Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times

Advertisements

I lost my 19-year-old kitty in June and was devastated. I am now thinking of getting another pet, but think this time I will get a little dog. The reason for this is that my kitty was so attached to me that I really couldn't bear to leave her even for a weekend, and being a cat it would have stressed her too much to try to take her with me if I traveled. I worried about her any time I was away from her. I figure if I have a tiny dog, I can take it with me if I go somewhere, and won't have to leave it behind and worry about it.

I would like a very small dog, in the 3 to 5 lb range. I am talking Chihuahua, Yorkie, Yorkiepoo, something like that, but "teacup" size. I realize that no breeder recognizes teacup as a size, or Yorkiepoo as a breed for that matter. But what I mean is I want a very tiny dog.

My questions are about exercise. I would like to walk with my dog, but how far can a little dog like that walk? Would the dog be okay walking say one mile twice a day? I wouldn't expect it to walk 3 miles at a time or anything. I don't like to walk when it's extremely hot or extremely cold. But would 50 degrees be too cool for a little dog to be out in for 30 minutes? And when it's cold, a small dog is okay having the run of the house and not being walked, right?

And what about going potty in the cold? Do your tiny dogs go outside in the winter to potty, or do you let them use potty pads? I just can't see sending a tiny dog out in the cold.

We had a Chihuahua when I was growing up and I remember it shedding. I know Yorkies and poodles are virtually non-shedding (we had poodles when I was growing up too). I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed much, but if you bathed a Chihuahua weekly would that keep the shedding to a minimum? Do you think a small dog would tend to shed less than a cat? I guess that really depends on the particular dog and cat, huh?

Now about traveling, I am thinking a Chihuahua would be harder to travel with than a Yorkie or poodle (would tend to bark more/get nervous?). I might even want to fly with the dog at times so it would be best to have one that didn't freak out around people. I guess even a Chihuahua could be socialized so they didn't do that, though, right?

Also, if a Chihuahua/rat terrier mix weighs 3 pounds at 12 weeks, what would you guesstimate its adult weight to be? I was thinking maybe 6 pounds or maybe a little more because of the rat terrier. Mom is a small Chi and dad is a rat terrier but not sure of the size of the dad.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by luzianne; 09-12-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
regardless of the size of the dog it still has to pee and poop several times a day. i've heard it can be confusing to have outside pee place and then another place inside. all dogs need exercise regardless of size. i have 6 lb maltese who walks 4 miles a day in 3-5 increments. i wouldn't want a dog much smaller cause i'm afraid ir would get hurt or trapped or stepped on, etc.

you just might get a dog which won't travel well. some get car sick and of course you know you CANNOT leave any dog in a car in warm weather. if you leave the window down it still gets extremely hot and it is so unfair to make a dog wait for you while you shop, etc.
bichon dogs are about 15 lbs and stick like glue to their people. velcro dogs, very loyal, non shedding but sometimes hard to potty train.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
regardless of the size of the dog it still has to pee and poop several times a day. i've heard it can be confusing to have outside pee place and then another place inside. all dogs need exercise regardless of size. i have 6 lb maltese who walks 4 miles a day in 3-5 increments. i wouldn't want a dog much smaller cause i'm afraid ir would get hurt or trapped or stepped on, etc.

you just might get a dog which won't travel well. some get car sick and of course you know you CANNOT leave any dog in a car in warm weather. if you leave the window down it still gets extremely hot and it is so unfair to make a dog wait for you while you shop, etc.
bichon dogs are about 15 lbs and stick like glue to their people. velcro dogs, very loyal, non shedding but sometimes hard to potty train.
3-5 miles a day would be perfect for me; I just wouldn't want to overtax a tiny dog. Glad to hear your Maltese handles 4 miles well!

No, I would never leave a dog in a car in any weather! Didn't think about a dog getting car sick though.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,606,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I would like a very small dog, in the 3 to 5 lb range. I am talking Chihuahua, Yorkie, Yorkiepoo, something like that, but "teacup" size. I realize that no breeder recognizes teacup as a size, or Yorkiepoo as a breed for that matter. But what I mean is I want a very tiny dog.

You can't go wrong with a Chihuahua. We've talked in DM's but I'll say it again here. Chloe is 7 months old and is my 2nd Chihuahua... the first I had for about 4 years prior to the split with my ex... she kept the dog. I stand by the breed. They are small but make great pets. They are very protective and quite fearless... they don't know their own size.

My questions are about exercise. I would like to walk with my dog, but how far can a little dog like that walk?

Mine has plenty of energy. She loves to run... and walk too!

And what about going potty in the cold? Do your tiny dogs go outside in the winter to potty, or do you let them use potty pads? I just can't see sending a tiny dog out in the cold.

I can't speak about cold weather but mine has 2 pads in the house... useful for when nobody is home to take her out. I let her roam the living room and dining room while we are away... she occasionally goes off the pad but the good thing is Chihuahua messes are very small and easy to take care of.

Speaking of cold... they can get the shivers. Something to do with their size and their lack of a thick coat? They also like to burrow when it's time for bed. Mine sleeps with me and she will curl up in a ball beside me or at my feet... or at my side.... under the covers and she will sleep there all night.

I am on my bed typing this on my laptop.... she's curled up under a blanket on my lap.

We had a Chihuahua when I was growing up and I remember it shedding. I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed much, but if you bathed a Chihuahua weekly would that keep the shedding to a minimum?

Mine are shorthaired and I don't recall either of them shedding... I never noticed anything on the furniture or rugs. I've had big dogs as a kid and know what kind of shedding a Lab can do... Chi's are so small though and any shedding would be EXTREMELY minor. Were yours longhaired maybe?

Now about traveling, I am thinking a Chihuahua would be harder to travel with than a Yorkie or poodle (would tend to bark more/get nervous?). I might even want to fly with the dog at times so it would be best to have one that didn't freak out around people. I guess even a Chihuahua could be socialized so they didn't do that, though, right?

Mine will let you know that she doesn't know you... she'll bark at you. Once they get to know you though it's usually all good after that. My parents came and visited in July and for the first couple days Chloe would shy away from my mom and bark at her... at the end of their 2 week trip though she was fine though. It's just the nature of the breed.

Also, if a Chihuahua/rat terrier mix weighs 3 pounds at 12 weeks, what would you guesstimate its adult weight to be? I was thinking maybe 6 pounds or maybe a little more because of the rat terrier. Mom is a small Chi and dad is a rat terrier but not sure of the size of the dad.

Can't speak on mixes but my first Chi was 5 lbs... Chloe is 7 months old and currently 3 lbs. I'm not expecting her to get 5 lbs although she may possibly reach 4 lbs. Her parents are both in the 2 to 3 lb range...

Comments in bold.

Here's another pic for ya... taken when she was about 2 months old. As said, Chi's like to burrow in blankets!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
I once knew a Chihuahua breeder who could take her Chi with her inside her purse and no one knew it was there. She would even take it to restaurants and feed it noodles through the hole in her purse.

I general with toy breeds, you will find that show breeders are the only people actually breeding the tiny dogs that actually conform to the breed standard - they will never call them "tea cup" they will call them "correct.". It is simply very expensive and incredibly hard to breed toy breeds, so unethical puppy producers normally use "mothers" that are too large because they know that they can whelp cheaply and have larger litters = cash.

If you want a toy breed to take everywhere with you make sure it comes from a reputable show breeder. This is the only way you can get the proper health, correct small size, and temperament combo that will allow you to have a pleasurable, small pet with a good temperament that you can take everywhere, especially if you fly a lot and want to take your dog with you in a pet bag in the cabin as there are hight and size restrictions for that. Toy breeds can be notorious for having issues with being triple the correct size, nasty temperaments, and health issues like heart and knee issues, if they come from a rescue or back yard breeder. I cannot even tell you how many 25 lb "teacup" toy breeds I have worked with over the years - in breeds where the standard calls for 3 or 8 lbs. That puppy advertised in the paper as a teacup just might turn out as large as a beagle.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
Quote:

I would guess between 6 - 9 lbs.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Comments in bold.

Here's another pic for ya... taken when she was about 2 months old. As said, Chi's like to burrow in blankets!
Thanks for the advice and picture! Like I told you in DM, I would like a black Chi EXACTLY like Chloe. She is adorable!

The Chihuahua we had when I was a kid was shorthaired, but was a normal sized Chihuahua; not a tiny one like Chloe. I do remember some shedding, but it probably wasn't a whole lot. His name was Bambi and he looked just like Bambi the deer, except without the white spots. But once I saw Chloe I fell in love with that all black. She is beautiful!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I once knew a Chihuahua breeder who could take her Chi with her inside her purse and no one knew it was there. She would even take it to restaurants and feed it noodles through the hole in her purse.

I general with toy breeds, you will find that show breeders are the only people actually breeding the tiny dogs that actually conform to the breed standard - they will never call them "tea cup" they will call them "correct.". It is simply very expensive and incredibly hard to breed toy breeds, so unethical puppy producers normally use "mothers" that are too large because they know that they can whelp cheaply and have larger litters = cash.

If you want a toy breed to take everywhere with you make sure it comes from a reputable show breeder. This is the only way you can get the proper health, correct small size, and temperament combo that will allow you to have a pleasurable, small pet with a good temperament that you can take everywhere, especially if you fly a lot and want to take your dog with you in a pet bag in the cabin as there are hight and size restrictions for that. Toy breeds can be notorious for having issues with being triple the correct size, nasty temperaments, and health issues like heart and knee issues, if they come from a rescue or back yard breeder. I cannot even tell you how many 25 lb "teacup" toy breeds I have worked with over the years - in breeds where the standard calls for 3 or 8 lbs. That puppy advertised in the paper as a teacup just might turn out as large as a beagle.
Thanks. That is a lot of very helpful information! I had noticed the mothers being a lot larger than the fathers, and didn't realize why. So that's good to know. Also appreciate your advice on where to find what I am looking for.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,606,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Mine would be trying to get out of the purse... LOL... I don't consider her a "toy" or "mini" or anything else. She is quite tiny at 3 lbs, but she only 7 months and still has some more growing to do. She is definitely smaller than my first Chi who was 5 lbs at maturity.

Her parents are both 2-3 lbs so if genetics hold true she won't be getting that much bigger... I really don't expect her to reach 5 lbs... maybe 4.

Quote:
I would like a black Chi EXACTLY like Chloe. She is adorable!

The Chihuahua we had when I was a kid was shorthaired, but was a normal sized Chihuahua; not a tiny one like Chloe. I do remember some shedding, but it probably wasn't a whole lot. His name was Bambi and he looked just like Bambi the deer, except without the white spots. But once I saw Chloe I fell in love with that all black. She is beautiful!
I'm waiting on the breeder to send me some current photos of her parents... will share when I get them. I'm anxious to see what they look like too see if they are as beautiful as Chloe.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
Ive been around toy breeds all my life, most reacently long haired chichuhauas and Chinese crested.

My questions are about exercise. I would like to walk with my dog, but how far can a little dog like that walk? Would the dog be okay walking say one mile twice a day? I wouldn't expect it to walk 3 miles at a time or anything. I don't like to walk when it's extremely hot or extremely cold. But would 50 degrees be too cool for a little dog to be out in for 30 minutes? And when it's cold, a small dog is okay having the run of the house and not being walked, right?

the nice thing with many toy breeds (not nessicairly all small dogs as some are incredibly high energy) is they are highly adaptable...capable of getting enough xcersize playing fetch down the hallway or going for hikes...ive had plenty a toy dog happy to hike miles with me...ive had ust as many who don't like to wal 3+ miles at a time...but when your dog weighs under 6lbs...who cares, walk as far as hell walk, the pick her up put her in a sling or backpack and keep going!
in terms of temperatures, I have a 5lb hairless crested, temps drop below 70 and hes a shivery mess..thats why practical dog clothing like coats were invented, a lightweight fleece uder jacket or pajamas under a win breaker and hes ready to go on even the coldest days

mine go outside...if theres snow I dig a little patch for them...
potty pads are possible, my parents 3 chiuahaus are all pad trained because they go on the boat...howeve rits twice the work to break to both pads and outside...youll have to be very consistent with both as it can be confusing. if doing an indoor potty I suggest making it clearly defined with a "litterox" (you can use the pads in the box, but make sue the box itself has viasble walls) or one of those indoor grass patch potties ect...something that is VERY obviously a defined clear space otherwise you get the problem of...well my FRNT feet wee on the pad...not my fault I misses in the back

We had a Chihuahua when I was growing up and I remember it shedding. I know Yorkies and poodles are virtually non-shedding (we had poodles when I was growing up too). I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed much, but if you bathed a Chihuahua weekly would that keep the shedding to a minimum? Do you think a small dog would tend to shed less than a cat? I guess that really depends on the particular dog and cat, huh?
breed, diet, and coat care all will play a part, regular grooming and an undercoat rake are must haves...consier a long haired chichuhua (they shed less than shorts) or go for a naturally low shedding breed, toy poodle, yorkie, Chinese crested (hairless or puff) ect. I would stear 100% aboslulty clear of any MIX unless its a rescue...but honestly the amount of hair even a short hairdchichuha puts off it no more than the average house cat.

despite the reputation yappy dogs are not yappy because of breed they are yappy becaue of Training, ANY dog of ANY size can be aught the "enough" or "quiet" command. if you want a dog that wont freek out around people...socilie the dog fom day 1 with people. want a dog thatwont bark constantly train the dog the quiet command and don't rewrd the barking...build confidence through training to prevent nervous issues...you think chihauhaus are yappy DONT get a yorkie! lol
any dog would have to be trained to their travel carrier, but make it a part of the regular routein and no issues.

PLEASE also remember just because you CAN hide your dog in your purse and sneak it into places DOES NOT mean you should...THOSE people give all us small dog owners a bad name...just becaue you can carry your dog doenst mean it has any more of a right to be in that place than a german shepherd or Doberman. SIMPLE!

personally again unless RESCUING id avoid mixes...too much variation, and no responsible breeder purpously mixes breeds...generally id say a dog wigng 3lbs at 12 weeks is going to get up a little closer to 10lbs
and if your looking for a quiet calm low shedding low energy breed a rat terrier (or pretty much ANY of the terriers) is not something id suggest...they were bred to work, to hunt, they were not bred as companions like the chihuahaus and the toy poodle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs