Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 01:21 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,365,908 times

Advertisements

Officer Ice has invoked his fifth amendment right to remain silent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoEhhPo8hI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 01:36 PM

11,686 posts, read 6,115,084 times
You can't blame the dog. He was just checking the lunch for contraband.

He was taste testing it in case some perp had tried to poison the police officer. A very noble gesture by a selfless K9. Hero medal deserved.

My German Shepherd dog (GSD) once scattered an entire bag of Fritos corn chips all over my back patio. Suffice to say, he inherited them. If you don't catch him red handed, you can't really punish him.

Another time my GSD scattered an entire bag of Hershey's chocolate candies all over the patio. Fortulately they were individually foil wrapped and I caught him before he figured out how to unwrap the packaging. Suffice to say, I recovered them all and enjoyed them at a later date.

Meanwhile, my GSD had to settle for a small slab of cheap beef ribs, which he never took long to polish off, bones and all, but kept him quiet and occupied for a while.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 02-16-2023 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 09:25 PM

7,389 posts, read 12,704,198 times
Right after we adopted her, our GSD mix Tribbles stole an entire roasted chicken off our kitchen counter while we weren't watching. She was a little over 1 year old at the time. When we realized where the chicken had gone, we were terrified, not because we'd lost our dinner, but because of all the cooked bones that could penetrate her gut, so we took her to the all-night animal hospital. They X-Rayed her, and sure enough, the entire chicken was clearly visible in her belly! It appeared that she had virtually swallowed it whole...The vet said to just let nature's digestive juices do their job, and we did. The whole chicken got digested, bones and all. Since then she's had a special love for roasted chickens...

Old 02-16-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Right after we adopted her, our GSD mix Tribbles stole an entire roasted chicken off our kitchen counter while we weren't watching. She was a little over 1 year old at the time. When we realized where the chicken had gone, we were terrified, not because we'd lost our dinner, but because of all the cooked bones that could penetrate her gut, so we took her to the all-night animal hospital. They X-Rayed her, and sure enough, the entire chicken was clearly visible in her belly! It appeared that she had virtually swallowed it whole...The vet said to just let nature's digestive juices do their job, and we did. The whole chicken got digested, bones and all. Since then she's had a special love for roasted chickens...
The first time I gave my GSD meat, it was a huge steak as a treat for him.

In my mind's eye, I pictured him delightfully savoring each bite as he enjoyed his delicious new meal of raw meat. Imagine my surprise. It was...

1. Snatch,
2. chomp,
3. chomp again,
4. Injest

...and DONE! Took all of 5 or 6 seconds. He tenderized it with two bites and then just swallowed it whole. So much for savoring his delicious steak.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:44 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,365,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Years back, I met some people who would give their dog the leftover carcass from their roast chicken. He had survived of those "treats" so who knows? Still, it seemed like a bad idea.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:18 AM

7,389 posts, read 12,704,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Years back, I met some people who would give their dog the leftover carcass from their roast chicken. He had survived of those "treats" so who knows? Still, it seemed like a bad idea.
Oh, it's definitely a terrible idea to give dogs chicken carcasses! Tribbles hasn't seen (or tasted) a chicken bone since her Great Chicken Caper 8 years ago. The chickens consumed by dogs and wolves in nature are "raw," and as far as I know their bones don't splinter the way a cooked/roast chicken's bones do. But I won't put that to a test! No chicken bones for the pups, period....

Old 02-17-2023, 06:02 PM

5,021 posts, read 10,718,497 times
Anyone who has a GSD knows not to leave them alone with food (especially lunch meat, which seems to be their favorite).

That said, a week after I adopted my GSD, I left him alone with a chocolate bar, which he ate whole with the foil still on it

Old 02-17-2023, 06:05 PM

2,703 posts, read 1,210,949 times
LMAO Woof "where's the beef" woof

This is hilarious

Old 02-17-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Anyone who has a GSD knows not to leave them alone with food (especially lunch meat, which seems to be their favorite).

That said, a week after I adopted my GSD, I left him alone with a chocolate bar, which he ate whole with the foil still on it

Smart enough to steal and get away with it. Gotta catch them red handed.

I learned to use a mirror. Dogs are smart enough to realize animals can't see from behind. Once I realized my GSD was "cheating" with my back turned, I started setting traps for him using mirrors. He got the shock of his life the first time he found out I had "eyes in the back of my head".

After that, I would use it for routine training purposes -- the whole sit, down, stay routine but with my back turned using the mirror to watch his response. It really helped later on when out around town that I could order my dog to do things behind my back and he would instantly comply.

Good around corners too.

Leave butter on the counter and place the mirror where you can see the kitchen from down the hall. Dog puts his paws on the countertop and gets a big "No! Leave it!" Dog is thinking, "how did he know???"

I will be using that mirror trick on my next GSD from puppyhood.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:45 PM

19,574 posts, read 9,580,047 times
I once knew a GSdog to grab a steak off a neighbor’s grill. Wonder to this day if it was rare, medium, or well done? Would not have guessed it was our dog until my Dad heard about this and then told us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs