Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 AM

457 posts, read 890,016 times

Advertisements

Ok, so because I've asked every single person that I know, and keep getting conflicting answers (including from two vets), I thought I'd post here, and see what I get back.

I am in the process of adopting my current foster dog, and since he's new to the rescue program, we just learned a couple of weeks ago that he is heart worm positive. He has not started any part of his treatment, so the meds are not yet a factor.

We have vacation coming up in a couple of weeks, and I REALLY wanted to take him with us, but I'm not sure if we should. We do A LOT of hiking during our week away, and though he's young and healthy, and is a weak positive, I just don't know if I should even risk it. It's not like I'll be running him really hard or anything like that, but we typically hike about 10 miles each day.

I've had one vet say it's fine for him to go, another say that it may be best for him to stay home with the sitter, and have been getting the same conflicting opinions from friends and rescue acquaintances.

So now I come to you....to see what the masses think I should do!

Take him, or leave him???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
First thank you for fostering and adopting him.

I'd leave him. I don't know if he'd be fine or not but I don't see any reason to take the risk. He also may struggle more than you think, there is no way to tell. 10 miles a day is a lot if a dog isn't conditioned for it. Also if something did happen, it sounds like you would might not be close to a vet. No reason IMO to put any strain on his heart.

There will be plenty of chances to take him on a hiking trip once he's cured.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
First thank you for fostering and adopting him.

I'd leave him. I don't know if he'd be fine or not but I don't see any reason to take the risk. He also may struggle more than you think, there is no way to tell. 10 miles a day is a lot if a dog isn't conditioned for it. Also if something did happen, it sounds like you would might not be close to a vet. No reason IMO to put any strain on his heart.

There will be plenty of chances to take him on a hiking trip once he's cured.
That's what I keep circling back to as well. My selfish side really wants him to go, but my Mommy side says he should probably chill at home with the sitter.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Where is the dog currently? Is he in a foster home? I think I would leave him THERE and bring him to his new home when you get back.

All those new situations all at once will be stressful - minimize the changes to his life as much as possible, not just for his health, but for his proper acclimation to your life when you get back. It's really not fair to adopt him, have him with you for a couple of days, then leave him with a sitter. It's like you are adopting him and abandoning him all at once. I know that's not your intention, but it will seem that way to him.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Where is the dog currently? Is he in a foster home? I think I would leave him THERE and bring him to his new home when you get back.

All those new situations all at once will be stressful - minimize the changes to his life as much as possible, not just for his health, but for his proper acclimation to your life when you get back. It's really not fair to adopt him, have him with you for a couple of days, then leave him with a sitter. It's like you are adopting him and abandoning him all at once. I know that's not your intention, but it will seem that way to him.
He is with me, at my home (he is my foster dog, meaning that I pulled him from the shelter via the rescue, I have been fostering him, and have decided that I want to keep him). I've had him for just over a month now, so he's starting to settle into our home life rather well at this point.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
He is with me, at my home (he is my foster dog, meaning that I pulled him from the shelter via the rescue, I have been fostering him, and have decided that I want to keep him). I've had him for just over a month now, so he's starting to settle into our home life rather well at this point.

Ahh...that changes things then!

Based on what I read here, I'd keep him home: https://www.heartwormsociety.org/hea...om-being-bored

Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Ahh...that changes things then!

Based on what I read here, I'd keep him home: https://www.heartwormsociety.org/hea...om-being-bored
Yeah, I've been all over that site checking it out as well. I know that once he starts treatment, he's going to have to be on lock down (lord help me, lol). I hate that there's not a lot of helpful information for dogs that are HW+ and have not yet started treatment.

But yes, as selfish as I want to be to take him along, I think it's best that he stay home. He can always go next year, and the year after, and the year after....

Old 10-03-2016, 10:10 AM

Because I know you all love pics....and because I love showing off my crew!!

This one is the new kid, Stitch (the dude this thread is about):
New dog has heart worms :(-stitchie.jpg

This is Denver:
New dog has heart worms :(-denver.jpg

This is Seymour:
New dog has heart worms :(-seymour.jpg

This is Missy:
New dog has heart worms :(-missy.jpg

And this guy is Major - available for adoption!!!
New dog has heart worms :(-major.jpg

Old 10-03-2016, 12:18 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
That is quite the crew of happy pups!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
That is quite the crew of happy pups!
Lol yes it is! I try to keep them happy. Some days are a great success...other days I can hear one or all of them silently cursing me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs