Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 3,892 times

Advertisements

Was walking along the path, around the fenced dog area, the over-excited dog runs over to me and starts jumping onto the fence, I coo it and look over at the young owner who's kind of looking at us like she doesn't know what to do, just staring, she pulls her phone up and starts playing with it nervously as I'm walking by, I'm looking at the dog and back at her because it's a long fence and it's kind of irritating for it to give so much attention, she's kind of pointing the phone at us and not acknowledging me at all...

I don't understand. I'm not a 20-something. Does that mean if your dog runs over to someone trying to be played with or something that you as a dog owner don't say "Hey rufus, come over here" and stand there like you don't know what to do like the person is creepy for just walking by?

The older folks do this, they call the dog over, they greet the person (say hi or sorry), they don't stand there like a dumb deer in the headlights and start playing with their phone in the middle of snowing and act like they're recording a mugging or something while their dog is going after someone...

Can someone explain this? Is this happening more often now? Are we not teaching our children how to handle their pets and acknowledge a human exists in front of them and maybe might be bothered by their over-excited or aggressive dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:47 AM

11,163 posts, read 7,980,972 times
Perhaps you should stay away from dog parks... if over excited dogs bother you. Dog parks are for dogs to run around and burn off some energy. Dog lives matter!

Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,023,984 times
I have seen 10 years who didnt know how to control a dog. I have seen 20 year olds who didnt know how to control a dog. I have seen 30 year olds, 40 year olds, 50 year olds, 60 year olds, 70 year olds, 80 year olds, and 90 year olds who didnt know how to control a dog. See a pattern here?

Its all about the owner. Not about any particular age.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,881,544 times
A very similar thing happened to me and my boys once at a park, except the dog wasn't behind a fence. The person just stood there kinda looking around vaguely and smiling. She was in her mid to late 40s by the look of it.

It's ridiculous to bring age into this, but I expect you knew that.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,703,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidata View Post
Was walking along the path, around the fenced dog area, the over-excited dog runs over to me and starts jumping onto the fence, I coo it and look over at the young owner who's kind of looking at us like she doesn't know what to do, just staring, she pulls her phone up and starts playing with it nervously as I'm walking by, I'm looking at the dog and back at her because it's a long fence and it's kind of irritating for it to give so much attention, she's kind of pointing the phone at us and not acknowledging me at all...

I don't understand. I'm not a 20-something. Does that mean if your dog runs over to someone trying to be played with or something that you as a dog owner don't say "Hey rufus, come over here" and stand there like you don't know what to do like the person is creepy for just walking by?

The older folks do this, they call the dog over, they greet the person (say hi or sorry), they don't stand there like a dumb deer in the headlights and start playing with their phone in the middle of snowing and act like they're recording a mugging or something while their dog is going after someone...

Can someone explain this? Is this happening more often now? Are we not teaching our children how to handle their pets and acknowledge a human exists in front of them and maybe might be bothered by their over-excited or aggressive dog?
are non-millennials generally bitter?

Old 12-02-2018, 01:01 PM

255 posts, read 169,233 times
Quote:

A broad statement but I can’t disagree - at least not for most. When did dog owners become so uncomfortable with being IN CHARGE of their dogs. I vomit a little in my throat every time I hear “fur baby” or “fur mommy”! In addition to sounding ridiculous, like a little girl playing pretend, if you handled your “skin kids” the way these dopes handle their pets, they’d either be in prison by high school, illiterate, obese, out of control, or dead. Of course we are seeing this lack of backbone in parenting too. And don’t even get me started on their poor choices for breeds and not considering their lifestyles. Too many Disney movies maybe.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,191,575 times
Millennials can't do sith unless there is an app on their phone for it.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:37 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I have seen 10 years who didnt know how to control a dog. I have seen 20 year olds who didnt know how to control a dog. I have seen 30 year olds, 40 year olds, 50 year olds, 60 year olds, 70 year olds, 80 year olds, and 90 year olds who didnt know how to control a dog. See a pattern here?

Its all about the owner. Not about any particular age.
Yep. Sorry OP, can't hang this one on Millennials at all, regardless how convenient a scapegoat they might be. Ridiculous.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
well let us just say there are some stupid animal owners out there and don't have a clue indeed so just chalk it up to that .

Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,460,127 times
Quote:

Funny, I am not a millenial but in my area, the WORST offenders of not handling dogs well seem to be baby boomers. If we are painting with a broad brush I can think of at least three recently retired people on my block who bought ridiculously inappropriate breeds and are completely overwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs