Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2023, 04:04 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times

Advertisements

Alright, playing tennis balls is out because they drop down into the snow and it's Spring before we see them again

I was using a Jolly Ball with the rope running through it as my female loves it, however twice recently she has gotten a tooth jammed in and couldn't get the ball out of her mouth So those will be hitting the garbage bin this week.

I'm out of ideas on toys that are large enough to see/find in the snow, but nothing that she's going to hook a tooth into
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 03:48 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,930,669 times
I had a fetching fiend cattle dog in AK for 14 years. Winter and summer, snow, mud, whatever I'd be out there with a Chuck-It, often at dawn or dusk on AK's notoriously short winter days. I experimented with various types of glow-in-the-dark and flashing balls but kept going back to the basics. They were also an appropriate size for her mouth. For one thing they were cheap if bought in bulk. It helped to dye the balls screaming hot magenta. I'd buy tournament regulation white balls through a regional tennis club and cook up a dozen or so at a time using a dye bath on the stove. The correct dye and method made a huge difference in how bright they'd come out. True regulation balls also hold up much better than the balls often sold for dog toys. Many of those are rejects from regulation play. I always had spares on hand if she lost one. Snow is temporary. Lost ones always surfaced again the following spring. Screaming hot magenta also showed up better in what replaced the snow...roadside vegetation and wet beach sand!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-07-2023 at 04:02 PM..

Old 02-07-2023, 04:02 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Toys? Who needs toys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUL0KCIc48

Old 02-07-2023, 04:14 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I remember sitting in a tiny cafe in a small mountain town watching a man clear several feet of snow out of a driveway across the street with a big grain shovel. He was totally focused on his work and didn't seem to notice as a German Shepherd came up behind him and began launching itself into the air to catch every shovelful of snow smack in the face. Over and over and over again. The dog was in heaven. Obviously, something the two of them did on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs