Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 07:21 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times

Advertisements

I have never seen a flea or tick on either of my pups. I admit that I am not religious about flea and tick medications either. Honestly Im surprised Ive never seen any critters on them. Coming into warmer weather and long walks in the woods and through town, I want to make sure the ticks cant get on them. So, my doctor has been giving them Simple Guard 3 but its expensive and I would like to find something effective that I can buy from Chewy or at the pet store that is less expensive.

I have a JRT that is 12 lbs and a labrador that is 65 lbs. I like the topicals better i feel like they are less likely to cause an adverse reaction. Any suggestions of something you have good experience with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
I let my dog have an annual Lyme vaccine, and in addition to that, I apply Frontline Plus monthly. For past dogs, I have liked Vectra 3D, because it also addressed mosquitoes, but the first time I gave it to this current dog, she flipped on her back and tried really hard to get it off. She was a nearly-feral 5- or 6-month-old rescue at the time, so it MIGHT just have been an extreme "THAT FEELS REALLY WEIRD" reaction, but in case it was something more serious, I switched to Frontline Plus.

I also give Sentinel heartworm tablets monthly and it's my understanding (I could be wrong) that the mosquito-borne thing that is most worrisome for dogs is heartworm, so that makes me feel better about not-using the Vectra 3D.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:59 AM

Is the sentinel heartworm available OTC?

Concerned about Lyme as my husband got it last year and had to do this crazy treatment

Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Is the sentinel heartworm available OTC?

Concerned about Lyme as my husband got it last year and had to do this crazy treatment

No, the Sentinel I buy at the vet's office.

Yes, Lyme disease is no fun at all.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:53 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I've had good luck with the Seresto Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs. The collar lasts 8 months and is 59 dollars +/-

They encourage you to use it year-round but I haven't had any issues putting it on in March (before the ticks come out) and removing it in November. (let them go without protection from December to March)

It works out to less than 5 dollars per month.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
This is what we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

We don't use it year round. Only when there is a problem.

We use OTC livestock ivermectin (with vet's blessing) for heartworm. We have livestock, and are accustomed to using it.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I've had good luck with the Seresto Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs. The collar lasts 8 months and is 59 dollars +/-

They encourage you to use it year-round but I haven't had any issues putting it on in March (before the ticks come out) and removing it in November. (let them go without protection from December to March)

It works out to less than 5 dollars per month.
I have seen good things about these but both my dogs are chewers and I'm afraid they would eat them

Old 04-08-2021, 07:08 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I have seen good things about these but both my dogs are chewers and I'm afraid they would eat them
It's around the neck so unless they chew each other's collar it would probably work. Do they have collars now and if so do they chew at them?

Old 04-09-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It's around the neck so unless they chew each other's collar it would probably work. Do they have collars now and if so do they chew at them?
They do have collars and sometimes my JRT chews on my labs collar. Sometimes my lab used my JRTs collar to pull him around. My JRT doesnt chew on his collar as he cant get to it but he has chewed through any tags we hung on his collar, his rabies tag and his name tag have both had to be removed

Old 04-10-2021, 03:59 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
I used to use Seresto. You need to google the complaints and deaths due to the collar. EPA is being asked to ban it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs