Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 573 times

Advertisements

If this is purely a question based on shedding, the Cane Corso is the only one of these three with a single coat that is short hair, so both the quantity and the frequency of dead hair they produce is lower.

But if you are contemplating getting any of these three breeds and are using shedding as the determining factor, don't. The only reason I can think of for someone trying to compare these three very different breeds for something relatively minor like shedding is if they are interested in getting one.

The only theme connecting all three of them is that they all attract a certain kind of person who wants a large, "tough" dog, and that's absolutely the wrong reason to get any dog at all, but especially these breeds. The GSD is a little more appropriate for a wider range of people/ living situations, but all three have become popular with people who shouldn't have them because they don't manage them properly/ have the appropriate environment & outlets for them. Good breeders of these breeds won't sell to people who aren't appropriate for the breed, which means the problem is compounded by these people winding up getting poorly bred dogs from bad breeders who will sell them what they want.

[url]https://mypupdog.blogspot.com/2022/02/how-much-is-cane-corso-puppy-complete.html[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 12:10 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
There is nothing wrong with getting a dog for protection. The Cane Corso is one of my favorite mastiff breeds, along with the Dogue de Bordeaux. I agree, these dogs need special training and handling, and they aren’t dogs for condos or tracts with small yards.

I’ve had lots of different kinds of dogs and have fostered and rescued still more. The main reason I’d want a large protective breed is the number of weirdos I’ve encountered in life, neighbors, druggie kids, or rural Washington where you don’t have to look too hard to find a few. Being tough or macho has nothing to do with it. A good guardian dog is worth their weight in gold. It’s easy to get a small nippy dog and have them yap when an undesirable person comes on your property, but then what. They can’t protect you, but a mastiff sends a different message.

Mastiffs are only for people who can provide them with what they need, but I’ve decided the next dog won’t come from a breeder but a shelter. If I look hard enough, there should be a puppy or young dog out there with good watchdog tendencies who won’t attack cats. But the next time around, it’s rescue for sure.

Oh yes, I have a Bouvier, he’s got a double coat, never sheds. He gets several trips a year to the groomer and does fine. If shedding is a big deal to someone, they should look at Xolos or poodles. My Bouvier recently had a second cancer surgery so it’s a matter of time. When he goes, my year old shepherd will need a play buddy. Who knows, maybe mastiff rescue is the way to go.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-16-2022 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs