Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 03:38 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,198,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Do you think the ferret enjoyed being thrown in the air with that sheet? I guess to a certain point....
Couldn't say. They're certainly smart enough to be individuals. I do recall mine loving to be tossed (gently) onto piles of laundry. He'd climb out of the pile, do the ferret version of happy dance, run back to me over and over again, chittering with joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 05:22 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,998,595 times
That's absolutely precious. I think I would have liked to have a ferret. I had a few guinea pigs over time. My very first pet was a big fat white guinea pig with pink ears. He was gorgeous. He used to sleep on my shoulder when I sat in the big easy chair reading a book. I have a photo of us like that, one of the few I have from childhood.

As for my dogs waking up early, DST didn't amount to a hill of beans for them this morning. My boy shook his collar at the same time he does every day. He goes by the sun, and his circadian rhythm!

Old 11-07-2022, 10:18 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,928,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
My 10 month old puppy wakes up super early. Sometimes around 6 a.m., even on the weekends when we WOULD like to sleep until 7. He goes to bed around 8:30 in his crate and we tried keeping him up until 9ish-10. That didn't do anything. Sometimes he will be so tired he will walk himself into his crate. I put him outside as soon as he wakes up, but half the time he stands at the window looking at me and then after a few minutes goes to the bathroom, so it's not an emergency. Any tips?
Don't take him out of the crate. Baby steps. He wakes up at 6am. Let him whine for 5 minutes. When he stops, that's when you open the crate and let him out. Keep extending the time. Eventually he will understand that he gets out of the crate when you are ready. The only way to break the cycle is stop responding to it, and the longer you let it continue the harder it becomes to change. At the moment you work on his schedule – as he understands the world at least.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:44 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I do have a dog door to a small, fenced patio so if an emergency comes up, they go out there rather than wake me up once they do not get crated.
This is the only solution if you NEVER want to be woken up too early. It's worked for me, even when my old dog was a puppy (adopted the new one as an already-trained adult). But obviously it isn't doable for everyone, as it depends on your housing situation. I've never crated a dog, though, and always have/had a dog door - except in one place where I didn't have a secured outside space. I'm nocturnal by nature and work late hours, so it's really the only way to keep my sanity!

Now if I could only teach my cats not to wake me up when they want to be fed... lol.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:49 AM

7 posts, read 1,943 times
you need to change your pet lifestyle. make him playful. i also face this situation with my pet. i consult with my pet vet and he told me to maintain and utilize the energy of dog. specially when it is a large dog. i suggest you to play with your dog before going to bed. and feed your dog 1 hour before putting him in bed.

Old 01-06-2023, 11:57 AM

402 posts, read 281,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
A senior dog, kids and a new puppy is a big order. If it were me, I would just get up and let him out, and then go back to bed. I am wondering who wanted this dog, as generally, that in our house would name the person getting up with the dog.
In our home it's a shared responsibility, not who wanted the dog. We both wanted the dog though. I think I posted this a long time ago, so for an update, he still wakes up super early, but this is when he hears me getting ready for the gym at 5 a.m. For about the past 2 months I just pick him up and put him outside, he does his business and then he runs back in and goes back to bed with daddy. Not ideal, but it's working. It's funny bc on the days my husband goes to the gym, he will stay asleep in his crate for mommy

Old 01-09-2023, 04:29 PM

936 posts, read 2,074,035 times
LOL, you're lucky he lets you sleep in until 6am at that age.

My puppy woke me up at least once a night around 2 or 3 am at that age, and this was in Feb in Colorado when it was COLD. It will pass by the time he's a couple months older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs