Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 09:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

I use a dollop of beef baby food to give my dog pills 2-3 times a day
The pet pill pockets include chicken as ingredient --she is allergic to poultry...
And I mix beef baby food w/her food as an enticement

There are two brands--Gerbers and another -Beechnut
Gerber's lists "lemon juice" as one of few ingredients
Beechnut only has beef and broth

Anyone noticed any problems with the Gerber brand?
I think using it for several days in a row might give her acid stomach
I usually get Beechnut but in out area that means WalMart vs Publix
My husband bought Gerbers last time and got like 10 jars on sale so we've been using it for week or so...

My dog was acting like she does w/stomach issue after she ate dinner
She was restless, moving and doing downward dog stretching and panting
I gave her hand Pepcid AC and she was able to go to sleep in few minutes...

Just wondered if anyone had noticed any issues with Gerbers beef?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:59 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
I usually just any pills in a bit of soft cheese. A few years ago I had an old foster dog on meds that could get picky and I used a bit of meatball. You could make up little meatballs ahead of time of whatever protein works for her.That finicky old gal never turned away a meatball. I also give the same “treat” to each dog, sometimes making a production of giving the other dog their treat first so the one receiving the pill will be so excited to get theirs.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:53 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
When I have to give a pill I either mash some canned meat dog food I have on hand or cheese around it or insert it into a chunk of less-objectional hot dog. Whatever my dog recognizes as a special treat. If I need to entice a bit more (not often necessary ...usually I have to protect my fingers from enthusiasm ) I'll give a piece of the treat without the pill first.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I did when he was sick and would not eat anything else and my vet also recommended that I use that in cases of when he would not eat anything else .

Old 12-04-2018, 04:20 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
There can't be much lemon juice in there.

I've never fed any baby food except for Gerber rice cereal for first meals for puppies. I know people who use the baby food strained meat and no one has had any problems with it.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
She just has a really iffy stomach
Our vet said to,use the baby rice cereal and the beef baby food when she was having gastric issues earlier this year

Just going to use the Beechnut
They have different consistency if you compare them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs