Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 12,203 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
I am looking for either a micro or tiny teacup poodle to adopt. Thanks! [mod] edit [/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-21-2008 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: sorry, no advertising or solicting - but a very valuable thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
I was under the impression that there's no such thing, and those sold as such are just runts.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I would warn against any dog that is bred as teeny tiny (yorkies too). They are often known to have genetic problems. My sisters grooms a poodle that was born without a pancreas (yes!) and has to be on insulin it's whole life.
Go for a chihuahua, they are pretty small naturally.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
Poodles are advertised for sale almost weekly here in Hot Springs. Usually as just "tiny".

I was surprised to learn recently that the term "teacup" does not exist in the REAL world of dog breeders. The docu I watched warned against buying from someone who represents themself as a breeder and offers teacups for sale.

You might be able to find what you want thru a rescue group. You can find a poodle rescue group on-line or ask your local shelter to keep an eye out. You just never know....

My first and last time to own a poodle was thirty years ago...but the chi-chi we bought fifteen years ago was one of the smallest we'd ever seen. He was called an applehead but they didn't advertise him as a teacup...just a tiny toy.

Good luck...

Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar7632 View Post
Hey guys!
I am looking for either a micro or tiny teacup poodle to adopt. If anyone has any or knows of any for sale, please let me know. Thanks!
Hmm, I have never heard of a "mirco" any breed of dog, so I can't help you with that. And as far as tea cup dogs go, I have always heard that those are nothing but unusually small dogs for the breed and the "breeders" just throw "tea cup" in there to get people to pay full price, if not more. I would think that an unusually small dog would be prone to more health problems than a dog that is average size for the breed. I'm not a breeder or an expert on any of this though, so I don't know. And I'm definitely not here to try to stop you from getting the dog you have decided you want. I would suggest you check out shelters and breed rescues. A lot of people seem to think that shelters only have mutts, but that is not true at all. A lot of pure bred dogs run away and end up in shelters, a lot of pure bred dogs are given up by their owners, etc. Shelters do end up with quite a few pure bred dogs. So, I would suggest you check around at local shelters. However, I would think you would have better luck at a breed-specific rescue. I would say to look for Poodle rescues in your area and see what you can find. OH! NVM.. lol! Your post kind of confused me, you said you are looking to adopt a dog which makes me think you are wanting to rescue, but then you said you wanted to know if anyone knows of any for sale? If you aren't looking to adopt, I would strongly suggest you do some research on reputable breeders and find a breeder that way. I would never suggest buying from a pet store, those poor puppies normally come from puppy mills and puppy mills don't need anymore support. And I wouldn't suggest you buy from a backyard breeder, they don't need anymore support either. With puppies/dogs from puppy mills and backyard breeders, they just mass-breed for profit. They do not breed for quality and you will most likely end up with a sickly dog that has countless health and behavioral issues. So anyway, I personally would never buy a tea cup anything, but as far as you finding a dog, again, if you want to adopt, check out shelters and breed rescues, and if you want to buy, find a reputable breeder. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
According to the Poodle Club of America:

"Those interested in the Poodle should be aware there are three varieties of Poodles; Toy, Miniature, and Standard. There is no officially recognized Poodle variety such as a “Royal” Standard, a “Tea Cup“ Toy or a “Tiny Toy” Poodle. These are all just marketing terminologies to facilitate the sale of animals that are in reality just dramatically over or under in size from the norm."

So, while teacup poodles aren't a distinct breed, they are selectively bred to be smaller than normal toy poodles. Good breeders will try to breed out the health problems that some smaller sized dogs can be prone to. However, there are so many poodles and other dogs in shelters and rescues, I'd encourage you to go there for a dog first. I am on the board of a poodle rescue group and we get very small poodles from time to time. Most of them have health problems, such as liver and kidney problems, thyroid issues, skin problems and dental issues. The ones that are healthy are likely to stay that way, so with a rescue dog, what you see is what you'll get. Getting a puppy is like Russian roulette.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:16 PM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
I have a toy dog and I love her dearly but I wouldn't recommend one as said they have a lot of health issues,my little girl is a constant at the Vet.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Really tiny dogs often have health problems. One thing that happens is if they run around too much or do not eat many tiny meals their blood sugar drops and they can actually die from this in a very short period of time.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 AM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
Hard time in the cold/heat.joint problems and other things.
I am so glad I got my little girl,I don't think anyone would have had her at the Vet as much as I do,the Vet says she is his favorite dog,I wonder why :-)

Old 11-23-2008, 05:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
One thing that happens is if they run around too much or do not eat many tiny meals their blood sugar drops and they can actually die from this in a very short period of time.

This only occurs in puppies. Because the liver is relatively immature at whelping, it's unable to store energy as glycogen, which is simply multiple sugar molecules bonded end-to-end. As the puppy matures, the liver does, as well, and the liver is able to easily store sufficient glycogen to supply the dog's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs