Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,256,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Just him, according to the owners.

And to answer the other's questions...

He usually has a bushy beard (not right now), very long gray hair, and he's a big man (he plays Santa every holiday), and he has to wear sunglasses almost all the time but not inside the house.

I know nothing about the owners except that they are in their 80's, so chances are that neither one is a large person. If something physical about my husband is what scares the dog, it could be his size.

And like I mentioned, dogs are usually strangely attracted to him.

Definitely a switch from the norm, that's for sure.
The bushy beard, dark glasses and his large size can all be intimidating.

Treats used to create a positive association can often change a dog's emotion but don't hand deliver them to this dog...that's too scary for him. Instead have your hubby toss them gently on the ground (away from him and toward the dog but off to the dog's side a bit) making sure to use extremely high value treats that visibly contrast against the ground. Eventually the dog will hopefully begin to make a positive association (body language signals...ears, eyes, lips, shoulders, tail...are loose and relaxed instead of tight and tense) and then your hubby can start gradually tossing the treats a little closer. Each toss closer should only come when the dog is looking relaxed at the previous distance. NEVER try to hand deliver the treats until the dog voluntarily comes up to your hubby. IOW, all movement should come from the dog...your hubby should NEVER move towards the dog.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,313,679 times
Well, I sure am happy with all the interesting feedback, hints, and exeriences from everyone on here. Lots of helpful stuff, and I sure do appreciate it.

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs