Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 07:45 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I am both relieved and happy to report that my dog did not get sick. I watched him until very late last night. I awoke this morning and found him his usual self, full of energy, ready for breakfast. I told my neighbour he must remember never to put down poison where any dog or cat or bird, etc., could access it.

I did water in the ant granules really well last night, and so far today, I have not seen the hornets return. This is at least the 4th year that they have come back to the same spots in the ground in front of our porches. I have to wonder what complex nest is buried deep down there, but I am not going to try to dig up anything as I will be relocating soon. I really do not wish these creatures harm. I just do not feel comfortable with them that close to our porches, and having my dog in the yard is an extra concern.
Good news that your pup is ok!

But, as for the wasps, seriously, you're almost certainly worried over nothing. Look up Cicada killers. It won't take but a few minutes of your time. They look almost exactly like a GIANT yellow jacket. But they are about as close to harmless as you can get.

If they ARE cicada killers, I TOTALLY get your fear reaction. They look VERY scary! Here's the Wikipedia page on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

The burrows are to SINGLE nests - they are solitary wasps. However, for solitary wasps, they do seem to like company, and so you can often find multiple burrows in close proximity to each other.

According to Wikipedia, the males can't even sting. And the females are only likely to if you handle them roughly, AND, when they do, the sting is nothing as bad as a yellow jacket.

I have a LOT of respect for wasps, and I kill any paper wasp nests in my yard - without exception. They can have the woods, I protect my yard. But if I had cicada killers in my yard? No sweat, dude. Leave 'em. And I wouldn't even worry about my dogs with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 08:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times
Yikes, the photos in that link do look like them. Gosh, I feel awful.... I hope the universe forgives me. It is just that they are so bloody scary looking! Something that big flying around in circles a couple of feet in front of me is enough to make me want to faint.

I was just outside watering the grass. The holes look abandoned now. I think they are gone. Well, at least in future if I see any, I will know what they are.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 4,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Huge hornets? And they are burrowing holes? Most likely they are Cicada Killers - COMPLETELY benign towards humans. We had a bunch one year at a golf course who are our clients. They LOOK scary as heck, but they are about as harmless as a wasp can be.
1st time saw one it was in front of my entrance door I needed to get in. Very scary big. I went to my neighbor who just moved it away gently with a stick and told me what you said about being harmless. It just sat hanging out most of the day in the shade (kept looking out window at it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs