Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 PM

306 posts, read 545,771 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with my laminate floors. Recently moved into this house and the first day my little dog slipped and fell on the floor and hurt her leg. Since then I've also come close to slipping and falling and so have a couple other people. This is with and without shoes on. One of my cats even has slipped but I haven't seen him fall. Kinda odd for a cat to slip, so that tells you how slippery the floors are.

I've steam-mopped the floors with just water and that helped for almost 24 hours, but now we're back to where we started. I've heard of a couple different products such as Skid Safe and a couple others, but I'm looking for something I can apply / do on my own, and where I can still have the pets around even while the floor is being "fixed." Rugs and runners will not work as I have a couple elderly cats, and well, they just won't work with them around.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "intentionally scratching" the floors with something, for example steel wool, but it's a little difficult to scratch 1700 sq ft with steel wool. Is there anything I can use to do that? Maybe some sort of a buffer-type machine that can scratch the floors instead? I realize that sounds silly, but I'd rather live with scratched floors than have my pets and visitors constantly hurt themselves, My poor doggie still hasn't healed from her fall because she keeps hurting the same hip / leg all the time on those floors.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Rosin. Rustolium also makes an anti-slip spray coating for about $10 or less per can.

Scratching the floor won't accomplish what you want.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Instead of destroying floors-
Get a better grip...

https://newatlas.com/split-toed-suct...p-shoes/21808/

Old 10-04-2019, 05:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Instead of destroying floors-
Get a better grip...

https://newatlas.com/split-toed-suct...p-shoes/21808/
OK, we'll let you be the one to put those on the cats. Stock up on Band-Aids first!

Old 10-04-2019, 05:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Rosin. Rustolium also makes an anti-slip spray coating for about $10 or less per can.

Seriously, I wonder if violin rosin dissolved in a solvent might not do the trick.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Seriously, I wonder if violin rosin dissolved in a solvent might not do the trick.
IIRC, that is the concept behind some of the products used for commercial floors. Any of the chain supermarkets with terrazzo floors use a product that becomes MORE slip resistant when wet. The telltale is how crepe or some other shoes sound on those floors.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:46 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, we'll let you be the one to put those on the cats. Stock up on Band-Aids first!
Not worried about the cats. Cats always land on their feet!

Old 10-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Not if you tape a bit of toast to their back and then put jelly on that. Toast always lands jelly side down.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Cats can hurt themselves when they fall, plus my cats are elderly, so it's unsafe for them. My dog is still limping from sliding and falling on the floor to the point that she's very afraid to walk around the house anymore.

You're right, I can do something about the soles of my shoes, but what do I do about visitors to my home? So although my pets are my main concern, the next concern is human visitors and those of us living in the home as well.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Thank you. I'll try that. Have you heard about non-slip powder? Someone suggested that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs