Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have just about given up on my search in shelters. The several I have called about have been abused and snap at little kids.

I am browsing the Pet Rescue sites and looking for various breeders.

I read about the Coton Tulear and it sounds like a great companion. It's not too common and its price is quite high ($2600 to $3000). Anyone know of a less expensive but reputable breeder?

Anyone have 1st hand experience with them? Their intelligence and temperament is similar to the Bichon Frise - and they can swim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
There was a breeder in the florida area, who I found on the breeders web refferal
page. I think in Sarasota. the prices for a pet were 2000. I think a Bichon is 1200-
1500. You can also check out small paws rescue. I alot of breeders also will not
allow a puppy to go to a home unless a child is over 8, and somebody is home
alot. My neighbor does have one, and I had a Bichon, who was super friendly.

They also need lots, lots of groming, because they get matted. that adds up also.
the best way go the the conton tulear dog club web page, and you can email questions.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Ok, I have just about given up on my search in shelters. The several I have called about have been abused and snap at little kids.

I am browsing the Pet Rescue sites and looking for various breeders.

I read about the Coton Tulear and it sounds like a great companion. It's not too common and its price is quite high ($2600 to $3000). Anyone know of a less expensive but reputable breeder?

Anyone have 1st hand experience with them? Their intelligence and temperament is similar to the Bichon Frise - and they can swim!

Please don't give up on adoption. I have always believed that mutts make the best pets, and I'm sure there is one waiting for you to come to the rescue!! Please try some more before paying so much to a breeder.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:12 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
OH GOD...a COTON in a POOL!!!!

Grooming nightmare!!!!!!!!!

Please don't buy this breed unless you like to brush and comb and have lots of money for their grooming bills.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:38 PM

How about a Cavalier King Charles? Yes....they can have heart problems...but by only dealing with good breeders and taking some time to learn about the few different types of breeding so you can read a pedigree properly, you could minimize this. Every one I have ever come across was the sweetest dog on the planet. Just enough energy for a child without being a total hyper ball of spaziness. Boys will like the energy cause they play hard and little girls will love the fact you can still put bows in their ears.

They don't shed alot, and are relatively easy upkeep...most people like them natural but you may want to have their feet trimmed up on occasion. A quick brush once in awhile, wipe out their ears and they are good to go.

Not sure how they do in the heat of florida, but if they can deal with the god awful east coast summers in NYC, then I am sure they would be fine.

They may be a little on the pricey side....but...whoever said love was cheap????

Old 10-07-2007, 06:28 AM

I only received 2 replies from 7 emails that I sent out regarding puppies available/price.

There is only one male from one that was $2600 and another one that was $3000. Yikes! I went to a website out of curiosity for a local pet shop that sold one for $799. He said he only gets puppies from out of state since they are USDA approved meaning that they are good as livestock not necessarily good to their breed.

Stop Puppy Mills

Howe

Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 AM

For what kind of dog?
Like I told another poster, if you are interested in a particular breed you should contact your local kennel club...OR....if you are in a smaller city or town, whatever club is closest in a large city. Trust me....dog show people know everyone and what they have and who has litters and what litters are bad, etc., etc. There is only so much searching you will be able to do online....eventually you will have to get out there. ALot of kennel clubs have fall matches now.....GO! You will not be sorry and learn alot about dogs and have a chance to see all the different breeds.

Another avenue to pursue is dog show handlers....again...they know everybody and will know who has pet quality puppies.

That is really sad about the 'livestock thing'.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Here is some addresses but no clickable links:

AKC American Kennel Club

And meetup is a good thing to pursue:

Dog Breeders, Dog Breeders Meetups, events, clubs and groups near Orange Park, Florida

and finally the motherlode of links:

Dog Events Online - State Resources (http://www.dogeventsonline.com/Resources.asp?state=FL&Action=GO - broken link)

Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
For what kind of dog?
The Coton de Tulear. However, I am finding it to be very expensive ($1600 to $3000).

There was that puppy shop for $799 which is way too low when compared to more reputable breeders.

I think I will go for a Bichon Frise (there was one in a rescue and one reputable breeder in Northern VA) or Shih Tzu (which I haven't looked for, yet).

Old 10-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Yeah...Cotons are pricey as they are not too popular....though I did alot of them in NYC....many were owned by Brits who brought them over when they visited. It is so hard to find a good bichon....again....you may want to contact the kennel club. SHih tzus are in the same boat, only what is worse is so many are mixed with lhasas. Yep....very hard to find a nice dog when a breed gets popular. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs