Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 08:51 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I remember when I was a kid in CA. My Mom, me and my sister, my Auntie and the two cousins, would come to TX every other summer to see Grandparents and the TX branch of the family, five uncles ands and aunts, and a bunch of cousins. I remember Grandpa's dog never misbehaved, because he'd been trained not to. If your dog misbehaved in TX, people would tell you to "Get a handle on that dog!" Pesky dogs were just not tolerated, and you're right, it is not the dog's fault, it is the owners. Either they don't know how to train the dog, or they are just lazy. It takes time and effort to make a dog behave. I'm a fan of the Cesar Millan method of dog training, where the dog owner has to make sure the dog does not think that he, the dog, is the pack leader. Dogs think it's their duty to bark and snarl at strangers and lunge at the leash 'cause they're the pack leader. Once you get that straightened out, they will calm right down, but it takes time and effort to do so.
If you carefully watch Caesar's tv shows you will see that his amazing control over dogs comes from using a shock collar which can make dogs quite dangerous. It's not the way to train a dog anything except to anticipate feeling pain with little to no warning. The pack leader theory has been disproven, there is no "alpha" in a pack of dogs or wolves, they take turns leading the pack depending upon their individual skill and the task that needs to be performed. https://www.tuftsyourdog.com/dogtrai...the-alpha-dog/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 09:00 PM

246 posts, read 120,661 times
I love it when a person complains to me that their dog is stupid , refuses to listen, cannot be taught anything, etc. etc etc.

I always say , a dog is only as smart as their owner/trainer/caretaker.

I say that because it is true. In many cases the dog is much smarter than the human. Probably most.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:25 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
True but funny (to me story). So I took my big male GSP to the park in town. They've got a 2 mile trail, a little dog park fenced in- yadda, yadda. I just wanted to go for a walk in town to get him used to that environment. (We live outside of town on acreage). So walking around the trail, this older lady is walking 2 Afghan hound types. We are going to pass each other so I heel my dog but as dogs do- he pulls a bit to check out the dogs. The lady literally yells at me "TRAIN YOUR DOG!!".

So that peed me off. I said HEY WATCH. I let him off leash and yelled "HUNT 'EM UP!!" He takes off in coursing search mode, spies a few crows about 30-50yds away and locks up on point like this-

I said "He IS trained". She huffed off, old bitty.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
To be fair, some dogs are much more difficult to train, than others.

And Boston Terriers are about the squirrelly-est dogs there are, God love 'em.

OP, I'm surprised the dog went on and on for a long period of time, though - throughout your entire visit? That's certainly outside the norm.

I've had dogs that pretty much behave socially without any training or guidance whatsoever, they're just naturally calm, and I've had dogs that I've had to put away in bedrooms because they're pestering everyone.

And I've trained them the same. So it's not always a training issue.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:27 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,180,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you carefully watch Caesar's tv shows you will see that his amazing control over dogs comes from using a shock collar which can make dogs quite dangerous. It's not the way to train a dog anything except to anticipate feeling pain with little to no warning. The pack leader theory has been disproven, there is no "alpha" in a pack of dogs or wolves, they take turns leading the pack depending upon their individual skill and the task that needs to be performed. https://www.tuftsyourdog.com/dogtrai...the-alpha-dog/
Sounds like you don't have any actual experience with a shock collar....they DO NOT make a dog dangerous. First off, they are not "shock" collars...they are "E" collars. They can be used in vibration, noise (beeping) or with electrical stimulation. The level of stimulation is adjustable and in nearly all cases the level used in training is extremely low (can't hardly feel it at all). Yes, they can be abused but properly used they are a VERY effective training tool! I can recommend some good books on how to properly use an e collar if you (or anyone else) is interested. In them you would quickly see that abuse is NOT part of the process.
The "ALPHA" theory is up for debate. I have had wolf hybrids and can tell you very quickly YOU had better be the one in charge....they don't take turns!!

Old 01-25-2023, 04:41 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Sounds like you don't have any actual experience with a shock collar....they DO NOT make a dog dangerous. First off, they are not "shock" collars...they are "E" collars. They can be used in vibration, noise (beeping) or with electrical stimulation. The level of stimulation is adjustable and in nearly all cases the level used in training is extremely low (can't hardly feel it at all). Yes, they can be abused but properly used they are a VERY effective training tool! I can recommend some good books on how to properly use an e collar if you (or anyone else) is interested. In them you would quickly see that abuse is NOT part of the process.
The "ALPHA" theory is up for debate. I have had wolf hybrids and can tell you very quickly YOU had better be the one in charge....they don't take turns!!
Two of my best friends are dog trainers with several certifications, and they have had to work with dogs who have been the recipient of shock collar training, dogs who ended up with severe anxiety and displaced aggression. I would never use anything like that on one of my dogs, if nothing else it's a lazy way to train a dog.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:28 PM

837 posts, read 468,515 times
There are dogs that are untrainable. A lot of breeders won't cull litters of defective puppies and the puppies grow up to be atypical of their breeds and what's more pass on their defects to their progeny. A lot of the fault lies with the owner but there is also a genetic aspect that is out of reach of training, socializing, etc.
Many treat their dogs like their kids. BIG mistake! The **** dog is not a fur baby okay? It's a dog, an animal that you just may be incapable of controlling. There are lots of people out there who shouldn't have dogs. Keeping a 70lb German Shepherd in an apartment all day then coming home to pet him for 30 minutes a day or the doggy park on weekends isn't cutting it. It just turns them into psychotic schizophrenics with zero ability to adapt to anything because they are in solitary confinement all day.
I feel bad for dogs that are kept this way but again, they are animals not humans which means you have even a greater responsibility to them including not treating them like your kids.
One last thing. Any time it becomes apparent to you that your dog is over you in hierarchy it is time to get rid of it or take back control. He isn't living a dog's life when he is with humans and you shouldn't allow him to revert back to this mentality.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:45 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Two of my best friends are dog trainers with several certifications, and they have had to work with dogs who have been the recipient of shock collar training, dogs who ended up with severe anxiety and displaced aggression. I would never use anything like that on one of my dogs, if nothing else it's a lazy way to train a dog.
To be fair, their comment is correct in that you can ALSO use them with buzz or beep - no shocking at all. I don't know which one Cesar uses, though. And for difficult cases, like my rescue husky, an eCollar can be a life-saving tool. I've never used the shock on mine, just the buzz or beep, and haven't even used those since the first couple weeks of training with it. Now I literally just put the collar on, and his recall magically becomes about 200% more reliable. I was hesitant to use this tool at first, but my trainer said "would you rather scrape him off the road (if he escapes or gets off the leash and won't recall)?" 'Nuff said!

And you can't call me lazy, considering I worked daily/weekly with him and a very expensive private trainer for MONTHS after his adoption. We still work on it regularly, just not with the trainer now that it's been a year. He was a stray adult dog when I rescued him, plus the breed (husky) is already notorious for having lousy recall/obedience. So yeah, if a little collar keeps him from getting lost or killed for now? I'm fine with that. He's fine with it too, just a happy happy dog in general.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:25 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,180,299 times
Quote:
They were the recipients of improper "E" collar training...and that is a huge difference! The same thing can happen with other methods like the old "yank and crank" methods of the past or just poor training methods! I can assure you that you can achieve a higher level of training with an e collar......when done properly, than "positive only" methods that currently seem to be all the rage. Your comments clearly show your lack of first hand knowledge in this area as E collar training is far from a lazy way to train a dog. I work with my dog 4-5 hours a day. Now I will say, that some dogs that are extremely biddable might not need the use of an e-collar for basic level training but when you work with and own the breeds I do and are looking to compete at a very high level, this is a tool that helps.....and does NOT hurt the dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs