Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,294,384 times

Advertisements

Our Natura popped by yesterday to double check our batch codes, which of course I had already triple checked

When I asked why there seemed to be a rash of voluntary recalls across the board due to Salmonella, he informed me what he was told is that not the FDA, but State Departments of Agriculture are cracking down and doing more testing of the pet foods and we're seeing more now as the testing is happening than before. So there's been a chance all along?

Just thought I'd share what I learned....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,832,415 times
Are pets getting sick... or humans? There's salmonella in the general environment, dry pet food included, and dogs can handle it better than humans. I wonder if it's humans getting sick from handling the food and not washing thoroughly afterward.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,198,356 times
According to this, it's a risk to animals and humans.

Natura pet food recalled, possible salmonella | 6abc.com

Utah Dog Food Recalled Because of Salmonella Contamination | Food Safety News

Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,892,194 times
the likelyhood of a HEALTHY adult dog or cat (or even a healthy pup) getting salmonella is INCREDIBLY low, its VEYR rare for an animal with a healthy digestive system to get salmonella because the ph is different...remember dogs and cats evolved to eat RAW meat, and scavange decaying matter...would be kind of silly to evolve for a diet like that and NOT make the body an inhopsitable place for something like salmonella...

now an already sick/weakend animal, absolutly could surcumb, but in those cases theres something going on BEFORE and its the complications not the illnes tself that causes the issues (just like a human with a compromised immune system...)

personally i belive that theres been salmonella in comerical food since comercial food began...(and before that it was in the raw eggs a farm dog would occasionally mamage to get hold of or the roadkill they snacked on ect...) but that we as humans over time have become so trusting of OUR health with others that we are not taking simple precautions (like washing our hands) and even more so wer are so obsesed with "protecting ourselves" from bugs and germs that were also weakening our immune system...add the chemicals and junk and that blind "well the food people say its safe so it must be ok" attitude so common these days and tada, theres BOUND to be more incidents...

Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,011,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the likelyhood of a HEALTHY adult dog or cat (or even a healthy pup) getting salmonella is INCREDIBLY low, its VEYR rare for an animal with a healthy digestive system to get salmonella because the ph is different...remember dogs and cats evolved to eat RAW meat, and scavange decaying matter...would be kind of silly to evolve for a diet like that and NOT make the body an inhopsitable place for something like salmonella...
What I've read is that the risk is higher with dry foods because it takes an unnaturally long time for their system to digest (both due to the form of dry kibble and due to all the carbs that they can only digest very inefficiently), so the bacteria gets to kick around inside longer. The risk is higher for salmonella infected dry kibble than it is if a dog kills and eats a salmonella infected chicken. With that said, in either case, they can shed the bacteria in their feces, which is a concern for some, especially if there are little kids about, due to cross-contamination with dog paws, etc

Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM

857 posts, read 2,220,208 times
Our 3 dogs got sick form California Natural Chicken,It isn't recalled that I know,jast the Kangaroo meat.

Yet sick they all were/only common denominator and no other food to blame it on.

Never going to buy it again.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,832,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
What I've read is that the risk is higher with dry foods because it takes an unnaturally long time for their system to digest (both due to the form of dry kibble and due to all the carbs that they can only digest very inefficiently), so the bacteria gets to kick around inside longer. The risk is higher for salmonella infected dry kibble than it is if a dog kills and eats a salmonella infected chicken. With that said, in either case, they can shed the bacteria in their feces, which is a concern for some, especially if there are little kids about, due to cross-contamination with dog paws, etc
Great observation! In raw circles, they advise that if you have to give one meal of kibble, DON'T give raw until at least 12 hours later for the next meal. Give time for the dry to process thru the GI tract without "holding back the raw," which takes much less time to process.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,892,194 times
yes this is VERY VERY true!

abbara, you telling me the dogs never eat the same treats? or drink from the same water bowl? or go to the same places as eachother? go on trips to the park together? go out in the yard!? theres lots of every day things that all the dogs in 1 house are exposed to that could make them sick..and just like with kids, if ones going to get a cold, a tummy ug, the chicken pox ect, its very likely theyve ALL already been exposed to it and are all going o get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs