Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,725,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
OH, she's ADORABLE!

Glad you took her in...and she'll add to your holiday fun.
Thank you. She's very charming, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thank you for that information. Because we only have her for a month, my friend will have to do the bulk of the puppy raising but she has done it before. It reminds me of having a toddler in the house.

As far as taking her in, we couldn't resist. Even my husband is smitten.
Really cute puppy! Who could resist is right Those big brown eyes!

They are like toddlers lol.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Quote:
Thank you for that information. Because we only have her for a month, my friend will have to do the bulk of the puppy raising but she has done it before. It reminds me of having a toddler in the house.

As far as taking her in, we couldn't resist. Even my husband is smitten.
Aww what a sweetie.

Housebreaking a small breed pup takes time and patience. My 10 week old is good through the night in her crate(I will see if she has to go out when I use the bathroom in the middle of the night) but during the day all bets are off. I take her out after eating, after playing, after getting off my husband's lap, and every 30 minutes or so just to be sure. She also spends a lit of time outside but if I don't take her to her spot and say "hurry up" she might go back inside and pee. BTW, she pees about a teaspoon full. I'm not sure if her bladder is that small or she doesn't empty out.

I don't think she wants to go where she sleeps which is good. If you can't be there maybe you can close her off in a small room with some puppy pads or newspapers. I don't like doing that but I can be here all day. Good luck and have patience. A small dog does take time.

Funny I asked in a group how long it took everyone to house train their Shih Tzu. Many people said 8, 10, 12 weeks to be fully trained. Uh huh...I looked at their pictures and they all and they all had carpet. Seriously a teaspoon or even a tablespoon would not be noticeable on carpet The others who said it took much longer had hard floors.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Funny I asked in a group how long it took everyone to house train their Shih Tzu. Many people said 8, 10, 12 weeks to be fully trained. Uh huh...I looked at their pictures and they all and they all had carpet. Seriously a teaspoon or even a tablespoon would not be noticeable on carpet The others who said it took much longer had hard floors.
When they replace their carpet one day they will find out the truth

Old 11-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Aww what a sweetie.

Housebreaking a small breed pup takes time and patience. My 10 week old is good through the night in her crate(I will see if she has to go out when I use the bathroom in the middle of the night) but during the day all bets are off. I take her out after eating, after playing, after getting off my husband's lap, and every 30 minutes or so just to be sure. She also spends a lit of time outside but if I don't take her to her spot and say "hurry up" she might go back inside and pee. BTW, she pees about a teaspoon full. I'm not sure if her bladder is that small or she doesn't empty out.

I don't think she wants to go where she sleeps which is good. If you can't be there maybe you can close her off in a small room with some puppy pads or newspapers. I don't like doing that but I can be here all day. Good luck and have patience. A small dog does take time.

I saw on another of your posts that you have a new puppy too! So cute!

Ugh on the carpet. Our floors are all tile and area rugs and I'm thinking I can smell puppy pee all the time, even though we wipe it all up immediately. We're actually moving out of state during the same trip where we are going to deliver the puppy, so I'm thinking we'll just ditch the area rugs and start over in the new house.

(And yes, only idiots would take in a puppy during a month when they are selling a house and moving to another state with the 2 dogs they already have.)

Old 12-01-2018, 08:47 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yes. When I have a puppy I set timers for twenty minutes at first unless the pup is sleeping. When they wake up, out they go. After a week of that, I ratchet the time up to 30 minutes. I always ring a bell at the door (hangs from a knob) as we go out, so when they start to ring the bell, I drop everything, take them out, and let them out.

It isn't unusual or unheard of to take a puppy out, she pees, back in the house, she pees a bit again five minutes later.
Yes, this! Our youngest dog was exactly like this as a puppy. (she is now 2 1/2) I also use dog bells on the door. Some days I have to have patience though... she rings them just to go outside, look around, and sniff the air lol

I don't ignore the bells when she rings though. All you need is one time when they really do have to go and it seems you've just let them out, that your dog goes inside at the door. Yes, it's your fault for not listening, not theirs.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
I just wanted to add that when you go to the vet, just check to see if the puppy has been micro-chipped. Odds are it's not, but just in case. And you could have one implanted while you're there, and the chip info can always be edited to your friends' info later. This microchip service is free:

https://www.freepetchipregistry.com/

Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,560,413 times
My wife had a peek a poo puppy a friend gave her. She lived in a mobile home with her semi invalid mother and hadn't ever heard of crate training. MIL couldn't always get up to take the puppy out and my wife said the puppy kind of trained herself to go on the rug in the bathroom. Wife used puppy pads while she was at work and the dog took to the pads right away, didn't need any training. When we got our second puppy, the first was about 5 or 6 years old and we think she had more to do with house breaking the second than we did. New puppy just followed her and saw when and where she went.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:53 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,641 times
Quote:
I truly appreciate all of that advice. But is the frequency with which she is peeing when she is out of the crate (8-10 times in a 4-5 hour period) normal?
I don't think the above is unusual. Our little guy would not pee in his little pen all night long, but he would pee very frequently when let out. I would take him out about every 30 minutes to begin with. After several weeks of this and gradually trying to lengthen it out. I bought a sack of high quality dog food I wanted to transition him to later, started giving it to him as a treat when he peed in the right place. Very quickly he learned to go to the door when he wanted/needed out. He does make me go walk him around sometimes just cause he likes it out, but, no more inside accidents.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just wanted to add that when you go to the vet, just check to see if the puppy has been micro-chipped. Odds are it's not, but just in case. And you could have one implanted while you're there, and the chip info can always be edited to your friends' info later. This microchip service is free:

https://www.freepetchipregistry.com/
I did get her checked for a chip and she didn't have one, but thanks for the reminder. I forgot to ask about getting her chipped when I took her to the vet on Saturday, so my friends will have to do that.

Also, the vet estimated her age about about 10 weeks so she is younger than I thought. She's getting the idea about peeing outside and will sometimes walk to the door to go out. But, just like a kid, if she's playing she'll just stop what she's doing and go wherever she is in the house.

She's also pretty much stopped peeing in the crate, so we're making progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs