Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Many Interactions When Your Dog is Off Leash?
None. My dog is always leashed where the law requires. 20 71.43%
None. My dog is completely under firm voice command when off leash. 2 7.14%
A few times in their lifetime when they got away from me. 0 0%
A couple of times a year. 1 3.57%
A couple of times a month. 0 0%
A coup!e of times a week. 1 3.57%
A coup!e of times a day. 2 7.14%
I don't know, I'm busy posting doggie pictures to Facebook with my phone while my dog runs around. 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,730,401 times

Advertisements

...while OFF LEASH, sniff, bump, bark at, lick, urinate on, jump on, or fight with strangers or stranger's on-leash dogs in public areas like parks and playgrounds, where leashes are required?

Exclude interactions at off leash areas. Please be honest. Include friendly interactions where your dog is approached by others.

Curious how my area compares to the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,203,544 times
I never would have my dogs off-leash in an area when leashes are required. Impossible to answer.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
My dogs are on leash in areas where it is required.

When we are in areas where leashes are not required, my dogs do not jump on, hump, urinate on other dogs or on people. If my dogs could not behave themselves out in the forest, they would not be off leash.

When another hiker comes by, my dogs are called to my side and put on a sit stay until the other person passes.

I do not take my dogs to the off leash dog park. The park where I walk my dogs, everyone else has their dogs under good control or I wouldn't take my dogs there. I don't walk my dogs in areas where loose dogs fight, assault, act aggressive, or even annoy my dogs.

Additional note: no matter how well trained my dogs are and how reliable with their recall, I would never have them off leash in an area close to traffic, or close to anything that might hurt them. The best trained dog can have a brain fart and forget to come when called. I won't take that risk.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:47 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,471,266 times
I know there are some joke responses to the poll, but it does happen, and people letting their dog be off leash infuriates me. People say their dog is under their complete control, but there can always be that one time out of a *thousand* even, and that could be at just the wrong moment.
I just thought about this stuff the other day. One of my dogs bolted out the door, for the *first* time in the *7 years* we've owned her. My husband wasn't paying attention as he went in because, well, in 7 years she had never done it. He didn't know our neighbors' puppy was running around behind him, and apparently she finds puppies as irresistable as a lot of people do. She stopped and came back when called, just before she got to the street, but things could have turned out differently. She could have gotten hit by a car (and so could the puppy but my neighbors are hopeless)
Your dog might be 99.99% obedient, but that's not good enough imo.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:27 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,463,538 times
The "my dog would never do that / my dog in always under voice control" crowd obviously do not understand the concept of a "Black Swan" type of event.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,999,344 times
The most annoying off-leash situation is when people come to the dog park and let their dogs walk off-leash through the parking lot. They wander, they prevent others from getting out of their cars, they can't be seen by people backing out their cars, they upset the other dogs who are already in the park behind the fence, they sometimes intimidate dogs who are properly on-leash in the parking lot, they jump on people who are walking. Seems to be mostly the big dog owners who let their dogs wander off-leash. It can be downright scary sometimes.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:57 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,627,734 times
Big difference b/t a dog sniffing versus all those other interactions. My dog has never fought, bit, or urinated on another dog while off leash. She is very sociable & friendly. She is small (12 lbs) and not a nippy/barking dog. I've had one of those before.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,908,846 times
if an area requires a leash my dogs are on leash.
if an area doesn't rewuie a leash and is fully fenced (ie a dog park) my dogs are allowed to play respectfully humping, and urinating on other dogs or fighting is an IMMEDIATE issue, that is BAD doggy manners...
barking/yipping ill allow within reason (if I ask for quiet its expected...) and sniffing is always allowed assuming the dog being sniffed is allowing it. that's a major communication tool with dogs.

I'm ALWAYS ready to step in if my dog (or a dog my dog is ineracting with) decides to forget their manners...
we rarely go to offleash public places though...too many lazy people and too many "i brought my kid to the petting zoo" people who don't even own a dog bu their "kid loves dogs"

however we are a multi dog household and our dogs al interact in a fun, enjoyable, playful but RESPECTFUL way.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,730,401 times
Fox, do your city bylaws allow off leash dogs in public areas? Where I live, any off-leash dog outside of your private property or the paltry number of dog parks is supposedly subject to fines and impoundment.

The way you posted makes it sound like you could legally go off leash in public parks or somewhere, but you choose not to because people aren't careful around your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs