Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM

2,261 posts, read 4,773,581 times

Advertisements

...it's not as bad as you think. Due to me being gone for a week, and my wife's weird work schedule we thought we'd give doggy daycare a try. My wife took him in the day before I left for the evaluation which he passed she dropped him off Monday and picked him up that night, and they told her that he has a few issues that he needs to work on before he's allowed back in. They said, and I noticed this to, that he isn't very comfortable with getting his butt sniffed, and has a tendency to greet other dogs nose to nose. Also all the other dogs would come up to him, and he'd run and hide in his cage. This baffles me a little because anytime we go to the park, my parents house, or if he sees another dog he will move heaven and earth to go play with that dog(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:26 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,026,936 times
At the park - fun place - with you. At the doggie daycare - strange new place - without you. Definitely a pattern.

I don't understand why they gave him the boot. Was he aggressive towards other dogs? Just going to a safe place in his cage should not be an issue. And, IMO, a responsible daycare won't put him with other dogs if he has issues. It might be a different story if he responded aggressively to other dogs. But you didn't describe any aggressive bahavior.

The more I think about this, the more I have to wonder if this isn't a very good doggie daycare to begin with. A good daycare would have a place where he didn't have to meet and greet ALL the other dogs. They should have a space for him to meet, and perhaps play with, as few as one or two dogs. If they don't, why not?

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,452,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
At the park - fun place - with you. At the doggie daycare - strange new place - without you. Definitely a pattern.

I don't understand why they gave him the boot. Was he aggressive towards other dogs? Just going to a safe place in his cage should not be an issue. And, IMO, a responsible daycare won't put him with other dogs if he has issues. It might be a different story if he responded aggressively to other dogs. But you didn't describe any aggressive bahavior.

The more I think about this, the more I have to wonder if this isn't a very good doggie daycare to begin with. A good daycare would have a place where he didn't have to meet and greet ALL the other dogs. They should have a space for him to meet, and perhaps play with, as few as one or two dogs. If they don't, why not?
I think it depends on the daycare. The doggy daycare I used would have worked with the dog to get him to come out of his shell. However, after moving, I took him to a daycare at a boarding kennel, and while it was a very good boarding kennel for some of the dogs I had, they were terrified of my Catahoula because he made a racket when he didn't get his way. My previous daycare had never reported a problem and the trainers there were in love with him. I think that may be the difference - some daycares use trainers and others use people who just like dogs.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 AM

23,567 posts, read 19,340,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
In those other places your dog is meeting others one on one and also some dogs he's familiar with (at the park or friends/family's houses, even if its just scent...tells him a lot). Plus you are there as backup. At this new day care he's meeting a bunch of dogs who probably all know each other. He's the stranger, you are not there, he doesn't know which humans have his back, and that's got to put him on the defensive more. Don't blame him really, but yes, a good day care should know how to handle this a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs