Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 08:58 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,732,134 times

Advertisements

Hi, our Terrier Chihuahua mix has been having liquid stools since Friday. It's been to the point where at night she would go the bathroom in her cage.

We had 2 good days. However, tonight was another explosion and made an appointment with the Vet for Thursday.

Not sure what is causing her to have these issues.

So we stopped the wet food for two days and gave her it this morning. She has been on this wet food for at least 3 maybe 4 months.

Wondering if it was a bad batch.

Any ideas? Worried about our little girl still a puppy only a year 1/2 old.

She still has a lot of energy running around the house and playing. Eating solid food and drinking plenty of fluids.

One thing is our little pup will only poop once a day now. Seems she is saving it for one large drop.

Thanks!

Last edited by RunD1987; 12-10-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 09:43 PM

7,224 posts, read 4,610,631 times
Give her chicken and rice which should help.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Has she been fully vetted and wormed?

Boiled chicken and rice will help and you can give her Imodium AD.

Lay off the canned food... it’s garbage.. like fast food for dogs. Get her on a good quality kibble.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,480,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
...Lay off the canned food... it’s garbage.. like fast food for dogs. Get her on a good quality kibble.

Kibble is not always the best answer. I've been feeding my dogs (all adopted at older ages) canned dog food for as long as I've been adopting them (45+ years -- they're all large breed dogs whose average longevity is @ 11 years). I admit the reason I've fed them all canned food is that they were/are older and had bad/missing teeth so canned food was/is easier for them to eat. But none of them have ever suffered due to the canned food. In fact, one lived to be 14.5 years old and died of a heart condition which she had when I adopted her at the age of 8 years old.

I did have one dog who ate some kibble when a relative was staying with me and fed her own dogs kibble. My dog got very sick on the kibble and almost died of bloat. She had to have part of her stomach and all of her spleen removed.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Kibble is not always the best answer. I've been feeding my dogs (all adopted at older ages) canned dog food for as long as I've been adopting them (45+ years -- they're all large breed dogs whose average longevity is @ 11 years). I admit the reason I've fed them all canned food is that they were/are older and had bad/missing teeth so canned food was/is easier for them to eat. But none of them have ever suffered due to the canned food. In fact, one lived to be 14.5 years old and died of a heart condition which she had when I adopted her at the age of 8 years old.

I did have one dog who ate some kibble when a relative was staying with me and fed her own dogs kibble. My dog got very sick on the kibble and almost died of bloat. She had to have part of her stomach and all of her spleen removed.
I would suggest a raw or partially raw diet but not everyone is up that task.

I can see canned food for elder (or any) dogs with using teeth, but to feed a healthy dog nothing but canned food isn’t ideal.

And of course the type of kibble also matters but not everyone feels that way

Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,596,173 times
Take her off all food and give a tablespoon of canned pumpkin puree (plain pumpkin not pie filling) and plain greek yogurt. This usually works well for a digestive upset and usually resolves the problem in 24-36 hours.

If this D+ goes no for more than a few days it is a good idea to have the vet check her out.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:26 PM

143 posts, read 145,313 times
My first thought is some sort of parasite possibly giardia or coccidia. If possible take a sample of D for the vet to look at under the microscope. When I am caring for a dog with several bouts of digestive upset I give a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for 2 days. Then I start adding regular food back in a little at a time over several days.

Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) is a good source of fiber that can help regulate the bowels of a dog with a sensitive system when added to their regular food. Use it in moderation as too much fiber can cause problems (the same or opposite).

Old 12-18-2019, 09:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,732,134 times
Hey guys!

So after a week off the wet food pups bowels have normalized

I am debating to put her back on wet with dry or just leave it dry

I am not sure if was a bad batch of wet either because pup has to been on this food for almost 6 months

Any recommendations for wet food?

Do you think pups need wet food or is dry good enough?

Old 12-24-2019, 11:21 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,596,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hey guys!

So after a week off the wet food pups bowels have normalized

I am debating to put her back on wet with dry or just leave it dry

I am not sure if was a bad batch of wet either because pup has to been on this food for almost 6 months

Any recommendations for wet food?

Do you think pups need wet food or is dry good enough?
Dry food is actually better for small breeds. An all wet food diet can lead to dental issues.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:08 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,503,260 times
Kibble is the worst "food" you can feed your dog. Visit a rendering plant, if you need proof. Any nutritional value the ingredients MIGHT have, are cooked away at high temperatures.

Also, kibble "cleans" a dog's teeth about as well as Doritos would clean a human's.

A dog can survive eating kibble, but s/he isn't thriving.

OP - PLEASE do some research. There are vets that are educated in canine nutrition. Many have websites and many have written books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs