Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:45 AM

180 posts, read 957,349 times

Advertisements

I gotta say I agree Sam I Am. I sure hadn't chosen Kibbles and Bits for my choice of what I thought was best for him. My brother just picked the one WalMart had that also had the lowest protien content. ... whooda thunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,277 times
Post Dog Allergies: "Eats" & Otherwise.

I just submitted a longer post on a thread about how to know how much is enough in feeding one's pet which coincides with this one which you might want to read (rather than reposting much of it here).

When I first had my pup, vet started him on S.D. which they sold in their store. Many vets recommend this which amazes me for what it's *not*. It's not nutritionally sound for dogs - regardless of the recipe (e.g., special mixes). My dog was sick when he found me, but the better he got, the less S.D. he wanted to eat to the point of *not* eating. As I was reading about Dog Nutrition - it was no wonder, and the rest of it was dumped. (My pup was vomiting and had constant runs eating this - it took me a little longer to realize bc he was sick when he found me, but once his health improved otherwise, he more & more refused eating the S.D. which, in part, steered my decision besides a *lot* of reading.)

You might find it handy to visit your local pet stores. Stores in this area offered enough samples for us to probably eat for a month or so - just to determine what my pup liked best, and to give me a chance to read about the various products online - there are many of them! Check the first five ingredients for the bulk of a food's content. Some he wouldn't even touch, and some he ate immediately! Ask for at least couple of days' supply if not a week so you can switch him with less impact. And add a bit of the previous sample's food to the new one in the switch. Once we narrowed it down with just a couple of day's trial, that's when I went back for add'l samples. The stores were happy to provide them bc they received them from the manufacturers to promote the product at no cost (they told me) to themselves. There are many companies which also provide samples online for free with a coupon for your first purchase. Once we used the coupon (Nature's Variety), they sent us another one from the company. It also helped us determined which stores were the most knowledgeable about dogs in general and specifically their nutrition.

We finally settled on & did very well with a mix of Nature's Variety - Raw Variety and... Innova Evo - No Grain. Both of these were higher protein, lower carbs, no wheat/corn/grains. He gobbled them up and ate less and ended up noticeably healthier! But then we ran out traveling... Traveling for two hours for a bag of dog food was not an experience I wanted to repeat. I'd been toying with the BARF/Raw Food Diet (mix between the two), and began it on that trip. Have never turned back. Best-Ever Diet IMO, and here's why:

1. YOU decide exactly what goes into your pet's food. I did *not* switch bc of any pet food recalls, but when those came and other owners worried about their pet's health, I had not a concern.
2. It's much healthier - fresh and specific to your pet's nutritional needs and easily avoid whatever allergies your pet may have.
3. When my pup was sick, we spent more on the vet. With the RAW Diet, we save so much compared to what I hear others spending on teeth scaling and other pet-health problems. Also, cheaper/filler-brands (with the exception at least of the K&Bits poster) inevitably cost more bc most dogs will eat/need more of this to get less nutrition than what you'll get in a diet more specific to your pet's needs.
4. Ian Billingshurt's book: look for it at BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online - Highly recommended. Breaks down the diet into easy-to-do calculations, that once you have them suited to *your* pet, it's very easy to follow. A little much at first, but I've pretty much gotten mine down to a "science", and find it *very* easy. Not so difficult as discussed. I make his food a couple of times a week - extremely easy & quick. And it's also good "to go"!
5. If BARF-ers and other RAW Food Diet-Feeders opinions weren't enough, try it with your pet, and let them show you what they think! My pup's healthy, happy, energetic, white-toothed, soft-coated, and more presence elicits many responses from others when we are out & about. Things I didn't know were so noticeable until we heard them from others since he was my first pup compared to the ones my family had growing up who were fed whatever we had coupons to feed or scraps from the table. It was only then when I began noticing how so many other dogs have so many problems which would seem so easy to resolve with a better diet (similar to their human families).

Common allergies: wheat, corn, some grains, preservatives... to name a few.

Pet-washing products
: shampoo or laundry soap you might be using. Human shampoos are not made to meet pet needs & can dry a pet's skin, besides bathing a pet *too often* which I was doing when I first got him. We now use a pet-specific, natural combo shampoo & conditioner & bathe only when he gets a bit stinky or extra muddy! And we did not bathe him winters when he would then go out in -20 temps for potty. Waited 'til our first "warm" weather (40 degrees). In the interim, someone recommended using scent-free, aloe-type wipes if a "sponge bath" was really needed. We found these handy, and he had no problems with them. Also, I was told by not to use only water bc it could also promote dry skin rather than a moisturizing shampoo.

Laundry Soap: I gave up my Mt. Fresh & Rain-scented soaps for scent-free, dye-free. It seemed to help a bit. My pup was rubbing his nose raw on his blanket, and when I switched, he stopped.

Something from this should help. And again, I'd recommend checking my other post titled "Dog Nutrition" under the thread how to know if you are feeding a dog "enough" for more re: Pet Nutrition & the Raw Diet.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,791 times
You are so right, whooda thunk. I got Ol Roy a few years back for the "boyz" after pedigree and Oliver guarded that dish and slept by it for 2 days cuz he thought it tasted so good. I told him to chill out there's another 20 lbs in the garage. After awhile he got quite tired of it and I didn't like what I read on the label.
Now I use the blue buffalo fish & sweetpotato and they seem to like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplewillow View Post
I gotta say I agree Sam I Am. I sure hadn't chosen Kibbles and Bits for my choice of what I thought was best for him. My brother just picked the one WalMart had that also had the lowest protien content. ... whooda thunk?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 AM

38 posts, read 239,423 times
Thumbs up best dog food for allergies

[quote=canukgal;2555520]An allergy test may save you a lot of money, time and save your dog from the frustrating itchiness. We suspected that our dog - Emma, at the age of 5, had allergies and EVERYONE told us that she was probably allergic to beef and wheat and convinced us to switch to the RAW dog food diet - chicken and veg.

I recommend testing too. So often the packaging on dogfood appeals to the owners and doesn't suit the dog. Like yours, one of our dogs can't have hardly any grains. We are pretty much raw diet also, including raw chicken backs, butt to neck, and frozen for a couple weeks before feeding them. When we travel, we always carry a couple lg. pkgs. of freeze-dried Meat Eater diet wafers from Animal Food Services, !! AFS-Real Food for Real Pets !! or www. animalfoodservices.com. When we can't find quality raw diet for ours, these wafers are our back-up.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 30,290 times
Default Diet & Allergies

Yes, diet helps allergies. My dog has food allergies. She is allergic to "poultry/meats" The only food that has controlled her allergies is the "Catfish & Potato" diet from Colorado Pet Chef! AWESOME staff, service and products!!! My dog has been like brand new since I started feeding her this food. You should always consult/visit your vet first, if you think there are "ANY" health issues with your pet.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 26,441 times
Guys, somebody, please help. My puppy is 3 months old, she has been scratching herself and biting her legs and tail. I visited the THIRD vet yesterday who said that nothing is wrong with her. She is driving herself crazy scratching. They would not do the skin test because her coat is fine, no rush or irritation, it's shiny and looks healthy. She has been doing that for about 3 weeks now, i cannot help her. what to do?????

Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM

38 posts, read 239,423 times
Red face possible dogfood allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliav View Post
Guys, somebody, please help. My puppy is 3 months old, she has been scratching herself and biting her legs and tail. I visited the THIRD vet yesterday who said that nothing is wrong with her. She is driving herself crazy scratching. They would not do the skin test because her coat is fine, no rush or irritation, it's shiny and looks healthy. She has been doing that for about 3 weeks now, i cannot help her. what to do?????
Hello, Julia, it could well be a dogfood reaction. Wherever you are, look at places like PetSmart for their frozen rawfood diet or google BARF and start there. Both of our dogs are on a totally rawfood diet now and both lost their fat, are lean and energetic, no more diarrhea, etc. We got help at K9 Kitchen in Albuquerque, NM, and I believe they have a website, where you might start.

Good luck! We all feel for our pets, don´t we?

amigadelsol

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM

750 posts, read 1,434,772 times
I adopted a little terrier from a shelter, knowing he had a skin problem. He was on "death row" and nobody would adopt him with his obvious bare patches and open sores. I know. Crazy.

It's been 5 months since I brought him home, and the vet has cleared up the majority of his problems with medicated shampoo and antibiotics. Once the course of antibiotics was finished, the itching and red bumps started again, so now he's on a hypoallergenic diet (Royal Canin HP19). He'll be on this for 8-12 weeks and then we gradually introduce familiar foods to determine which ones he's reactive to. The HP19 is a hydrolyzed soy protein isolate (single carbohydrate: rice) with proteins broken down so finely that the dog's system does not recognize it as a protein. It looks and smells like regular dog food, but the ingredients are rice and vegetables, primarily beets. His "snacks" are carrots (raw, or nuked and mashed) and plain (wheatless) rice cakes.

So far, he's doing really well. The skin is clear for now. We're trying to keep him off any kind of steroid or other traditional allergy medications if we can. The BARF diet might be something to look into in the future.

His hair has all grown in, he's cute as a button and just the sweetest little guy. Very calm and friendly, especially for a terrier. I try not to think about all the money this "free" dog is costing me!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,304 times
Feed your dog RAW meat and RAW bones and I bet you will see the allergies vanish. Your dog is telling you they can't cope with the commercial crap in commercial food. I agree with anyone talking about no corn, wheat, grains etc.
When we gave our dogs kibble before switching them to the raw, we had them on Solid Gold and they did great. But at $54 a bag and it would only last a week for all of our dogs, which made me start looking around. But researching canine nutrition for a long time convinced me they deserved to be fed the way God designed them to be. And really there is no need to waste a bunch of money on expensive prepackaged raw food like Barf, Abady etc. Give your pooch a chicken quarter or ground meat a little organ meat, etc. Visit www.rawlearning.com it will give you much insight to proper canine nutrition and help you heal your dogs allergies. Best of Luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 26,441 times
Hi, amigadelsol, thanks for reply. I am thinking she does not like Pro Plan. But not so sure yet. By saying raw food, do you mean human food? If yes, do i have to buy it from a store? Actually i was feeding her human food and Pro Plan, so now may be it was too much for her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs