Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 PM

74 posts, read 136,597 times

Advertisements

...this is only for the month of August in my area, but spay/nueter for any pit bull or pit mix is cheaper than any other breed at the same place. I'm all for it because of irresponsible breeders, and im considering fixing my 8 month old. Ive also been considering having 1 litter, and keeping all the pups in my family. All of my previous dogs have been fixed, but after the loss of my last, most obedient, pit bull mix, depression set in. I still think about all of my dogs from the past. I would love to have my own line of dog for my lifetime, strickly for my familys' enjoyment because my family feels the same way about the breed. We are big on training, and truly believe Pit Bulls are the best family dogs for us.
Open to advice and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,529,281 times
I don't know about you have your own breed for your family, but I am for cheaper spay and neuter costs for pitbull/pitbull mix dogs. Our no kill shelter is FULL of pit bull and pit bull mixes. There are so many there isn't much room for anything else. They are naturally fixed but rarely placed. I can barely stand to go there to visit, the dogs go absolutely nuts when anyone enters the kennel area and it is frightening. I often wonder what will ever happen with these dogs. They are so agressive that no one wants them. I guess they will live there until they die, it is sad. If they act that way when someone just walks into the room how on earth are they with children, strangers entering your home, or with other animals?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,471,266 times
Brokencrayola, dogs of all breeds can often seem aggressive barking behind the kennel doors of shelters. They are anxious to come out and don't know that their excitement puts people off! Once taken out, their true colors are instantly apparent. That does not mean they act like that in a home at all!
JuJu, I hope you take advantage of the low cost spay/neuter, and if your family wants pit bulls, they adopt from the shelter. There are wonderful dogs there. It is true that they are more often euthanized than any of the other breeds and mixes, and not because of temperament. Puppies do better, but even they can be hard to place at times. In some areas they are often euthanized too. Please don't add to the poulation!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,908,846 times
$20 to nuter, $200 for of and cerf testing? hmmm...I think id go for the low cost spay/neuter option

I just wish there were more low cost spay/neuter options around the country.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM

13,932 posts, read 39,411,243 times
Check dog shows comming up an clinics I got lady tested 2 yrs ago $35

Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,952,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I don't know about you have your own breed for your family, but I am for cheaper spay and neuter costs for pitbull/pitbull mix dogs. Our no kill shelter is FULL of pit bull and pit bull mixes. There are so many there isn't much room for anything else. They are naturally fixed but rarely placed. I can barely stand to go there to visit, the dogs go absolutely nuts when anyone enters the kennel area and it is frightening. I often wonder what will ever happen with these dogs. They are so agressive that no one wants them. I guess they will live there until they die, it is sad. If they act that way when someone just walks into the room how on earth are they with children, strangers entering your home, or with other animals?
While it's true what you say about some people being afraid of pit bulls, ALL dogs in shelters bark like that whenever someone goes in. Every breed unless they're cowering in the corner. It's like a chain reaction. It's just excitement. If people think that the place is going to let them adopt an "aggressive" dog then they really shouldn't be looking for dogs randomly like that. And yes, all dogs with excitable energy need direction and shouldn't just be adopted out unless the people show they can handle them and know what they're doing after the shelter does testing on the dogs and gets to know them and shows the people what they need. EXERCISE to begin with!

I worked in a boarding kennel for a month once and the first thing the owner told me was NEVER to walk in there for no reason because it made the dogs nuts and disruptive for an hour. And he was right. It was a really boring job, I sat in the office all afternoon long answering the phone and walked/fed one hour at the end of my shift when he got back. (this was not one of these "doggie day care" places it was an old school boarding kennel where they had a concrete room/pen, a fenced in run with a big doggie door, and got walks, period.)

Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 16,352,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Brokencrayola, dogs of all breeds can often seem aggressive barking behind the kennel doors of shelters. They are anxious to come out and don't know that their excitement puts people off! Once taken out, their true colors are instantly apparent. That does not mean they act like that in a home at all!
JuJu, I hope you take advantage of the low cost spay/neuter, and if your family wants pit bulls, they adopt from the shelter. There are wonderful dogs there. It is true that they are more often euthanized than any of the other breeds and mixes, and not because of temperament. Puppies do better, but even they can be hard to place at times. In some areas they are often euthanized too. Please don't add to the poulation!
I totally agree.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,256,003 times
OP you would be what we call a BackYard Breeder, BYB and this is not a good thing at all. With so many pitties being put to sleep and homeless why would you even think of adding to the problem? Your family would do well to adopt some of those poor dogs instead of trying to start your own line. You would not be doing the breed in general a service, in fact just the opposite.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM

74 posts, read 136,597 times
Call me what you want, but I'd say more of a bedroom breeder. Idk if you read my whole post, but the difference between me and byb's, I wouldnt be selling any puppies. Although I will most likely be getting my pup fixed, one day my family will have our own family of dogs.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,471,266 times
But, if your family adopts, say 5 dogs from the shelter, that's 5 lives that are saved, and 5 kennel spaces that open up to save 5 more dogs. Just a drop in the bucket with literally thousands of pit bulls being put to sleep every single day in this country, but just think if more people start making that choice....
Think about it, shelters wouldn't offer such extremely low prices for pit bull spay/neuters if there weren't such a surplus of pit bull puppies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs