Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:27 AM

585 posts, read 496,407 times

Advertisements

The vet says he needs to be hospitalized with an IV but my family and friends think he needs to be put down. He is a 10.5 year old Boston Terrier with heart disease. We took him to the emergency vet last night and his blood work was normal, he didn’t have any changes to his heart so they said it probably something in his brain. He has had about 5 seizures in less than a 24 hour period. He foams everywhere. Loses some bowl control. That last one he threw up his food. What could cause this so quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 11:00 AM

333 posts, read 79,822 times
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, it's so hard.

I had a Boston that started having seizures at about the same age, they said more then likely it was a brain tumor which is pretty common with this breed. We put her on meds to control the seizures and she lasted about a year before her attitude starting changing and then she had a seizure that she didn't fully come out of, we had to have her put to sleep.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:03 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
My favorite Maltese had heart disease and at age 11 she had 3 strokes in 2 days where she would scream and pee herself. I put her to sleep.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:05 AM

585 posts, read 496,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom25 View Post
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, it's so hard.

I had a Boston that started having seizures at about the same age, they said more then likely it was a brain tumor which is pretty common with this breed. We put her on meds to control the seizures and she lasted about a year before her attitude starting changing and then she had a seizure that she didn't fully come out of, we had to have her put to sleep.
We have him on meds now and they aren’t working.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:09 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
At his point in my life, yes.

I've served my sentence with epileptic dogs. It costs a small fortune, the vets are happy to vacuum out your pockets even though they know that nothing can be done. Your whole life starts to revolve around "how is the dog feeling today".

So if the dog has seizures and some simple medication doesn't bring it under control, then it is not going to be fixable. The dog doesn't have good quality of life.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:09 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,216,804 times
When my 14 year old basenji started having seizures and the meds didn't seem to be working, I decided to let him rest in dignity. I felt so bad for the guy - even the vet didn't believe he was 14. I cried and still have nightmares about his seizures (and this happened 20 years ago).

I don't regret my decision...but I loved that dog!

Only you and your family can make this decision. It's the hardest you may ever make.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:26 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
I think this is for you to decide. BUT What quality of Life does she have? Meds do take time to get the correct dose. Contact your vet ASAP!

Old 03-15-2022, 06:36 AM

249 posts, read 238,292 times
If the meds aren’t working, as heartbreaking as it is, it might be time… my old lady lab mix had a seizure out of the blue and we had the scan done to determine it was a brain tumor. Meds did keep them from happening so it bought us a few weeks at least. I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:19 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,006,278 times
For me, I would say it's time. Either way your decision goes, my condolences.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:45 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,397,772 times
My Cairn Terrier started having them when she was older (~13). Horrible to watch. It was only when she got excited, or when we bathed her and she went to shake herself dry afterwards--we learned to wrap her in a towel so she would not shake herself.
She also had trouble with her hips. After about a year, after her 3rd steriod shot to kick start her hips, the kind Vet told me he thought it was time. I loved her too much to watch her quality of life go down, to watch her suffer. The next day we were back at the Vet's to put her to rest.

It is difficult to make those decisions. Pets spend their lives taking care of us, sometimes we need to take care of them and do what we think is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs