Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 08:33 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times

Advertisements

My beagle tore both ACLs when he was just 4 years old. I have a whole thread where we skipped surgery for water therapy, laser therapy and walked him with a sling for 3 weeks and he's great now. The other course of action was weight loss.

He's a big boy around 52 lbs (yes he is 100% beagle just a big build). When he tore his ACLs I think he was like 59 lbs.

We put him on prescription food that's $115 for 28lb bag. We got rid of the daily omegas and milkbone morning vitamin (these 2 things alone were 25 cals). We were giving him 1ml of salmon cbd, which we brought down to .5ml which I want to say knocked off another 7cals.

The recommended food amount for him to lose weight is 3 daily cups, we give him about 2 3/4.

We've hit a road block.. He's just stopped losing weight but I don't want to starve the poor guy. He's more streamlined but I'd really like to see him under 50lbs.

He gets time in the yard in the afternoon where I go out on lunch and play with him and we try to get in a walk every day after work weather permitting.

I'm nervous about winter coming that he'll put on more weight again. Looking for any suggestions to stop that from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 12:11 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Nothing complicated about it. Decrease the food, and if it is possible, increase the activity.

Dogs are supposed to be hungry all the time. That's the way their biology works. Cut back on the food and treats.

Three cups of food sounds like a lot for dog food for a dog that should weigh less than 25 pounds.

In your dog's case, food isn't love. Food is killing him. If you love him, put him on a strict diet and show your love by taking him for walks instead of feeding treats.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:56 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Decrees food & replace with Green Beans or Carrots. Also have his Thyroid Tested!!

Old 11-15-2022, 11:41 AM

7,099 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Just like people you have to reduce the calories. Beagles aren’t supposed to be that big. We always had them growing up.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:04 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
That's a lot of excess weight OP. A couple of my previous dogs started to put on extra weight as they aged, but it soon came off with more attention on my part, more exercise, less of their regular premium food (not diet) supplemented with things that provide bulk and fiber. There are other low calorie people foods you can try to flesh out smaller meals. Check out the link. You CAN exercise him without injuring his ACLs...just needs to be more of it in a controlled manner. Mental exercise burns calories too.

https://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/good-...dogs-6813.html

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-15-2022 at 06:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 05:12 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Who is recommending that food volume? As stated earlier, 3c sounds like a lot. My shepherds get 3 cups/day. How are his legs now? The dog needs more exercise. Consider real exercise- weighted, vest, etc?

Old 11-15-2022, 05:18 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
I’ve had success with subbing about 1/3 of kibble with green beans. I’ve used no salt, canned cut green beans.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:32 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I’ve had success with subbing about 1/3 of kibble with green beans. I’ve used no salt, canned cut green beans.
Yep. My dogs all loved canned green beans...especially mixed with kibble and a little hot water to mix up familiar flavors. Those baby carrots were also eagerly accepted treats. I could sit on the couch with a bag of them but only got to eat half .

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-15-2022 at 06:03 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 10:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post

He's a big boy around 52 lbs (yes he is 100% beagle just a big build). When he tore his ACLs I think he was like 59 lbs.

The recommended food amount for him to lose weight is 3 daily cups, we give him about 2 3/4.

We've hit a road block.. He's just stopped losing weight but I don't want to starve the poor guy. He's more streamlined but I'd really like to see him under 50lbs.
That dog is too fat. Reduce the food volume. He won't starve.

I have a Pit Bull who is a lot bigger than a beagle. He gets 10 oz in the AM and 8 oz for dinner. A couple of treats during the day. He's nice and trim.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:55 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
In my experience, the amounts of "recommended" food on the dog food bags are usually way too high, so I'd reduce the amount down to at least a total of 2 cups per day. As has been said, dogs are just hungry all the time and you will need to find other ways to pay attention and show love. If you have resources ($$$) and he is dog-friendly, I'd suggest a few half-days per week of doggy daycare. That will give him some canine company, which takes physical AND mental energy (negotiating the pack dynamics), and reduce his boredom.

It does not sound like he's getting enough exercise. You mention that winter is a factor - is that because it's colder, darker, or icy? Unless it's because of ice, I think you'll just need to bundle up and keep after the walks. We have a dog who is part Beagle, with that thin Beagle coat, and she very much enjoys her winter jacket, so look for one of those.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs