Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That is my plan too, except we will be buried in the plot next to my Mom at the cemetery.
Be very careful no one sees you in the cemetery. You will fine that is not legal.

BTW.....I would still do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
When my father passed away, the people at the cemetery were nice enough to let me put his cats' ashes in the urn with his (he's in a mausoleum), even though they weren't supposed to. Don't tell!
And BTW, who made that stupid rule? It needs to be changed. What is their reasoning?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
When my father passed away, the people at the cemetery were nice enough to let me put his cats' ashes in the urn with his (he's in a mausoleum), even though they weren't supposed to. Don't tell!
And BTW, who made that stupid rule? It needs to be changed. What is their reasoning?
I was a sexton at one time. You just can not have everyone digging in there. Most of the laws we followed where state laws. You can have to have a vault.....this is to protect the groundwater.

Like everything else records have to be kept.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:29 AM

When you get ashes back the little box is a legal vault.......at least in Michigan.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Another thing.....it would be just a mater of time mom and pop would want to be together. Mother and child.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You do not have to keep the ashes together.

Bear's ashes are divided......a few in a place in his favorite room.......and a few in the woods he played in.
That was going to be my suggestion.....divide the ashes and keep some and set some free in the park.

We buried the ashes of 4 dogs and 3 family members in a garden in a house we expected to stay in...but we sold the house and moved far away......before moving I took a container of the soil from over the burial site and we have that on a family altar here in our new house.....plus the ashes of another deceased family member. I put fresh water out on that altar and often flowers.....(I even put lottery tickets up there for a blessing.)

I really think it is ok and normal to keep those ashes .... or to release them to the earth. Either way the soul or spirit of the dearly beloved is with us.....as long as we remember and honor them.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Have 3 of my dogs' ashes on a shelf in my bedroom. And a photo of each dog. I knew I was at some point going to move and I didn't want to leave Maggee and Saffy behind. Soon all 3 will move with me again.

If you're weird, guess I'm weirder!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Be very careful no one sees you in the cemetery. You will fine that is not legal.

BTW.....I would still do it.
Depends where you live. Many states do not allow un-cremated animals to be buried in a cemetery with people, but once cremated they can be buried with you. (You can also get a small granite mausoleum that will handle two people plus the dog(s) ashes for not too outrageous a price.)

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM

35 posts, read 57,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That was going to be my suggestion.....divide the ashes and keep some and set some free in the park.

We buried the ashes of 4 dogs and 3 family members in a garden in a house we expected to stay in...but we sold the house and moved far away......before moving I took a container of the soil from over the burial site and we have that on a family altar here in our new house.....plus the ashes of another deceased family member. I put fresh water out on that altar and often flowers.....(I even put lottery tickets up there for a blessing.)

I really think it is ok and normal to keep those ashes .... or to release them to the earth. Either way the soul or spirit of the dearly beloved is with us.....as long as we remember and honor them.
I concur. We're on our second dog now, but our first dog was the true family dog. We had so many great memories with him on our family vacations back in Oregon that we took his ashes there and scattered them in one of the recreational parks we frequent out in Fairview. The family goes back there yearly with our current dog so it is a fitting place. There's a scrapbook of all of the photos we collected with him and the family over the years and have continued that with the new dog. Very nice to look at.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
Don't dump them or make a planter, what if you should move?

I keep mine on the mantel and on my dresser.

They will always be with me no matter where we live.

But again, it's personal preference.

When I die, My wishes are to be cremated and our ashes mixed together, then "dumped" in to a predetermined place in a predetermined river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs