Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 02:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times

Advertisements

Along the west coast we are seeing a lot of dead sea birds and sea lions and the tide pools have little life in them in my area, They are saying it is the warmer waters being brought in by the currents killing off Krill and Phytoplankton and that causing damage to the food chain. They also say we will see a lot more deaths of ocean life come summer

But you also have to wonder what effect all the pollution and the radiation from Japan are having on the pacific ocean. I have spent the past 34 yrs walking the local beaches and yup things have changed as I say if you see a crab in a tide pool it is a big thing now.

Anyway I was walking Chaos and Dazzle on the beach and maybe these photos will show you that things have gotten strange on our beaches

( sorry but when I see all the dead sea lions and birds on our walks I need a little humor to keep from crying at the sad events happening on the beach)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 PM

If anyone is curious that is the Goleta pier and the beautiful UCSB campus behind Chaos.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:19 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
IF what you saying is true its had to believe when the pics don't do the problem justice I don't know ...

Old 05-08-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF what you saying is true its had to believe when the pics don't do the problem justice I don't know ...
Katie sadly it is very true and they claim by summer a lot more sea life along the west coast will die off as it will work its way down the food chain. But it has been a horrible spring as so many of the dead sea lions have pups. Hopefully it is just a temporary thing and the ocean will recover. We have yet to take a beach walk this spring where we did not see many dead sea birds and at least 1 dead sea lion and sometimes as many as 4. and I know because my dogs find them all and I am forever having to tell them to leave it

On the good side the same thing that is causing this may cause a super El Nino which could break our drought here in California and dump lots of rain on us OCT- DEC which we really need as we may be about out of water by then. And often I hear too bad California gets what it deserves well folks it will effect you as much of the food you eat comes from California and no water means no crops which means shortages and higher prices.....

Old 05-08-2015, 06:50 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
We just spent the past week on the Oregon and Washington coasts and didn't see any dead sea lions or birds, thankfully, but the water is colder. It's terrible what is happening in California, I hope the oceans cool and there is some recovery.

I do so love the photos!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Along the west coast we are seeing a lot of dead sea birds and sea lions and the tide pools have little life in them in my area, They are saying it is the warmer waters being brought in by the currents killing off Krill and Phytoplankton and that causing damage to the food chain. They also say we will see a lot more deaths of ocean life come summer

But you also have to wonder what effect all the pollution and the radiation from Japan are having on the pacific ocean. I have spent the past 34 yrs walking the local beaches and yup things have changed as I say if you see a crab in a tide pool it is a big thing now.

Anyway I was walking Chaos and Dazzle on the beach and maybe these photos will show you that things have gotten strange on our beaches

( sorry but when I see all the dead sea lions and birds on our walks I need a little humor to keep from crying at the sad events happening on the beach)
Yes, I agree- it is a horrible thing that our ecosystems great and small have been allowed to get so far out of balance.

On a happier note though it is good to see that the rare canine landsharks are thriving

Old 05-09-2015, 11:55 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
The sea lion issue is too much federal protection. They've been removed from their proper place in the food chain and they have reproduced until the environment can no longer support their numbers. They haven't so much died in southern California as they have moved north where they are destroying our endangered fish populations. There are thousands of them here, each one eating 4-5 endangered fish every day.

Tide pools are constantly stripped of life, a little at a time by tourists, each one catching a few tiny crabs, stepping on few anemones, or taking home a couple of sand dollars. One tourist isn't doing much damage but multiply that by hundreds of thousands.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The sea lion issue is too much federal protection. They've been removed from their proper place in the food chain and they have reproduced until the environment can no longer support their numbers. They haven't so much died in southern California as they have moved north where they are destroying our endangered fish populations. There are thousands of them here, each one eating 4-5 endangered fish every day.

Tide pools are constantly stripped of life, a little at a time by tourists, each one catching a few tiny crabs, stepping on few anemones, or taking home a couple of sand dollars. One tourist isn't doing much damage but multiply that by hundreds of thousands.

Sorry but the sea lions are dying as we go on long beach walks everyday and while we use to see a dead one once in awhile now we see any where from 1-4 every time we walk and where we walk they are good at coming out in a pick up and taking the dead ones away so we are not seeing the same ones over and over. The sea lions that are alive on the beach or the rocks off out in the tide are also very thin. Not to mention all the dead sea birds that have starved to death. I have actually talked with a couple biologists that were examining dead bodies. Maybe some are moving north but way too many are dying down here.

As for our tide pools the beaches I walk on do not get hundreds of tourists often there are only a few people on them as they are not the Santa Barbara city beaches that all the tourists go to so no the lack of life one sees in them is not from the tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs