Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

The first week of doggie school went just fine. It's a tiny breed play and learn where they get some free time off leash to play with the other dogs. Then a little lesson with treats and one more free play.
After school both Teddy and 7 year old Toby slept all day. They were worn out.

Teddy is 11 month old maltipoo who loves every living thing. He has done well in the car but on the second trip to school he barfed. He wasn't too interested in the treats we brought- both commercial and hot dogs. Then he barfed on the way home. Then the next day he had loose stools.

Saturday was the 3rd lesson. He did well in the car, played well with the others but wasn't interested in cheddar cheese, deli ham, commercial treats, our own hot dogs or the teacher's hot dogs. I think for the 50 minute session he had maybe 5 little bites and of course if a dog isn't interested in the treats he's not going to do the exercises. He didn't barf or get sick but today - Sunday- he has loose stools. We have 3 more sessions.

What kind of treat do you think I should try next? maybe some cooked chicken pieces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Something's not right. It's not just fatigue. He needs to see the vet.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Treats are not the issue. He has some sort of mild stomach virus. It doesn't sound like he is terribly sick, but I suggest that you keep him home for a couple of days and see of he'd like to eat some nice live culture yogurt.

If he develops a fever or gets diarrhea with a nasty decomposing smell, get him to the vet right away.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:16 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
By the way, a lot of pups will get sick if you feed a whole bunch of hot dogs, cheese, and other fatty treats. Treats should be very small. I recommend a piece no bigger than the end of the dog's nose. Also treats should not be loaded with fat. For a dog with a sensitive stomach, I recommend steamed skinless chicken breast meat or baked beef heart in very small pieces.

I would not allow anyone else to feed a bunch of fatty treats to my dog, either.

A couple of small pieces of cheese or a slice of hot dog are OK, but not multiple handfuls of large pieces in one session. A multipoo has a very small stomach and does not need 100's of calories in treats.

Cheerios make good treats for toy breeds. My friends with Papillons break the cheerios in half. A treat should be a treat and not a meal. Lots of overly rich food does not equal love.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM

We never give him treats at home so I can understand his tummy issues. We have pinched off tiny tiny pieces which he might take but then he spits them out. This makes the other dogs come to our corner for all the treats on the floor.
The steamed chicken breast and/or cheerios is what I will try and we have some probiotics. Don't you think that would be appropriate?

If anybody was going to get sick I thought it would be Toby the Maltese. He is the oldest (7) and the smallest. He wants to play so much and he ventures out to try but the exuberant puppies are too much for him and he either runs to me for Kings X or he snips and snaps at the other dogs. I asked the teacher if it was dangerous and she said NO he was well within his rights to snap when he is being overpowered by 4 or 5 other wild and crazy puppies.

Finally we just decided somebody should hold him in their lap when the puppies get too wild. We call him the grumpy old man. But he is learning the lessons because he is taking the treats.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:26 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
NK, I agree 100% with Oregon regarding the treats. I cringed reading what was being used for treats in class, although many trainers use the same thing. You are on the right track switching to boiled or steamed chicken breast half a cheerio if that works, chopped carrot pieces for crunch, chopped egg white, even a little bit of low sodium cheese in moderation. I usually home cooked for my dogs so I would use high quality kibble as treats.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:14 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Natural balance makes a food roll( log) comes in different flavors and sizes, It is dog food and some people feed it as a meal. I get it put it in the refrigerator so it gets cold then cut off some slices and chop them into bite size pieces and keep in a baggie in the refrigerator so I have handy training snacks available.

All the dogs I have used them with have liked the beef log the best and are willing to work for a small piece. When I am training a dog so it is getting quite a few treats I do cut back on the food in meals so they are not getting too many calories.

In Puppy class I took with Chaos we switched puppies a few times and the other puppies seemed to enjoy these so much that owners were asking me what I was using and they had been using hot dogs or cheese.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
could definatly be to many new rich treats...
but if it continues as a trend id still have the vet run a fecal just to be n the safe side, theres a lot of things that can easily transmit between dogs when you put a lot of youngsters together, anything from simple worms to some of the nastier ones like giardia...

try some easier treats (boil some diced chicken that ones always a good easy one that's simple on the tummy) and see if it improves.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:16 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The first week of doggie school went just fine. It's a tiny breed play and learn where they get some free time off leash to play with the other dogs. Then a little lesson with treats and one more free play.
After school both Teddy and 7 year old Toby slept all day. They were worn out.

Teddy is 11 month old maltipoo who loves every living thing. He has done well in the car but on the second trip to school he barfed. He wasn't too interested in the treats we brought- both commercial and hot dogs. Then he barfed on the way home. Then the next day he had loose stools.

Saturday was the 3rd lesson. He did well in the car, played well with the others but wasn't interested in cheddar cheese, deli ham, commercial treats, our own hot dogs or the teacher's hot dogs. I think for the 50 minute session he had maybe 5 little bites and of course if a dog isn't interested in the treats he's not going to do the exercises. He didn't barf or get sick but today - Sunday- he has loose stools. We have 3 more sessions.

What kind of treat do you think I should try next? maybe some cooked chicken pieces?
It's not true that you need food to have dogs learn the exercises. You even say he's not interested.

I rarely if EVER use food. Only the dogs that need rehabilitation from some type of neurotic problem even "need" them. Biters who lack trust and skills typically.

He's getting SICK from all that stuff. It's also an invitation to a permanent case of IBS or IBD. He's young, too!

You say he barfed on the WAY to school? Did he have junk food before going in the car?

I also think 50 minutes is excessive. Malti-poos don't know their own limits and are very high energy and all that work, energy and food are not a good combination. Some might even call them high strung.

I don't think ANY vet would recommend all those hot dogs! It's pancreatitis waiting to happen. Fat. Sodium. Dairy is not something dogs have the enzymes for, either.

I seem to remember your other dogs having GI disorders? I suggest go back to BASICS with plain old food and not alot of other junk.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's not true that you need food to have dogs learn the exercises. You even say he's not interested.

I rarely if EVER use food. Only the dogs that need rehabilitation from some type of neurotic problem even "need" them. Biters who lack trust and skills typically.

He's getting SICK from all that stuff. It's also an invitation to a permanent case of IBS or IBD. He's young, too!

You say he barfed on the WAY to school? Did he have junk food before going in the car?

I also think 50 minutes is excessive. Malti-poos don't know their own limits and are very high energy and all that work, energy and food are not a good combination. Some might even call them high strung.

I don't think ANY vet would recommend all those hot dogs! It's pancreatitis waiting to happen. Fat. Sodium. Dairy is not something dogs have the enzymes for, either.

I seem to remember your other dogs having GI disorders? I suggest go back to BASICS with plain old food and not alot of other junk.
Thank you for your concern and comments. We never give any treats or people food to our pets. I don't recall ever saying anything about GI issues with any dog but Oscar the 14.5 year old Ragdoll cat has IBD and we have to be very careful he eats only his special food and NEVER any dog food.
I bet Teddy is not the only dog with tummy issues after dog school. Things are very quiet in our house so to all of a sudden be let loose with a bunch of maniac puppies must be extremely exciting. But I would think it would be the old man Toby who would have issues but he hasn't.

Still not sure why Teddy barfed on the way to school. We take him as much as we can (once a week or so) in the car and he likes it and has never been sick.

I've had pancreatitis and there is nothing more painful. I certainly would not want anything or body to go through that. The thing is both dogs prefer their wet food over kibble so I'm thinking fresh cooked chicken is the only way to go. School is cancelled for this week but the next school I will try the chicken.

I'm interested in what you use when training your dogs if not food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs