Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 11:31 AM

32,707 posts, read 48,282,845 times

Advertisements

I've had dogs all of my life and sometimes they still mystify me.

Seeker was a cuddle puppy and then one day he decided that only babies sit on laps and that he was no longer a baby. If he got annoying all it took to get rid of him was to look like you were thinking about picking him up.

This morning he came to me while I was on the computer and begged to be picked up. I picked him up and cuddled him and then tried to put him down. He didn't want down. He wouldn't stay down and was almost frantic about wanting to be picked up and held. if I set him on the ground he tried to climb up me, pawing and jumping.

I can't work the computer and hold a 30 pound dog at the same time, so I moved to the TV, where he was insistent that I pick him up and hold him.

His behavior was so out of character that I examined him closely for sore spots in case he was hurt. No injuries or signs of illness. He wasn't acting frightened. I took him outside where he didn't want to be held, he wanted to run around and around like he always does. Nothing outside had frightened him. He's not the type to be frightened, anyway.

He ate his breakfast with enthusiasm, so he didn't have an ooffy tummy.

And then he settled down. Right now, he is asleep in the dog bed in the corner of my office. Whatever caused the strange mood is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 12:34 PM

14,575 posts, read 12,248,854 times
How was he with fireworks? Were there distant fireworks or gunshots you didn't notice but he did? We had one that would react that way to even distant gunfire, and he was a 90 pound dog!

Old 07-15-2022, 01:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,015,157 times
So he's what, 11 months now? Fear period? I only remember there are a couple of them at different points in development.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:25 AM

32,707 posts, read 48,282,845 times
Yes, 10 months and I think there is a fear period at 10 momths, but he wasn't acting afraid.

He couldn't have cared any less about the fireworks. I have three neighbors with gun ranges who practice often and he ignores gunfire and doesn't worry about thunder.

Whatever it was, he is over it and no longer wants to be picked up.

The only thing slightly different was we had a wild storm roll past later in the day. Very wild, fast moving, and brief, but I don't remember ever hearing about dogs having a strong reaction to changes in the air pressure or atmospheric conditions and we have had endless storms all year and he has never worried about them.

I'll probably never know what causes the weird behavior,

Old 07-16-2022, 10:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,085,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, 10 months and I think there is a fear period at 10 momths, but he wasn't acting afraid.

He couldn't have cared any less about the fireworks. I have three neighbors with gun ranges who practice often and he ignores gunfire and doesn't worry about thunder.

Whatever it was, he is over it and no longer wants to be picked up.

The only thing slightly different was we had a wild storm roll past later in the day. Very wild, fast moving, and brief, but I don't remember ever hearing about dogs having a strong reaction to changes in the air pressure or atmospheric conditions and we have had endless storms all year and he has never worried about them.

Anything different going on with you? Feeling ill or off?

Old 07-16-2022, 01:01 PM

2,842 posts, read 3,212,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I think my Aussie somehow knows when a storm is coming, long before I do, and gets clingy.
He's 7 and I hadn't noticed this until this year.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:42 PM

613 posts, read 1,021,440 times
Maybe he had a bad dream. But yeah, one of my dogs comes out of her room at changes in barometric pressure. So I know when it's about to rain.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:01 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,182,024 times
I’ve read that dogs can sense earthquakes coming by the very slight tremors and sounds associated. So maybe the same can be said of storms.

Old 07-19-2022, 01:41 PM

613 posts, read 1,021,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I’ve read that dogs can sense earthquakes coming by the very slight tremors and sounds associated. So maybe the same can be said of storms.
Reminds me of a wonderful short story by Arthur C. Clarke - "Dog Star." Must read if you like dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs