Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,430,957 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about joining Rover.com or a similar site/organization and providing dog-sitting services for one dog at a time (absolutely no more than that). I'm home all day for my job, and I have a ridiculously playful kelpie who exhausts himself and the other dog whenever we have a guest. Right now we have a rather ridiculous Boston terrier (owned by a friend of my roommate) staying with us for a couple weeks. My dogs are very gracious with guests - the kelpie just wants to play with them, and the Houla just takes the kelpie's distraction as an opportunity to monopolize me a little bit.

There are already several people who ask if their dogs can come over for play dates with my dogs (mainly the kelpie), so that's kind of what gave me the idea.

I have a ton of crates and beds, a secure yard (unless the dog is very small or likes to jump more than 5 feet) where I nonetheless never leave my dogs unsupervised, I'm rarely out of the house for more than a few hours, and my dogs are pretty mellow about other dogs. The Catahoula will occasionally put another dog in its place, but he's very measured about it, and I would insist on a preliminary meet and greet to make sure the dogs "get" each other. (He absolutely does not get greyhounds - thinks they are aliens from another planet.) It's also not hard to keep dogs apart from each other in my house - we do it all the time because my roommate's dogs are not always fans of the dogs we're watching for other people.

I'm not the best dog trainer, but I've been working with dogs since I could walk, and I've turned some very difficult animals into happy house pets. And I've been petsitting so many dogs for free over the years, I don't think there's any whammies that I'd get from the average dog. So I was thinking when my roommate moves out (eventually), I'd like to start offering one-on-one boarding services or possibly the equivalent of doggy daycare. I was thinking $30 a night and $20 just for watching a dog during the day. It would keep my dogs entertained, at the very least.

Does that sound reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,579,951 times
With all those plusses, I think it's a wonderful idea Jrz.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:19 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,086 times
Sounds very reasonable to me.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Yay! I was wondering if I'd need to get another roommate, but if I can just pull in a fraction of what I get from the roommate by petsitting, I should be fine alone in my house. This would be an easy and enjoyable way to bring in the necesary extra income - I just really like spending time with dogs.

Even this weird Boston terrier is growing on me. Still don't understand the appeal of the breed, but she regularly cracks me up, and she totally put my roommate's dog in his place, even though he's 5 times her size. My Catahoula is completely disturbed by her - I think the wheezing freaks him out - but he likes her. The kelpie is enchanted, despite the wheezing. I keep worrying with how hard they're playing she'll have some sort of asthma attack, but her owners said she self-regulates just fine.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,035,202 times
I thinks it's a great idea.

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but just thought I'd mention double-checking all licensing and zoning issues. Also make sure that you have adequate insurance for it. While homeowner's insurance would most likely cover an issue in the case of a friend petsitting, they may very well look at it quite differently if it's a business.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I thinks it's a great idea.

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but just thought I'd mention double-checking all licensing and zoning issues. Also make sure that you have adequate insurance for it. While homeowner's insurance would most likely cover an issue in the case of a friend petsitting, they may very well look at it quite differently if it's a business.
I believe a site like Rover provides a certain amount of insurance. But yes, I'm definitely looking into that - fortunately my insurance company is very accommodating!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,035,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I believe a site like Rover provides a certain amount of insurance. But yes, I'm definitely looking into that - fortunately my insurance company is very accommodating!
Great!

Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM

122 posts, read 125,632 times
For tax purposes, you can establish an EIN with the IRS so you don’t have to give your SSN to Rover if you go over the income threshold.

If they electronically issue payments to you, you can set up a Paypal account so you also don’t have to give out your personal banking information.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've been thinking about joining Rover.com or a similar site/organization and providing dog-sitting services for one dog at a time (absolutely no more than that). I'm home all day for my job, and I have a ridiculously playful kelpie who exhausts himself and the other dog whenever we have a guest. Right now we have a rather ridiculous Boston terrier (owned by a friend of my roommate) staying with us for a couple weeks. My dogs are very gracious with guests - the kelpie just wants to play with them, and the Houla just takes the kelpie's distraction as an opportunity to monopolize me a little bit.

There are already several people who ask if their dogs can come over for play dates with my dogs (mainly the kelpie), so that's kind of what gave me the idea.

I have a ton of crates and beds, a secure yard (unless the dog is very small or likes to jump more than 5 feet) where I nonetheless never leave my dogs unsupervised, I'm rarely out of the house for more than a few hours, and my dogs are pretty mellow about other dogs. The Catahoula will occasionally put another dog in its place, but he's very measured about it, and I would insist on a preliminary meet and greet to make sure the dogs "get" each other. (He absolutely does not get greyhounds - thinks they are aliens from another planet.) It's also not hard to keep dogs apart from each other in my house - we do it all the time because my roommate's dogs are not always fans of the dogs we're watching for other people.

I'm not the best dog trainer, but I've been working with dogs since I could walk, and I've turned some very difficult animals into happy house pets. And I've been petsitting so many dogs for free over the years, I don't think there's any whammies that I'd get from the average dog. So I was thinking when my roommate moves out (eventually), I'd like to start offering one-on-one boarding services or possibly the equivalent of doggy daycare. I was thinking $30 a night and $20 just for watching a dog during the day. It would keep my dogs entertained, at the very least.

Does that sound reasonable?
Sure do wish you lived near me! I love to have someone who would watch my fur babies in a home instead of a kennel who clearly loves dogs, especially at such a reasonable price. My vet charges me just $15 to day board my dogs when I need it but that is very cheap for the area and they give me a discount because I take hard to adopt dogs, including one that doesn't do well without a human around for more than 4-5 hours at one time. Overnight I pay between $30-45, again cheap for the area.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,996,846 times
I get very frustrated with people who say they want to make money pet-sitting because the vast majority of them simply don't have the experience or skill set to do it right and safely.

However, I think YOU would be great at doing doggie daycare, overnights, or other variations on such whether for Rover or elsewhere. When you write up your information for the website-whichever one you use- I would punch up your training and handling experience. Most people (at least around here) who are doing the rover type sitting sites don't have much if any training or behavioral background, so someone with training experience would stand out.

I suspect that you will quickly come to realize-if you don't already appreciate it- just how well-behaved your own dogs are....

I strongly suggest that you make certain guidelines very clear right up front. For instance, some dog owners play it fast and loose with what time they will drop off and pick up their dog; they just don't get that while you love their dog, you don't want to be up at midnight waiting for the owners to show up. You also don't want your sleep disrupted with phone calls at 3 a.m. with requests for service. Seriously, these things happen- a lot. Make it clear that call hours are between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. (for instance) and that if the dog/s aren't picked up within an hour of the designated pick up time there will be a late fee.

I am not sure what insurance the various sitting companies offer, but if you join the APDT they have insurance that pet-sitters, dog-walkers, trainers, etc can buy into, and from what I recall, it is quite reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs