Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,665,974 times

Advertisements

I found a female Basset running the streets lost and dirty, possibly in or just out of heat. Of course I rescued the pooch and brought her home We are advertising in the lost and found in case someone is looking for her BUT I am hoping that we'll get to keep her. She has already stolen our hearts after only 5-6 days! She is great with all the kids and the cat, has already claimed my favorite chair and knows exactly where the food is! I have done alot of research on this breed and like what I see (except a few physical issues that might come up). I think I can even put up with her dripping water all over the floor with her ears. I would love to hear from those who have/had them what your experiences are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
I want him too! I have a beagle/basset mix. Bassets are great dogs!

If you want to keep him, make sure you keep him on a leash whenever he goes outside.

Otherwise, he'll get lost again and end up someone elses pet.

Bassets aren't very good at finding their way back home.

They follow their noses and forget where they came from because they're so focused on what they're following.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,712 times
I don't know anything about the breed, but that's great that you saved her!!!Really nice...

Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,289,364 times
Please just make sure whoever identifies her can really identify her - and you might check. Usually there are laws governing how long a dog can be "missing" without being found before she is considered yours. As long as a good faith effort is made....but I know you want her to be with her real people if that's a possibility - still, I'd have problems releasing her back to her owners after a substantial amount of time without knowing where she was going to....otherwise how would she have gotten lost in the first place?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
Have you had her checked for a micro chip? I am sure her owners are frantic....

Old 10-10-2007, 04:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,062,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I want him too! I have a beagle/basset mix. Bassets are great dogs!

If you want to keep him, make sure you keep him on a leash whenever he goes outside.

Otherwise, he'll get lost again and end up someone elses pet.

Bassets aren't very good at finding their way back home.

They follow their noses and forget where they came from because they're so focused on what they're following.
I have heard this too--about beagles as well.
In my old hometown, there was this beagle, Huckleberry, across the street that I used to see all over the place.
I'd be a mile from my house at a shopping center, and there Huckleberry would be, walking along and sniffing the sidewalk.
Bassets are absolutely adorable.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,614,306 times
I volunteer for bassethoundrescue.net
I also have three bassets who I have rescued and adopted. They are a wonderful breed. I like them because they require little exercise (I live in a city with a small courtyard). They are really loyal with a nice big bark to let folks know they are there. I have a cat also whom they never bother other than occasionally slobbering her up. One caution: they live for the scent. So, never let them out without a leash. Regardless of how well you train them, if they smell something(which they always do), they are gone. We only let folks with fenced yards adopt them because that is such an issue.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 AM

You all have great points! There are some things about her that only the owners would know so any responses will have to face the Gestapo before we let her go. Not only because we love her but because we care about animals and don't want something bad to happen to her. Someone could pick her up to train fighting dogs or to breed or because they wanted a Basset, you never know. I lost my golden just a few weeks ago and wish someone had returned her to us so I will respect her owners and give it my best shot. I will also take her to a local vet to check for a chip this weekend. This sweet pooch is now in a securely fenced yard that comes stocked with a dog house and a resident cat for company. We let her out in the driveway once and she was off before we knew it so I can see how they are totally focused and lose their direction, perhaps this is how we came to find her. Thanks ya'll ever so much. I will keep you updated!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Some pics for you all

Here are some pics I took last night. She was just about to have a fit for some cheese!
Attached Thumbnails
Basset Hound found!-got-cheese.jpg   Basset Hound found!-i-smell-cheese.jpg   Basset Hound found!-smell-somethin.jpg   Basset Hound found!-too-cute.jpg  

Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM

98 posts, read 454,495 times
She's adorable! I have three rescued basset hounds and they are an absolute joy.

The only thing I've not seen covered yet is to keep a close eye on her ears, bassets are very prone to ear infections with those long floopy ears not letting much air inside. Secondly, don't let her get big and fat. With a long back, being overweight is very hard on them. A true basset hound should be muscular and fit; this is a hunting breed afterall! BTW, all three of my bassets can and do accompany me on bike rides and hikes; they'll easily do 5-8 miles without being winded, and eager to do more! Some are lazy of course, but some still have that hunting/athletic side in them!

Good for you for taking her in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs