Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:28 AM

5,024 posts, read 10,741,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Thank you all for your insights and support, they are very much appreciated.

I've taken your advice and made an appointment with the vet for next Tuesday

I'd definitely be curious to know if she's had a stroke. Does that involve a CT scan or would bloodwork only be necessary? As far as 'potty breaks' go, I take her out every 3 hours (or less), but recently she's just sniffed around and then heads back indoors. It's only when I persist and take her out immediately again that she pees. She does get a bit disoriented on walks, nevertheless she does enjoy them and she has boundless energy when she's in the back yard.

Gemini thank you for the Dog Ten Commandments - you had me in And yes, I too love older dogs. I've never adopted a dog younger than 7 years old.

StarlaJane I'd never put her in diapers!

I'll repost again after I've seen the vet. Once again, thank you all so much.
I don’t think a CT scan is necessary or will even be recommended by a vet. My vet just listened to what I described and gave me some possibilities. From what she said, strokes are difficult to diagnose, especially when they are mild. What she did say, though, is that, when the strike affects movement, animals tend to get better after them, which is exactly what happened with my senior cat. However, the cognitive impairment caused by a stroke can be permanent.

WRT dementia, again, a vet will just listen to you describe the symptoms. Then, it is trial and error as to what works. I expect they will suggest melatonin.

Because of the accidents, the vet will probably recommend a urinalysis and blood work.

One thing that just occurred to me is that this could be some type of infection. I didn’t see in your OP if you said how long this has been going on but, as we all know, infections wreak havoc on one’s system and, although it isn’t likely, it is possible that her symptoms are due to an infection of some sort (like a bladder infection or UTI).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 01:05 PM

643 posts, read 410,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don’t think a CT scan is necessary or will even be recommended by a vet. My vet just listened to what I described and gave me some possibilities. From what she said, strokes are difficult to diagnose, especially when they are mild. What she did say, though, is that, when the strike affects movement, animals tend to get better after them, which is exactly what happened with my senior cat. However, the cognitive impairment caused by a stroke can be permanent.

WRT dementia, again, a vet will just listen to you describe the symptoms. Then, it is trial and error as to what works. I expect they will suggest melatonin.

Because of the accidents, the vet will probably recommend a urinalysis and blood work.

One thing that just occurred to me is that this could be some type of infection. I didn’t see in your OP if you said how long this has been going on but, as we all know, infections wreak havoc on one’s system and, although it isn’t likely, it is possible that her symptoms are due to an infection of some sort (like a bladder infection or UTI).
She's been having accidents over the course of the past 6 months or so. They're not very frequent though as she usually stands at the door when she needs to go out, but sometimes she doesn't give me the signal.

Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of things on Tuesday....

Old 12-04-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
She's been having accidents over the course of the past 6 months or so. They're not very frequent though as she usually stands at the door when she needs to go out, but sometimes she doesn't give me the signal.

Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of things on Tuesday....
I’m so glad that you are going to see the vet; they will be able to give you a definitive answer and a treatment plan.

That said, I would ask the vet to do a urinalysis just to be on the safe side (they’re not expensive). Kidney disease, UTIs and bladder infections/tumors are insidious and very easily go undetected. Kidney disease will show up on blood work but UTIs and bladder issues require a urinalysis in order to be diagnosed.

And, as we all know, our pets are great at hiding their pain and discomfort. So, even though the accidents aren’t happening that often, that doesn’t mean that everything is alright. I don’t say this to alarm you but to prepare you based on my own experiences with similar situations.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:40 AM

Update: Had a good vet visit this a.m.

He explained that due to her cataracts she probably can't see any threats and that would account for her lack of barking. She doesn't have any symptoms of a UTI as she doesn't strain when peeing and there's no trace of blood in her urine.

As for her cognitive decline...(laps and disorientation) he gave me Selegiline pills to try and to report any progress in a couple of weeks. Selegiline is a MAOI and regulates dopamine in the brain. He also gave me Fish Oil which may help her eyesight. He is doing blood tests both as a pre-dental* and to determine if her kidneys and liver are within normal ranges and to check on her white blood cells.

* She has to have her teeth cleaned and probably some extractions.

I'm really hoping the Selegiline pills work. From what I've read online they can be very successful in improving dementia in dogs. Fingers crossed!

Old 12-07-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Update: Had a good vet visit this a.m.

He explained that due to her cataracts she probably can't see any threats and that would account for her lack of barking. She doesn't have any symptoms of a UTI as she doesn't strain when peeing and there's no trace of blood in her urine.

As for her cognitive decline...(laps and disorientation) he gave me Selegiline pills to try and to report any progress in a couple of weeks. Selegiline is a MAOI and regulates dopamine in the brain. He also gave me Fish Oil which may help her eyesight. He is doing blood tests both as a pre-dental* and to determine if her kidneys and liver are within normal ranges and to check on her white blood cells.

* She has to have her teeth cleaned and probably some extractions.

I'm really hoping the Selegiline pills work. From what I've read online they can be very successful in improving dementia in dogs. Fingers crossed!
That doesn’t sound like a good vet visit, that sounds like a great vet visit

Thanks for the update, and fingers crossed for good news re: the blood work

Old 12-09-2022, 03:35 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,384,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
That doesn’t sound like a good vet visit, that sounds like a great vet visit

Thanks for the update, and fingers crossed for good news re: the blood work

I agree with all of this! Thanks for reporting back, and good luck!

Old 12-10-2022, 11:42 AM

Thanks guys!

Her blood work came back and all is good, within normal ranges. So I've made an appointment for 22nd to have her teeth cleaned. Estimated cost $1,200 to $1,500!!! Vet seems to think she'll do fine under anestetic....

Old 12-10-2022, 08:46 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,020,437 times
Quote:
Thanks guys!

Her blood work came back and all is good, within normal ranges. So I've made an appointment for 22nd to have her teeth cleaned. Estimated cost $1,200 to $1,500!!! Vet seems to think she'll do fine under anestetic....
That's some good news! Anesthesia: the state of the art these days, for pets, is pretty good. My understanding is that there is very little risk.

But the cost of cleaning the teeth seems excessive. I must guess that includes some extractions - even so . . . for a 15 year old dog, who is visibly declining? I would seriously be questioning the urgency for cleaning her teeth. Anesthesia still has SOME risk, even if little. And, yes, tooth problems can affect health - in a negative way. But at this point, what are we really talking about? A difference of months, or even days? I'm sure a lot of people, perhaps even yourself, will say "any amount for my baby!" But I personally don't have a large fortune, and sometimes I prefer to make my decisions with more practical considerations in mind. I would still fill her remaining days with what comfort and love I could.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:54 AM

1,345 posts, read 1,384,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
That's some good news! Anesthesia: the state of the art these days, for pets, is pretty good. My understanding is that there is very little risk.

But the cost of cleaning the teeth seems excessive. I must guess that includes some extractions - even so . . . for a 15 year old dog, who is visibly declining? I would seriously be questioning the urgency for cleaning her teeth. Anesthesia still has SOME risk, even if little. And, yes, tooth problems can affect health - in a negative way. But at this point, what are we really talking about? A difference of months, or even days? I'm sure a lot of people, perhaps even yourself, will say "any amount for my baby!" But I personally don't have a large fortune, and sometimes I prefer to make my decisions with more practical considerations in mind. I would still fill her remaining days with what comfort and love I could.

I think I would probably make the same decision -- UNLESS there is something about the extractions that will make a marked, positive difference in her remaining days, or if the OP can tell that there is some discomfort in her mouth that the cleaning will certainly fix.

But I'll repeat, lest it get lost in the shuffle: I'm really glad about the overall news and outlook!

Old 12-11-2022, 01:48 PM

I should have clarified that the dental estimate is in Canadian $'s and includes 13% tax. So in US $'s minus the tax, the cost would be between $750 to $990. There will likely be extractions as I've not had her teeth cleaned in years! The other reason I'm going ahead with it is that she will not let me touch her face/cheeks which leads me to believe she has some pain in her mouth.

I know the cost is high, but as the old saying goes..."You can't take it with you"

Thanks both of you for the reassurances re. anesthesia. According to the vet she will be well monitored during the procedure and he's done dental work on senior dogs before.

hiero2 despite her dementia, sight and hearing problems, she's got lots of life left in her. She bounces around the back yard, loves her walks, has a great appetite and overall still has good quality of life. I hope she lasts another couple of years - especially with her new shiny white teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs