Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't care what breed it is, if it is already growling at a BABY!!! (not a toddler who approaches), the the dog would be GONE from my house, in the ground or to someone without kids and knows how to handle the breed.
Me too. I can't believe this is even an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 PM

255 posts, read 168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So let me get this straight... your son already rehomed this dog once when his life changed, and now is going to do it AGAIN?!

Two marriages, different environments, new babies, new dog number two, this poor animal has been punted around like a football. For the love of Pete, someone needs to give this animal some stability. Sounds like rehoming with w responsible owner is the best that can happen. And please tell your son to stop buying dogs and concentrate on acting like a grown up. This thread really takes the cake.
Dogs are remarkably adaptable. Dogs with a solid temperament may have an initial adjustment period in a new home, maybe having accidents in the house, going of the food, being withdrawn, but they quickly adapt to the new home. Show dogs start out in a breeder's home, go to an owner (sometimes), then get shipped off to a handler, then travel every, if not most weekends, living out of a hotel room/crate or Winnebago, go back home during off time, sometimes get shipped to a different handler, maybe get retired to a different home, at some point maybe get shipped off to be bred and/or whelp a litter, back home, countless people, handlers, groomers, other dogs coming and going, etc. throughout it's early years. They do just fine. Dogs are not fragile little hothouse orchids whose life falls apart with a change of ownership. This is not a justification for being aggressive. This is a dangerous dog.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
People aren't going to like what I'm about to say...

Dogs have to hold up their end of the bargain too. We keep dogs to enrich our lives, not the other way around. That comes with a lot of responsibility on our end, but that responsibility ends where day-to-day realities begin. That includes living a normal life, where one can have a family, go to work, etc...

Also, at its core, it means that my dog is a trustworthy companion around me, my family, and my guests. And, while some people are lazy, and some people go to the ends of the earth trying to make it work, there comes a point where People are justified in making a hard decision. If a dog is so destructive, or shows violent tendencies, or care is so difficult that it becomes a constant drain, decisions must be made.

Unless one impulsively gets a dog without the resources to handle it, or gets a dog that is inherently ill suited to their lifestyle, there is nothing irresponsible about rehoming a dog.

And, if a dog is unpredictable around people, there is no shame in having it put down (not saying this is the case here, it just sounds like she needs a no-kids home.)

This is a dog they've had for eight years. Sure, her situation hasn't been ideal but its hardly unique. I know a half dozen dogs at least that have been separated from their owners in the midst of various deployments; they're all nice dogs and many of them are champions in their various fields of competition.

The No-Kill movement combined with the Adopt-don't-shop and Retail-Rescue is going to cause a lot of Breed Specific Legislation. People that labor under the delusion that its simply all weak handlers, bad owners, poor training, etc...But some individual dogs simply don't belong with anyone other than a trained professional, and even then aren't predictable.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The dog is a Dogo Argentino. I’m sure they are contacting the network of Dogo people they know to try to place her. She is 8, and spayed.

My husband and I were with the kids and both dogs, about 4 years ago, when she snapped at a little boy who came up to pet her. Up until then there was no clue that the dog had any issues. Fortunately the boy was not hurt.

The dog had a rocky childhood, so we don’t really know if she was ever mistreated, or why she seems afraid of children.

Now the kids have the 10 month old and the dog has growled at the baby twice. I don’t know the circumstances.

I hope they can rehome the female to a childfree home, but one way or another, she needs to go.

Believe me, I have no clue why my son thought this big dog was a good idea, but he got her 8 years before there was a child in the home. Then, they went and got a second one a few years ago. The male is a very good dog.
Being familiar with the breed, I would NOT have a Dogo around a small child....that is a prescription for disaster! Things could go really bad in the blink of an eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs