Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
. . .

Also, he said that I should soak her bad toe (long story) in a chlorhexidine bath for 5-10 minutes twice a day. This is next to impossible.
. . .
I do have a couple of suggestions. One talk to this vet. Ask about the chlorhex treatment, and discuss your financial means.

First - the chlorhexidine. Chlorhex is like an atomic bomb for germs - boom - wipes everything out. Which tells me the vet is worried about an infection on the skin or very near the surface. (Chlorhexidine can also be use orally for the mouth and teeth, but it isn't used for deep wounds or anything like that, I think. ) If the dog won't stay put for a soak, how about a quick rinse 4 times a day, instead of two? Find out what the vet is concerned about that the vet wants 5-10 minutes of exposure to chlorhexidine. I think you only need a few seconds to get the atomic germ boom.

Next - the finances. Be as forthright and upfront as you can be. The vet may be willing to knock a little off, or may have suggestions about how you can approach the situation and make it more workable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 03:54 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
That's a reasonable price.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-26-2017, 04:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,101,028 times
Thanks, y’all! Very helpful replies!

She’s a geriatric weim. Her bad toenail grows ten times faster and thicker than the others. My hubby stepped on it when she was underfoot and it came off overnight. No blood and no sign of the nail anywhere. It was hideously red and swollen and she wouldn’t stop licking it.

It’s getting better now.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks, y’all! Very helpful replies!

She’s a geriatric weim. Her bad toenail grows ten times faster and thicker than the others. My hubby stepped on it when she was underfoot and it came off overnight. No blood and no sign of the nail anywhere. It was hideously red and swollen and she wouldn’t stop licking it.

It’s getting better now.
Glad it's getting better. If she's still licking it get an Elizabethan collar. Stopping the licking will promote healing. They're not that expensive and can be ordered from Amazon. It won't get better until she leaves it alone. I had something similar happen to one of my dogs and the nail bed ended up being so infected he had to have surgery to remove it. It sounds like since she's on the mend that won't be an issue.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Glad it's getting better. If she's still licking it get an Elizabethan collar. Stopping the licking will promote healing. They're not that expensive and can be ordered from Amazon. It won't get better until she leaves it alone. I had something similar happen to one of my dogs and the nail bed ended up being so infected he had to have surgery to remove it. It sounds like since she's on the mend that won't be an issue.
Another thought, besides a collar, is booties. My dog won't stay in a collar, but will tolerate booties (go figure). I use baby socks for basic, around the house, healing protection. I have had to do it for mine a couple of times when they damage their pads through hard work. Baby socks at a local big-box store are cheap.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:37 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Another thought, besides a collar, is booties. My dog won't stay in a collar, but will tolerate booties (go figure). I use baby socks for basic, around the house, healing protection. I have had to do it for mine a couple of times when they damage their pads through hard work. Baby socks at a local big-box store are cheap.
If the collar is used properly, they can't get it off. The booties could trap in more moisture and I'm guessing the injury needs air to dry out and heal. A lot of dogs will pull stuff off their feet. The last thing you want is them messing with that area since it's injured anyway. Some dogs will also eat socks. Older dogs, especially large ones, often have problems with traction. If the OP has any hard floors, booties/socks could make it easier to for the dog to slip and harder to get around. It's great that it worked for you though.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
If the collar is used properly, they can't get it off. The booties could trap in more moisture and I'm guessing the injury needs air to dry out and heal. A lot of dogs will pull stuff off their feet. The last thing you want is them messing with that area since it's injured anyway. Some dogs will also eat socks. Older dogs, especially large ones, often have problems with traction. If the OP has any hard floors, booties/socks could make it easier to for the dog to slip and harder to get around. It's great that it worked for you though.
Yup - all of what you are saying is 100% true. Well, 99% - I have two dogs who have gotten out of collars, and I don't know how. They have also opened locked crates that they were in. Do not ask me how - but they are much better at this than most dogs.

I like the baby socks, in part, BECAUSE they "breath" and allow moisture out. Now, if they get wet, you have to take them off and put on dry. I've never checked, but I think the baby socks likely contain cotton, and it holds moisture - so wet socks are not good. On the other hand, cotton is pretty good for seepage like from wounds, as it can breath and dry out small amounts of moisture. Still needs to be changed.

And, yup. they can be more slippery than bare feet. But, all that said, sometimes they can be a solution. Manufactured dog booties are expensive, and making your own dog booties is not a trivial task. So baby socks can be useful in the right circumstances.

Collars, properly used, right, good solution! But sometimes, the dog strongly objects, or the owner doesn't like the hassle - or whatever, eh? Baby socks can be a way to keep the dog from "messing with that area". So, nice to have options, right? And we ALL do have to be intelligent about our options - and seriously take into consideration all the negative possibilities you have mentioned. Every one of them is a real possibility!

Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,896,519 times
Where I lived we had some great (and some terrible) low cost clinics that are like what you explained (although it was $18 to see the vet). It was a major city, so there were lots of options. But regular vet clinics just bleed you dry with their costs. I hate it. And they tend to guilt you if you don't want to spend extra on unnecessary things. I wish we had a low cost clinic where I live now. I thought they were great. Now I avoid taking the dogs in unless we have to...because they will suggest unnecessary tests, prescribe meds that cost way more then I used to pay for them, prescribe foods they don't need, etc.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:13 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,409,031 times
I'm in Chicago and my vet charged $80 for an exam fee.. it's pretty expensive over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs