Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 06:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,123 times

Advertisements

I recently adopted the sweetest lab terrier mix. She’s a very kind and gentle dog but I’m wondering if she was devocalized by a previous owner. She’s very quiet but I’ve heard her attempt to bark and it sounds weird. Like a gagging/choking noise. She has also already had a litter at 10 months, does this mean she’s likely from a puppy mill I see mentioned on here? We’ve only had her a few days and will make a vet appointment, I’d imagine they’ll be able to tell us if she was devocalized, just wondering why the poor thing is so quiet. In addition, she’s very clingy but not in a way that stops you from doing anything. She’s very sweet and I want her to be happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 09:19 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's possible that she has been de-barked. it is also possible that she has suffered an injury to the throat at some point in her life.

Early puppies might mean a puppy mill, but it can also mean a careless owner who didn't have her spayed and couldn't be bothered to keep her confined. Because she is a mixed breed, it is most likely the later.

If it makes you feel any better, if she has been de-barked, she doesn't really know any difference and it won't bother her or have any effect on her life. She'll be just as happy squeaking as she was making a loud noise.

She will be happy with you if you love her and take good care of her, and give her some gentle structure in her life. Both Labs and terriers like to have a job, so train her to do a few little tricks so she can use her mind.

Old 12-03-2022, 02:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Welcome to C-D, and congratulations on your new pup! Our rescues (4, over the years) didn't bark until they had something to bark about = a sense of a home. First Dog was only 9 weeks old, so that doesn't count, but the other three, all young adult rescues, were well into their 3rd or 4th week with us before we heard them bark by the door or outside on the deck. By that time they had decided that they weren't going anywhere, and had started marking their territory with warning barks. So perhaps that could be part of your pup's story, too? Good luck at the vet's.

Old 12-03-2022, 04:20 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome to C-D, and congratulations on your new pup! Our rescues (4, over the years) didn't bark until they had something to bark about = a sense of a home. First Dog was only 9 weeks old, so that doesn't count, but the other three, all young adult rescues, were well into their 3rd or 4th week with us before we heard them bark by the door or outside on the deck. By that time they had decided that they weren't going anywhere, and had started marking their territory with warning barks. So perhaps that could be part of your pup's story, too? Good luck at the vet's.
This. All my recently rescued dogs were pretty quiet. It was temporary! It wouldn't worry me that a dog in strange surroundings is clingy. Once she feels more relaxed she may not be quite as much. Unless she's just a clingy dog! My last dog was a breed known to be velcro or "shadow" type dogs. She took it to the furry tumor level: attached at the hip. Never had to worry about her wandering much at all and her recall was great. Always a warm bed and couch cushion. I adored her for this and many other reasons.

OP mention the odd bark to your vet.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:48 PM

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the responses. The new pup did bark a few times today so we are happy but I will mention the odd sound to the vet when I go. The clinging is really not bad, she just wants to be where we are. She’s very sweet and we are enjoying her.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I've always found the 3 day, 3 week, 3 month concept useful. Our current rescues were kinda of a mess when we got them and it took Forrest almost a year to play with toys and be trusting of my husband. Congrats on the new pup, sounds like she's got a great life ahead of her.

https://savinggracenc.org/wp-content...3-Rule8218.pdf

Old 12-04-2022, 08:36 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
My dad rescued a Boxer that he heard was being abused. That dog never barked and we assumed he was either injured or actually de-barked. He was the best dog and lived a happy life.

Your dog will enjoy a similar life. Bless you for adopting.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I've always found the 3 day, 3 week, 3 month concept useful. Our current rescues were kinda of a mess when we got them and it took Forrest almost a year to play with toys and be trusting of my husband. Congrats on the new pup, sounds like she's got a great life ahead of her.

Thank you, appreciate this guide for expectations and advice.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
My dad rescued a Boxer that he heard was being abused. That dog never barked and we assumed he was either injured or actually de-barked. He was the best dog and lived a happy life.

Your dog will enjoy a similar life. Bless you for adopting.
Thank you, glad to hear about your Dad’s Boxer doing great.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:34 PM

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experience, she’s starting barking when family members come and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs