Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,251,367 times

Advertisements

Why does it cost so much?

Former Marine Raises $4,000 To Be Reunited With Dog From Afghanistan - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,053,751 times
At least he's paying for it and not me.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,331,159 times
Because they're taking advantage of his love for the dog.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Why would the Germans feed one sibling dog and malnourish the other?

Quote:
We were driving back to the tent and I noticed there were two dogs, one running to the left and one running to the right,” Duling said.

Duling quickly learned the female’s name was Xena, and the male was Bolt. Although they were brother and sister from the same litter, Xena had been very well-taken care of, but the same couldn’t be said for her brother.

“I was stationed with the German army. The German guys were taking care of Xena. They had built her a little house, feeding her two to three times a day. Bolt was kind of left outside. No one really gave him food. He was very malnourished, very skinny but still a very happy dog,” Duling said.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
OMG! Read the comments!

I'm shocked the military would do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
When my son was serving in Iraq, he and several other Marines became attached to dogs who had wandered on base. They were a Godsend when these guys had particularly bad days – which was almost everyday. Their loyal companions would be there waiting for them upon return from their missions. Too bad the command decided the dogs could be diseased and ordered them all SHOT on the spot while most of the guys were away on patrols. Tossed into a pile and left to rot, my son, who still suffers from PTSD remembers how his little friend’s stiff leg stuck straight up in the air from the heap for weeks. Nice story, eh?! True fact – and to this day, we’re STILL fighting for his VA benefits! Wish I could be happy for Duling but if you’ve experienced what we have for the past 9 years, you’d understand!
Shocked!!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,251,367 times
nothing about this war shocks me. I will contribute however I can to help these soldiers bring home their buddies. i feel it is the least we can do for them.

Last edited by no kudzu; 10-23-2012 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,490,269 times
It costs a lot to medically clear and ship an animal from Afghanistan.
Check out the Puppy Rescue Mission, which aims at stopping the heartbreak for so many soldiers of their loyal companions being left to torture and death when the soldiers leave. It might sound, well, cost-ineffective, but if there are people willing to donate (and there are many) and it helps some soldiers hold onto their hearts and emotional selves, I'm all for it.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,640,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
it costs a lot to medically clear and ship an animal from afghanistan.
Check out the puppy rescue mission, which aims at stopping the heartbreak for so many soldiers of their loyal companions being left to torture and death when the soldiers leave. It might sound, well, cost-ineffective, but if there are people willing to donate (and there are many) and it helps some soldiers hold onto their hearts and emotional selves, i'm all for it.
^^^👀 Amen!!! 👍👍

Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,134,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It costs a lot to medically clear and ship an animal from Afghanistan.
Check out the Puppy Rescue Mission, which aims at stopping the heartbreak for so many soldiers of their loyal companions being left to torture and death when the soldiers leave. It might sound, well, cost-ineffective, but if there are people willing to donate (and there are many) and it helps some soldiers hold onto their hearts and emotional selves, I'm all for it.
I agree! I just wish i could afford to donate at the present time.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,490,269 times
If you use Facebook, there will be an announcement of a new dog to be brought to the U.S., the story, and a place to "chip in" on Paypal, I think it is.
I personally prefer to just write a check periodically, but the chip-in amounts can be much smaller and still contribute quite a lot to the projects (and the photos are wonderful, the soldiers and their dogs, and then the dogs happy in their new homes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs