Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,617,792 times

Advertisements

I need to vent a friend of mine who is a real dog lover and owns two Goldens is currently stuck with a Wolf Mix and a Maltese mix. She is a renter so really could get have problems if she can not find them homes.

She became friends with a man that went to the same dog park she did at the same time. So for a couple years they had been meeting there with a few other people and letting their dogs play. Recently he had asked her if she could pet sit the wolf and the little dog while he went to Arizona to look for a place to live when in fact what he really was planning to do was commit suicide. So he brought her the dogs and went home and killed himself now she is stuck with the dogs.

Local shelter and local humane society would put the wolf down as they will not adopt out wolf or coyote mixes. She has checked with the wolf sanctuaries here in Calif and all are full though one did say if she wrote a real sob story and gave them 25 thousand dollars they would take him How nice of them being this is not her dog and she does not have that kind of money.

I knew the man and his dogs too and the wolf is beautiful and very affectionate if anything a bit too affectionate and lacks some manners as he will jump up on people and put his paws on their shoulders while he licks their face! He gets along great with dogs and is not the least bit dominate as a matter of fact the Maltese mix bosses him around! If he was a 100% wolf and living with wolves I would guess he would be the omega. He is about 4 yrs old, walks nice on a leash but does pace when he is inside.In the right home he would be a wonderful pet . When he howls it send shivers down your spine as it is so wolf.

Anyway I am just so pissed off at the man who owned them and the fact he did this to such a kind hearted person. If he wanted to kill himself he should have found them a home not dumped it on a friend. He killed himself because he was out of money and did not want to have to work!

If anyone has any ideas about what could be done to help find the wolf a home, I would like to hear. The Maltese Mix will not be a problem as he is small cute and adorable. The wolf Mix is big beautiful and very wolf looking. I knew the first time I met him he was part wolf as there is no missing that when you look at him.

I get so mad thinking this jerk did this and knowing he had only had him for 4 yrs. If he was running out of money and not wanting to work why did he get a wolf dog??? Errrrrr some people suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,329,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I need to vent a friend of mine who is a real dog lover and owns two Goldens is currently stuck with a Wolf Mix and a Maltese mix. She is a renter so really could get have problems if she can not find them homes.

She became friends with a man that went to the same dog park she did at the same time. So for a couple years they had been meeting there with a few other people and letting their dogs play. Recently he had asked her if she could pet sit the wolf and the little dog while he went to Arizona to look for a place to live when in fact what he really was planning to do was commit suicide. So he brought her the dogs and went home and killed himself now she is stuck with the dogs.

Local shelter and local humane society would put the wolf down as they will not adopt out wolf or coyote mixes. She has checked with the wolf sanctuaries here in Calif and all are full though one did say if she wrote a real sob story and gave them 25 thousand dollars they would take him How nice of them being this is not her dog and she does not have that kind of money.

I knew the man and his dogs too and the wolf is beautiful and very affectionate if anything a bit too affectionate and lacks some manners as he will jump up on people and put his paws on their shoulders while he licks their face! He gets along great with dogs and is not the least bit dominate as a matter of fact the Maltese mix bosses him around! If he was a 100% wolf and living with wolves I would guess he would be the omega. He is about 4 yrs old, walks nice on a leash but does pace when he is inside.In the right home he would be a wonderful pet . When he howls it send shivers down your spine as it is so wolf.

Anyway I am just so pissed off at the man who owned them and the fact he did this to such a kind hearted person. If he wanted to kill himself he should have found them a home not dumped it on a friend. He killed himself because he was out of money and did not want to have to work!

If anyone has any ideas about what could be done to help find the wolf a home, I would like to hear. The Maltese Mix will not be a problem as he is small cute and adorable. The wolf Mix is big beautiful and very wolf looking. I knew the first time I met him he was part wolf as there is no missing that when you look at him.

I get so mad thinking this jerk did this and knowing he had only had him for 4 yrs. If he was running out of money and not wanting to work why did he get a wolf dog??? Errrrrr some people suck!
To be fair, the guy who killed himself probably had a lot more going on than simply not wanting to have to work anymore. I think it's rare for a completely sane, non-depressed, emotionally balanced person to commit suicide.
You can contact Mission:Wolf in Colorado. It is a wolf rescue and rehabilitation center in the mountains of Colorado; I visited there this past June. It's staffed by volunteers and run by a guy who has been rescuing and rehabilitating wolves and wolf-dog hybrids for most of his adult life. They rescue wolves from all over the U.S. You can look them up online and on YouTube.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:39 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,284,155 times
Oi, that man may have battling depression or mental illness that makes it difficult for him to cope daily life. To rehome his dogs, a task that appears to be so simple, may be impossible for him to do.

Anyways, wolf dogs are notoriously difficult to rehome. Try posting an ad on rescueme.org and talk to your local rescues to see if they know someone who can help. You may also be able to get help with transport as chances are the small number of rescues/sanctuaries that can take him are very far away.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,175,831 times
people that think wolf hybrids are cool are IDIOTS!

Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,035,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Oi, that man may have battling depression or mental illness that makes it difficult for him to cope daily life. To rehome his dogs, a task that appears to be so simple, may be impossible for him to do.
This. The absolute lack of compassion for the suffering of another human being is astounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Anyways, wolf dogs are notoriously difficult to rehome. Try posting an ad on rescueme.org and talk to your local rescues to see if they know someone who can help. You may also be able to get help with transport as chances are the small number of rescues/sanctuaries that can take him are very far away.
Or maybe look into a private adoption? Certainly there would be some people around who want a hybrid and are able to take proper care of it?

Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,867 times
There is a wolf dog rescue in Texas. You might check with them. http://texaswolfdogproject.org/

I think Tia Torres of villa lobos rescue (Pit Bulls and Parolees) had a wolf rescue in CA but I'm guessing you already checked with them. You might get some traction posting on the villa lobos facebook page. Have you tried posting on social media?

I think unfortunately it's an uphill battle to find a place for one of these hybrids. If it's a low content, it will be a little easier but will still be hard. The people who breed them are idiots. The poor things are not dogs and not wild wolves and there really isn't a good place for them.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:16 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,082,728 times
When I clicked on this post I was hoping to see photos of your fur kids posing for a reenactment of Little Red Riding Hood, well this is different entirely.

My first though was Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho are your best chances of finding a home for him. I'm involved with some herding rescue groups on Facebook, I'm sure there are some for wolf hybrids also. As always there are always some who are "over zealous" about their cause and can be nasty but there are lots of good folks that can hopefully help him find a good home.

As for his former owner, I don't really have words to describe how angry I feel that he felt it was ok to kill himself and not consider the consequences of abandoning his pets.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:04 PM

For people that may be thinking I am being hard on the wolfs late owner well he told his best Buddy quite sometime ago that he did not want to work anymore, and that his retirement plan was suicide. He said the day he ran out of money he was going to kill himself and in the mean time turned down any jobs people offered him. My good friend is a painter and offered him work as at one time the guy did that kind of work and he said "Oh no I am not interested in working" He always claimed that his siblings cheated him out of money when his parents died because he had lived for free with his parents for many years as an adult and they felt he had already received part of his share by doing that so I think his real motive was to "show Them"his siblings and make them feel guilty about his suicide.

He had it all planned out that if he fed the story he did to who he did his dogs might have a chance of living as he knew she is too soft hearted to let them be killed. I am sure he suffered from some mental illness but he hid it well, very well and his idiot best buddy knew his plans but did nothing to help him nor told anyone until after the fact. He knew darn well he was going to stick her with his problem rather then deal with it himself so it is hard for me to feel sorry for him. He was not someone I liked very much as he was always passing judgement on others and telling them what he thought about their issues and seemed to feel he was so much better then others.

I knew another person that looked at suicide as his retirement plan too and when he ran out of money killed himself by shooting himself in his back yard where his poor wife who did not have a clue found him the next morning when she let the dog out.

He should have never gotten a wolf dog!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 04:11 PM

To those that have offered suggestions I will tell the person that has them to check out of state wold rescues too. We do have an event in town next week for pet adoptions and one of the things they are billing on it is "come meet some majestic wold hybrids" So I am going to tell her to take him to that event and maybe the people that have them can help her or will see how nice he is and offer to take him.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
To those that have offered suggestions I will tell the person that has them to check out of state wold rescues too. We do have an event in town next week for pet adoptions and one of the things they are billing on it is "come meet some majestic wold hybrids" So I am going to tell her to take him to that event and maybe the people that have them can help her or will see how nice he is and offer to take him.
Any way to find out what the organization is? If so, it might be better to contact them in advance. I don't know how he does in crowds but IMO an adoption event is a lot of chaos and he may not react well. It might be better for her to go and explain the situation and have them meet him in a quiet environment.

Also since he's probably not allowed in her rental, I'd want to minimize her being seen with him in public. Probably a long shot that someone would see her and report back but you never know. If they're not legal in her municipality or if you need special enclosures, that would also argue against her bringing him to a public event.

Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs