Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:18 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,973,721 times

Advertisements

This is about Dante, Rhodesian mix, 90 lbs, some to be 2 years old.

The other night we took the drone up, and Dante comes bounding up barking at it (normal), jumping around and all of sudden yelps, and doesn't stop yelping all the way back to me where he hides behind me and will not come out. I thought he injured himself by twisting a paw or stung by a centipede or something. But full body inspection and pushing abdomen and paws.... nothing caused him to react. Took me forever to coax him back into the yard.

Ok, weird...

Next day, DH is playing with him in the yard, and he is running back and forth, and same thing, runs off with tail practically between legs to GO IN HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!! Don't think he yelped this time, but DH had headphones in.

Both times, tail down, puffing his cheeks (he does this when upset), ears flat against head, and in Mom mode.

I don't think it is physical, as both days he was playing with Steve and never yelped, or favored a body part and they wrestle.

I'm at a loss.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 12:17 PM

255 posts, read 169,538 times
Maybe he has a pinched nerve or pain that is intermittent. Do you ever do something and then suddenly your back, neck, or knee catches and it practically brings you to the ground? Sometimes you can try to recreate it to figure out what's wrong and it doesn't hurt, then when you least expect it - BAM!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:20 PM

Another weird incident.... had him jump into the SUV, and one paw came down on the plastic and skidded out a little.... he freaked out and wouldn't stay in the car, he jumped out and wouldn't get back in, we had to lift him. When I probed the paw nothing bothered him.

Either something is bothering him physically, or he is going through a weird scaredy-cat period.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:28 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,010,814 times
Sure sounds like SOMETHING hurt - even if it wasn't painful a minute later. The car thing sounds a bit like youthful "fraidy-cat" time, tho.

One of my past dogs - I was teaching him to fetch at maybe a year old. Something happened once when he picked up the toy. He yelped, and dropped the toy. I could not figure out what was wrong - but he NEVER would fetch again, the rest of his life. I have guessed that he got stung by a bee when he picked it up, but I don't know. But it was beyond my powers to fix it afterwards.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,575,158 times
Have you changed his diet at all? I'd look at the simple things first. Has he eaten anything different. Is his sleep disturbed for any reason. has the weather changed. Is he exposed to new animals. Just any simple basic changes that might have occurred.

Then, I'd take him to the vet just to rule out any kind of illness.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,514,775 times
The only time my dog acted like that it was caused by something with his back. I did not know it at the time. I thought it was something with his paw too. I have rose bushes he would frequently dig around in so I thought it was that. He would be fine a few days later so I ignored it. A year passed then the same thing. The third year it went on for a week so I took him to the vet. He still wouldn't jump so vet thought it was a torn ligament that would heal on it's own. It ended up being a bulging disc causing him to act fearful and refusing to jump.

Your dog is a little young for this problem, but just thought I would throw this out there as behavior is similar.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:03 PM

I'm still torn on whether it is physical or mental.

Yesterday I baked wings which caused the smoke alarm to go off, which I am sure is unpleasantly loud for the dogs. Told them is was okay, and continued doing my stuff.

Came downstairs couldn't find Dante, went outside nope.... not coming... finally found him in the half bath (which is where we kept him as a puppy.)

He came out shaking, and puffing his cheeks... finally got him outside where he crawled in my lap still shaking.

We were leaving so I gave him a mild sedative.

This could be unrelated.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM

255 posts, read 169,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Yesterday I baked wings which caused the smoke alarm to go off, which I am sure is unpleasantly loud for the dogs. Told them is was okay, and continued doing my stuff.

Came downstairs couldn't find Dante, went outside nope.... not coming... finally found him in the half bath (which is where we kept him as a puppy.)

He came out shaking, and puffing his cheeks... finally got him outside where he crawled in my lap still shaking.

This could be unrelated.
If your dog is in pain, then something like the smoke alarm could certainly set him off. Dogs are very stoic and by the time they show signs of being in pain, it's usually pretty bad. They don't want to be seen as weak because in the pack, that's a good way to be taken out. If you have a migraine or some other horrible pain, you are likely to react in abnormal ways to various things.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,358,267 times
I know back pain is awful for me AND my little dog. But it typically will cause spasms, won't it? The first time her tummy was rock hard and I knew she was in pain. I was sure it was digestive but the vet quickly discovered back problems.
If you know any animal Reiki or energy work practitioners, I used to be skeptical but the right person is golden. If nothing else it would be like a spa treatment for him. But normally they can pinpoint energy blocks which are usually where the pain is.
My little dog is afraid of the THOUGHT of pain. She's been through a lot. I wonder if a fire ant might have gotten her? Have you combed your yard?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

This could be unrelated.

He is telling you he hurts. Make an appt. with the vet, he needs a full exam, an x-ray and blood work at the very least before whatever is causing the pain gets worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs