Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 AM

48,293 posts, read 22,067,698 times

Advertisements

I noticed that my beagle girl has a puffy area on the inside flap of her ear. It is not inflamed and doesnt look at all like an infection. It feels as if there is some fluid under the skin. It is not sensitive nor painful for her when I touch it.....and she seems well in every other way....the area is about the size of a half dollar coin....there isnt any wound or cut that I can see.

Do any of you have any ideas about what it might be? I will be calling for a vet appointment...but wondered if you have any experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,976,711 times
Sounds like an ear hematoma, which is a burst blood vessel in the ear. The puffiness is accumulated blood. I had a dog with this condition, and it rapidly grew to encompass her whole ear. The country vet I brought her to did not do a great job - he made several cuts throughout the inside of the ear to release the blood and stop the bleeding. When healed, her ear was a crumpled "cauliflower ear" and gave her problems for the rest of her life. I wish I had brought her to someone more qualified.

Google images of ear hematoma in dogs and see if they look similar to what your beagle is experiencing.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 AM

30,699 posts, read 16,347,482 times
My dog got some. The 1st, the vet drained and stitched as aquietpath described, then looked further and discovered she had ear mites. The hematoma was a result of her scratching. But her ear looked fine and gave her no further problems. I'd keep an eye on her and if it seemed like she was scratching a bit much, checked for the mites.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM

48,293 posts, read 22,067,698 times
Thank you. I did keep googling and found hematoma and that sounds like what it is. She is in no distress. I also checked and the ear canal seems clean and not odoriferous....I don't think she has mites or infections. I put a warm compress on it and will repeat several times today......and call the vet for an appointment tomorrow.

I did read about attempts to surgically address the problem that compounded rather than alleviate it. I wonder if necessary if the vet could do a needle aspiration rather than cutting the ear.

Again thank you for your helpful responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs