Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,104,614 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've written about Sawyer before and his anxieties. He's a wonderful dog, most well mannered (when at home), sweetest, yet independent dog I've ever had.
However, when we are out in public he barks/howls when he receives attention from strangers. His bark is really low and raspy so sometimes people think he's growling. I know he's not because that's not what he sounds like when he growls at all. I don't know how to fix this. He used to have this issue at home but now has gotten a lot better. Whenever anyone new comes to the house, we tell them to ignore him as they come in and he usually warms up to them right away. He's done great anytime we've had company. I know he likes people because he loves it when people come over or when he goes to our friends house. I don't know if when we are in public he's over protective of me or what.
He has gotten better, he used to go crazy on walks if he saw another dog, he doesn't do that anymore. The other day he was able to meet another dog and play with them just fine and he was even trying to get the owners attention and letting him pet him.
I take him to dog parks and at the dog parks he has no issues what so ever. He plays with all the dogs, runs, meets the humans and is his usual happy self. If I tire him out before going to an event he's usually better but I'm still concerned. We have a lot of dog friend events around town and I want to be able to take him to these events. I know he likes people, I know he loves dogs. I think it's the leash and maybe my anxiety due to his previous reactions. When off leash, he has never had any problems.
Any advice on how to get him re-socialized I'd really appreciate it.
Sawyer will be 5 in March. He's a retriever mix. And the biggest love bug ever. I just want to be able to take him more places with me and have him be comfortable in that environment.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,790,691 times
Sounds like he's made great progress so congratulations on that.

Some of it might be your anxiety traveling down the leash. Do you have a dog-savvy friend that he knows and likes and you would trust with him? If so, I'd let your friend try and what his reaction would be. If he's fine with the friend then you know it's something you're triggering.

Maybe it's the people coming up to him that's upsetting him? Can you tell people to let him approach first? Since he's made good progress in other areas he may make progress here too or he may not. He may love people in some settings but is not comfortable with them under these circumstances.

Hopefully you can find something that works.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Sounds like he's made great progress so congratulations on that.

Some of it might be your anxiety traveling down the leash. Do you have a dog-savvy friend that he knows and likes and you would trust with him? If so, I'd let your friend try and what his reaction would be. If he's fine with the friend then you know it's something you're triggering.

Maybe it's the people coming up to him that's upsetting him? Can you tell people to let him approach first? Since he's made good progress in other areas he may make progress here too or he may not. He may love people in some settings but is not comfortable with them under these circumstances.

Hopefully you can find something that works.
Thanks. I think I'm going to try having my husband be in charge of him when we go out. He's a lot more confident and I think he can transfer that to Sawyer.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 AM

231 posts, read 237,346 times
Wonder how long you have had this dog.

Our old was girl was 6+ when we got her. We have had her a year now and she is starting to love being a family member. She was just used for breeding/poor old girl.Never knew any hugs/kisses before.

We have two other very old dogs,whom she tolerates.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
Wonder how long you have had this dog.

Our old was girl was 6+ when we got her. We have had her a year now and she is starting to love being a family member. She was just used for breeding/poor old girl.Never knew any hugs/kisses before.

We have two other very old dogs,whom she tolerates.
We've had him since he was about 1. He was really great with people and being around people and dogs at all events then one day, when he was about 2 or so we were at a dog-centric event and a little girl, maybe about 10 years old, came running towards him and grabbed his face. It scared the crap out of him and me. He barked at her because he was freaked out, I assume. I pulled him away and ever since then it has been a challenge. He's come a long way. That day it happened so fast, I'm glad I was able to react and pull him back because in fear, I don't know what could have happened--he's loves kids. He had never ever shown any fear of them or anyone until that day. Before that he'd run up to people and had no fears. after that day, he was terrified of being approached. Now, he's comfortable going to dog parks, going for walks and having company over. Our last issue is getting him to feel comfortable in public, on a leash at dog friendly events.

As I said in my OP, he's great with people and dogs once he gets to know them. He's never met a dog he didn't like. And he's a love bug to all humans he knows.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM

483 posts, read 657,863 times
I don't know if this is even a possibility, but have you concidered getting a 2nd dog?(I haven't read your old posts...you might already have one lol)

Our beagle mix is like that, bays/howls when she sees people, other dogs...things she even thinks are capable of petting her(cats, statues etc) Whole body wags, she gets so excited. But she's very antsy at outdoor dog-friendly events, she won't just sit/lay nicely, even if we are just sitting down and eating or something. Then we got our 2nd one, a hound mix, and he's super submissive and very calm. He does great at events, and mostly just ignores people unless they come up with the goal of petting him. She calmed way down, and now will sit beside him and just chill. She still gets super excited when someone comes our way, which is fine with us, but she doesn't seek it out nearly as much with him around. The only thing that still freaks her bad is fireworks/cannons/guns etc. We went to a beer fest once and the stupid fountain shot water into the air, sounded like a cannon. We had to leave, she still gets really freaked out with those noises.

I know its a like a huge change, but it worked for us.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,619,220 times
Dazzle is a sight hound and when he sees people or dogs he often lets out very funny howling sounds because he is so excited that he just can not contain himself. People that know dogs always laugh and come pet him , people that are not dog people side step around him and he looks at them like " what's wrong with you did your mother not teach you to say hello?" It is a rather priceless look he gives them. He really really loves little dogs so he can get even more vocal and when people scoop up their little dog he gives them that look too when they let the little dog come over he is in heaven and his beautiful tail is wagging his body. I have found it is very hard to prevent him from doing this and when I do he seems somehow crushed. The good thing is we often walk at the same time in the same places We switch back and forth between several places so we see a lot of the same people so they have come to know and love my goofy hound. I forgot to say if we see another sight hound the noises that come out of him get even crazier and recently he realized that Basset hounds can do them too so when we see Gracie the basset the two of them start singing Gracie does the same thing when she sees people or dogs so I think in their case it is a hound thing.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Dashdog and kaelti12 the thing is, I don't think he's excited at these events. He's pretty quiet until someone pays attention to him, comes to pet him or anything like that, then he barks/howls and since he has a raspy yet loud bark it freaks people out. When people are ignoring him, he's fine. But I don't know how to fix that. He loves being petted but in public it seems like the scariest thing in the world to him.

And kaelti12, he's an only dog. We've considered getting a second dog but we haven't found the right one yet. Or better he/she hasn't found us yet.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi all, I've written about Sawyer before and his anxieties. He's a wonderful dog, most well mannered (when at home), sweetest, yet independent dog I've ever had.
However, when we are out in public he barks/howls when he receives attention from strangers. His bark is really low and raspy so sometimes people think he's growling. I know he's not because that's not what he sounds like when he growls at all. I don't know how to fix this. He used to have this issue at home but now has gotten a lot better. Whenever anyone new comes to the house, we tell them to ignore him as they come in and he usually warms up to them right away. He's done great anytime we've had company. I know he likes people because he loves it when people come over or when he goes to our friends house. I don't know if when we are in public he's over protective of me or what.
He has gotten better, he used to go crazy on walks if he saw another dog, he doesn't do that anymore. The other day he was able to meet another dog and play with them just fine and he was even trying to get the owners attention and letting him pet him.
I take him to dog parks and at the dog parks he has no issues what so ever. He plays with all the dogs, runs, meets the humans and is his usual happy self. If I tire him out before going to an event he's usually better but I'm still concerned. We have a lot of dog friend events around town and I want to be able to take him to these events. I know he likes people, I know he loves dogs. I think it's the leash and maybe my anxiety due to his previous reactions. When off leash, he has never had any problems.
Any advice on how to get him re-socialized I'd really appreciate it.
Sawyer will be 5 in March. He's a retriever mix. And the biggest love bug ever. I just want to be able to take him more places with me and have him be comfortable in that environment.

Thanks in advance!

Dogs can behave more protectively or defensively when leashed.

Have you tried dropping the leash a bit between where your hand grips it and where it connects to your dog's collar - you can do this if you have some room between the dog and the strangers whose attention causes him to bark. Keep your grip firm, so you have control over him, but if possible, give him a bit of slack so he won't equate being out in the open with strangers with a very tight leash and your tension traveling down it.

Have you tried a group obedience class with a good teacher (who has a background in training dogs, not just someone doing it for the first time or after one course at Pet Smart or whatever)? That would be a place to work with him surrounded by dog-savvy and dog-friendly people.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:44 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,482,296 times
Training and exercise! When people approach, use the sit command (or even "down") while he faces in the opposite direction. Make him focus on YOU without being distracted. Wait until he is totally relaxed, praise him and reward with a treat. Ask people not to pet him when in this position. The most difficult is having him focused on you, but that's key to further progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs