Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,928,690 times

Advertisements

We have two large dogs at home already. They are great dogs and we love them.

We have a 6 year old female. She is sweet but does take a while to welcome new dogs in her area. She is also fairly possessive with other dogs, but we manage it well.

And we have a 3year old male dog. He is a big dope, but in a good and lovable way. He will "warn" people if they reach over my shoulder, which is a trait I wish he didn't have. Just a low throat growl and he is reprimanded immediately. Other then that, he is just a playful guy...fairly laid back as long as he isn't alone (then he cries and scrapes at the door).

We want to get an ESA pup for my daughter (don't worry, I have ever plan to keep this EAS at home and not drag it around town or airports, etc). We have narrowed it down to the cavalier king charles or the cavapoo...all over it says it makes a great ESA. I talked to some owners and breeders and they all said it would be a good match for our needs and our other dogs.

But I am a bit stuck on gender. I think a male might be easier to integrate with the other dogs...but I am not sure at all. My daughter would prefer a female, just because she is 12 and its a girl thing. But she would be over joyed with a male too.

Any inside info on which gender might be a better pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,376,508 times
Either way, you are going to get your emotional support animal nuetered, so get what your daughter wants.

Occasionally, you can look at a litter and let a pup pick you, but usually you will b ave to have a pup reserved

Old 12-06-2018, 05:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,618,482 times
All my dogs have been fixed. When I have had issues it has been with the females. My males have been loveable guys that accept any dog while the girls have been fussy about who they will accept. The only fights I have had between my own dogs have been two females. My girls have been more jealous and huge attention hogs when it comes to people so shove the males out of the way. The males will just walk away but if another dog did that to one of the girls I have had they would not just let it go.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:03 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,083,352 times
If your female is a bit of a brat I would get a male puppy. I think it's an easier integration, let the girl be a diva and the boys should be just fine.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
We have two large dogs at home already. They are great dogs and we love them.

We have a 6 year old female. She is sweet but does take a while to welcome new dogs in her area. She is also fairly possessive with other dogs, but we manage it well.

And we have a 3year old male dog. He is a big dope, but in a good and lovable way. He will "warn" people if they reach over my shoulder, which is a trait I wish he didn't have. Just a low throat growl and he is reprimanded immediately. Other then that, he is just a playful guy...fairly laid back as long as he isn't alone (then he cries and scrapes at the door).

We want to get an ESA pup for my daughter (don't worry, I have ever plan to keep this EAS at home and not drag it around town or airports, etc). We have narrowed it down to the cavalier king charles or the cavapoo...all over it says it makes a great ESA. I talked to some owners and breeders and they all said it would be a good match for our needs and our other dogs.

But I am a bit stuck on gender. I think a male might be easier to integrate with the other dogs...but I am not sure at all. My daughter would prefer a female, just because she is 12 and its a girl thing. But she would be over joyed with a male too.

Any inside info on which gender might be a better pick?

In some breeds at least, the girls can be more intelligent and more 'busy' and occasionally a little more emotionally independent; while the boys can be more laid-back and affectionate. There are exceptions to the rule, though. The best thing to do is to find a responsible breeder (which rules out the 'cavapoo') and discuss the needs of your household with her/him.

I would personally think that a male puppy would be best if your 6-year-old female is not overly friendly to new dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs