Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 05:42 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times

Advertisements

Following our vet's advice, we've been feeding Riley a bland diet the past two days because he has had some gastroenteritis in the past.
After he barfed up a puddle of twigs and sod and his dinner on Sunday, these 'hiccups' started. He is a goat and will eat twigs, dirt, freakin' ROCKS if you let him (we are monitoring very closely). He is not choking and he is not retching. They have subsided greatly but he still has them occasionally and I want to take him to our vet for a once over. He is eating well and evacuating well.
But I am going to follow up with the vet today. Her take, over the phone on Monday morning, was that hiccups generally occur in puppies, but because of his past gastroenteritis, this might be hiccups.
Anyone have experience with anything like this? The hiccup'y action appears to be coming from his diaphragm, in the front of his chest.
I AM CALLING THE VET TO GET HIM IN TODAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Problem is, if she can't see him she generally recommends I take him to the vet hospital, which is $150 just to walk in the door and then usually a few hundred dollars after that (not that I won't do this if necessary!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
Distemper.
Even vaccinated dogs can get it. The voughing, gagging, throwing up...

Old 12-08-2018, 06:19 AM

^^ I guess we'll see what our vet says at our appt on Monday. He was still intermittently hiccupping but it has really tapered off. Still taking him in because.....well....because. He doesn't cough, but he does occasionally barf up the twigs and stuff he seems to LOVE to eat (we are really trying to curtail that, but you chase a blue heeler around the yard when he's hell-bent on eating this junk He doesn't really 'gag' either, except when he's going to urp. We'll see what she has to say. thank you...

Old 12-08-2018, 10:03 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Get a muzzle for the dog for the future. There are a wide variety that could keep him from eating things off the ground. You would have to introduce it slowly, but it can be done so there's not a struggle each time.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Get a muzzle for the dog for the future. There are a wide variety that could keep him from eating things off the ground. You would have to introduce it slowly, but it can be done so there's not a struggle each time.

yep, that's the plan!! he does seem to have a compulsion to eat like a goat, and I am also going to speak to our vet about his food. We feed him a really high quality kibble with canned food from the same company, and for variety, we also feed him cooked hamburger, ground turkey, rice, etc, mixed in with the kibble. He is healthy w/a beautiful coat and very good 'elimination.' I wouldn't think poor nutrition is an issue. I think he is bored.
"Hiccups" are now greatly diminished, didn't see any at all yesterday but we're still gonna go see the vet tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs