Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 334 times

Advertisements

So I have an older Pomeranian that I adopted 2-3 years ago that has been diagnosed with CHF. At first I thought it was just tracheal collapse which has been common in alot of the older small dogs we have taken in over the years but an xray showed her heart was very enlarged and was pushing up on her trachea. They put her on IV lasix and in an oxygen chamber for the day and she came back like a new dog with no cough at all for a week. That was in January. Since then we have been on a regiment of taking a oral 20mg lasix twice a day as well as a 2.5mg Vetmedin twice a day with prednisone 5mg given here and there. She is still very very sprite and energetic and has a big appetite. Sometimes she coughs really bad and other times it is just here and there but at night it can be very often. She pees very frequently of course on lasix and we always keep plenty of fresh water out for her. In total her meds cost around $100 with the vetmedin being the expensive one at $76 for 50 tablets. I dont mind because the meds do seem to be helping her but I suppose my question here for others who might have gone through this is there anything else I can be doing for her? Are there any other meds that help with CHF? My vet is good but very old school so I didnt know if there was anything else available that would help her with the CHF. Also, she pees so frequently and it is always clear as water I worry about her washing out too much calcium, sodium, etc. Is there any type of supplement I should be giving her to make sure this does not occur? Thanks for any input you can provide, she is a very sweet dog that didnt have the best life before we got her and want to make sure im covering all bases here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 09:16 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,376,421 times
Hi. I don't have an answer but I repped you for what I thought was a great question - laying out the facts and circumstances really clearly. I especially liked the observation about the clear urine and making sure you're not flushing out too much that she needs. Your dog is lucky to have you on her side!

Old 06-19-2022, 09:43 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Yup, great 1st post!

Old 04-03-2023, 08:59 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,171,129 times
My 13 yo 5 pound toy poodle was dx with CHF and murmur in November. She started with the cough with the hack at the end but we had just boarded her for a week in October and assumed she had kennel cough. When she was seen the dr said she had a loud heart murmur and enlargement on Xray. He gave her lasix in the office and sent her home on vetmedin 1.25 mg divided into 2 doses, half tab in morning and 12 hrs later the other half tab or 1.25 mg total per 24 hr. Also on enalapril 2.5 mg in two doses half tab in morning half at night or 2.5 mg total in 24 hrs. Going back Wednesday to reevaluate because she paces a lot at night and coughs but during the day minimal coughing and at night she sleeps with us so frequently waking us up coughing and pacing. Has anyone else had a combo of these drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs