Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,308,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Very good advice here, thanks! We taught Karma very early on to sit and wait for the OK before eating. She caught on very quickly, but then, she was 7 months old. I have taught Teddy to do a reliable sit, not bad for ten weeks old, and am now working on WAIT and STAY. It will be a little while before he can sit and wait for more than a few seconds. I am most proud of being able to train him to not come into the kitchen prep area at any time. The rule here is no dogs in the kitchen EVER. Too dangerous for them and for me. Now I just see him peeking around the corner, but he doesn't cross the line, and it is SO cute.
Miss Carly does not grasp no kitchen. I'm only 5 ft tall and often have to try and stretch for what ever I am after or gentle scoot with my foot and a stern, "go on!" and she does leave the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,298,688 times
You sound like a wonderful owner. I think everything will be fine. I think your older dog is just asserting her leadership role...which should be after your leadership. Maybe you should fake eat out of her bowl, then sit it down...then the little guys.
I always have put my hands into the bowls of my dogs right from the start, messing w/ their food while they were eating from the time they were puppies. My dog still loves when I put a few morsels from the bowl into her mouth, it makes her feel special I think. Anyway, so far it works, my previous dog never guarded his food and was raised w/ 4 boys til he was 16 plus...never a worry. My bulldog is 4, and even lets the cat share his food while she is eating, absolutely no guarding.
Another thing I've routinely done is when giving treats I share them, giving each one a treat and so on...I think it helps them know that they will get their treat too and increases their patience.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,387,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You sound like a wonderful owner. I think everything will be fine. I think your older dog is just asserting her leadership role...which should be after your leadership. Maybe you should fake eat out of her bowl, then sit it down...then the little guys.
I always have put my hands into the bowls of my dogs right from the start, messing w/ their food while they were eating from the time they were puppies. My dog still loves when I put a few morsels from the bowl into her mouth, it makes her feel special I think. Anyway, so far it works, my previous dog never guarded his food and was raised w/ 4 boys til he was 16 plus...never a worry. My bulldog is 4, and even lets the cat share his food while she is eating, absolutely no guarding.
Another thing I've routinely done is when giving treats I share them, giving each one a treat and so on...I think it helps them know that they will get their treat too and increases their patience.
Jan, I do that too! I have always made sure I can put my face right down near a dog's bowl or bone without seeing a curled lip or bared teeth. She is fine with the humans in the house. It's the puppy she can get aggressive with when it comes to food or treats. But it's only been a few times, and now the two dogs are behaving pretty politely at mealtime, even the little guy.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,198,192 times
Aww!
I agree, Karma seems to be acting completely appropriately.
My last puppy was a JRT cross and the resident two dogs were Rottweilers. She was so tiny and they were so big!
But although there were many, many instances of noisy and dramatic sturm and drang and snarling and teeth and wailing by the puppy, all was well and the Rottweilers were excellent puppy-raisers. The JRT pup is now a certified therapy dog, agility dog and amazingly good as far as being dog-social and I really think much of this is due to her being raised by two wise Rottweilers.

I also mess with my dogs' heads while they're eating (not too much though because I do believe dogs ought to be able to eat in peace.) I do not fault food-aggressiveness around other dogs, although I won't allow it, if that makes sense. I also think it's OK if an adult dog gets a bit guardy with food around humans s/he does not know.

However, anyone who lives in the house or who is a regular is part of the "pack" and as such must be respected 100 percent and my dogs had better understand that. It extends to the two house cats...as far as the dogs are concerned the cats are my property and are never to be harrassed.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,387,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Aww!
I agree, Karma seems to be acting completely appropriately.
My last puppy was a JRT cross and the resident two dogs were Rottweilers. She was so tiny and they were so big!
But although there were many, many instances of noisy and dramatic sturm and drang and snarling and teeth and wailing by the puppy, all was well and the Rottweilers were excellent puppy-raisers. The JRT pup is now a certified therapy dog, agility dog and amazingly good as far as being dog-social and I really think much of this is due to her being raised by two wise Rottweilers.

I also mess with my dogs' heads while they're eating (not too much though because I do believe dogs ought to be able to eat in peace.) I do not fault food-aggressiveness around other dogs, although I won't allow it, if that makes sense. I also think it's OK if an adult dog gets a bit guardy with food around humans s/he does not know.

However, anyone who lives in the house or who is a regular is part of the "pack" and as such must be respected 100 percent and my dogs had better understand that. It extends to the two house cats...as far as the dogs are concerned the cats are my property and are never to be harrassed.

Sturm and drang...LOL!! Good thing I married a Brit or I wouldn't know what you were talking about!

Old 06-10-2023, 03:48 PM

842 posts, read 780,736 times
Default OP needs to unprivatize their youtube video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I tried to watch your video but recvd this message instead:

Video Unavailable
This is a Private Video

Old 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM

37,269 posts, read 41,483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I tried to watch your video but recvd this message instead:

Video Unavailable
This is a Private Video
OP has not posted since 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs