Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 08:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,756,381 times

Advertisements

That thread title is a bit ambiguous. Think about adding the letter S:

Humans food for dogs!

It works with the singular form of “humans,” too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 05:28 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,381,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Of course not, but mom used to occasionally drop a grape and the terrier loved them.
Keeping in mind that I read it on the internet so it could be complete hooey... but I understood it to say that the problem with grapes in cumulative. So one or two every week over the course of a year is just as bad for them as a bowl full all at once.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:43 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,019,197 times
I forgot to add - to a batch starting with approximately 15-20 lb of meat I add a couple of sheets of nori. I use scissors and cut the nori into little bits. I toss it in with the cooking meat, towards the end. Just need to moisturize it. Adds mineral and vitamins - things like iodine. You can get nori (aka laver, seaweed for sushi) at any Asian food market, I'm sure. Even the groceries carry some around here, but I get a better deal, and a larger package, at the Asian market.

Supplements like nori, or OTC vitamin/mineral supplements are not essential. They are NICE to have to optimize a diet.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,019,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Keeping in mind that I read it on the internet so it could be complete hooey... but I understood it to say that the problem with grapes in cumulative. So one or two every week over the course of a year is just as bad for them as a bowl full all at once.
Not. That cumulative is over a time period which is not infinite. Maybe one or two per DAY over a couple of weeks will be cumulative, but over a year, not so much. I've got work to do, and this is not my area of expertise, so I'll leave the task of details on the topic to anyone else who wants to pick at it.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:34 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,381,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Not. That cumulative is over a time period which is not infinite. Maybe one or two per DAY over a couple of weeks will be cumulative, but over a year, not so much. I've got work to do, and this is not my area of expertise, so I'll leave the task of details on the topic to anyone else who wants to pick at it.
I said over a year as an example. I believe the actual article said over a lifetime. It sounds unrealistic to me, but it was out there.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:08 PM

33,014 posts, read 36,569,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Most likely. The occasional grape wasn't going to kill her. We weren't worried.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,612,442 times
Our two dogs eat everything we do. And they both get an occasional chicken bone. Wife and I slipped out of town for a couple nights and had a rotisserie chicken left in the fridge that I bought earlier in the week. I just deboned it and split between the two dogs. Maybe that's why our chihuahua weighs 20 pounds and our dachshund weighs 40 ??

Old 12-30-2022, 04:50 AM

34,163 posts, read 83,264,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Does anyone cook for their dogs?
Some folks do it exclusively. I'll add a bit extra of <whatever> to the pan regularly though.

He loves eggs and salmon, chicken, steak and asparagus, brussels sprouts and oatmeal...
I've yet to finish a bowl of cereal since he showed up.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:34 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,204,171 times
Despite all the negative hype, companies like Purina have spent millions on actual research to determine what amino acids, vitamins, etc. are needed in dog diets. And they adjust their products accordingly. So I have always used dry food SUPPLEMENTED with tasty human type food for my dogs.

Negative hype is often used for new products to obtain a market.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:06 AM

35,822 posts, read 18,164,828 times
I feed my dog chicken hearts and peas and carrots on top of Hills Science Diet kibble.

With a package of chicken hearts, I boil them until cooked and then spoon 5 hearts, a small handful of peas and diced carrots and the broth they were cooked in into small snack ziplocs. Freeze them, and he gets a packet every day defrosted to room temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs