Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds gross but it is so much easier to clean and deal with than on the hardwood floor or carpet. Doesn't happen often but when housetraining is broken I sure wish they would go in the shower.

Actually Lucy will use the shower if she has middle of the night poop accident cause she is locked up with me overnight in the master bedroom. But during the day she goes in the hall bathroom on the hardwood floor.

You'd think with all the walks and exercise they get my dogs wouldn't ever have indoor accidents but it happens. This morning at 4:30 Toby was whining in his crate---he has never done that. I sleepily put him in the shower and he just looked at me. When I opened the shower door he ran to pee on the carpet. argggg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Just like Any training You Take her to the area You want her to go & PRAISE when she does it! I know Lots of dogs trained to use showers/ tube just Bleach Before YOU Shower LOL

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
How old are these dogs? I don't think I've ever had a dog have an accident once housetrained....

Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
you might want to try puppy pads or an attractant spray.

maciesmom, youve NEVER had a dog have an accident? even the best trained dog is likley to have an accident at some point in thier life, be it an upset tummy, or you didnt pay attention or you were gone too long...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Actually I haven't. I wasn't trying to be snarky. I was just surprised - we've had several dogs over the years and unless they were sick (in which case, I don't think they'd have had time to run to the shower anyway), no we've never had any accidents. I guess we've just been lucky.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Next time they potty take a little & place it in the shower! But You have to stay with them no matter how long they take to relax & go! You take puppies papers outside their crate every 2 hrs! IF they didnt go after 15 mins you put them back in their crate then try again 30 mins latter till they go... Same idea! IF your dog can hole say 4 hrs then instead of taking them outside put them in the shower! LOL Make sure you Reallly clean the floors esp the carpets to kill ALL odors!

All my dogs were Paper trained as Puppies even the ones I sold! Paper training can be transfered outside or litterbox or shower Where ever YOU pick for your dogs to go! I NEVER felt it was fair to MAke a Dog hold themselves while people work/sleep/play. That being said I NEVER had a dog Not make it to potty area even when sick! How often have you had to suddenly jump up & go & missed the Comode??? Same idea! You know even before humans had inside plumbing they had chamber pot BUT the poor dog Now Confined inside has No Where to go!! Not Fair!!

OP thanks for being considerate & responsible towards your dogs!

Last edited by Katie1; 08-15-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM

I am soo sick of people freaking when I say my dogs are train to use paper Inside! Yet people Expect Cats to go Inside even ones that are not 100% housebound! Whats wrong with this pic??

Another thing you walk your dog Then you pickup his Poop Then you cary Bags of poop home YECK! To me its more enjoyable dog goes Before you take him out for the walk You clean/flush it! No bags of poop are your carring aroung You Actuly Enjoy walking with your dog again!! WOW How about that!

Want to also add Cleaning up poo on paper or litterbox inside beats Worring IF someone like your Kids getting into poo in the yard!

Last edited by Katie1; 08-15-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Lucy is 11 and Toby is 3. Their last potty of the night is when we are ready to go to bed and DH takes them out the front door, sits on the porch and they quickly pee, hop around a bit and then come in.

But when he is out of town this joy falls on me and they roam a bit in the front yard and take their time coming to me. I caught Lucy eating something in the yard the other night and the only thing it could have been was deer poop. Guess who had the runs in the shower in the middle of the night?

Also our 10 year old girls are supposed to feed the dogs every night around 5 but sometimes they are late or forget, or we are not home and dogs eat too late which messes up their schedules. Hence accidents. Once while recovering from broken foot I could not manage as many dog walks with that darn humongous boot on and ...well...accidents.

Also neither one will pee in the rain. We can walk them for an hour but they refuse so we bring them back in, sometimes forget and then guess what? accident.

Maciesmom---you have indeed been very fortunate if your dogs have never had an accident. I'm not so lucky.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM

I dont think since they are potting inside already you have to hard a time transfer them to the shower! I would Stop taking them outside to potty tho. Take them to the Shower BEFORE you take them outside Tell them to Go Potty & Praise when they do! THEN take them out Only then they have pottied! Thats how I do my dogs! I Cant cleanup after them I handicap so when they go potty outside to me that IS an Accident LOL We have Tons of kids that Love to play with them & adults that pet them when we are out. So I Love a CLEAN Yard! Even with pooper scooper Some is always left behind!

I have a pooper scooper! Inbetween Kevin changing & cleaning the floor I Scoop & flush when they poo!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Next time they potty take a little & place it in the shower! But You have to stay with them no matter how long they take to relax & go! You take puppies papers outside their crate every 2 hrs! IF they didnt go after 15 mins you put them back in their crate then try again 30 mins latter till they go... Same idea! IF your dog can hole say 4 hrs then instead of taking them outside put them in the shower! LOL Make sure you Reallly clean the floors esp the carpets to kill ALL odors!

All my dogs were Paper trained as Puppies even the ones I sold! Paper training can be transfered outside or litterbox or shower Where ever YOU pick for your dogs to go! I NEVER felt it was fair to MAke a Dog hold themselves while people work/sleep/play. That being said I NEVER had a dog Not make it to potty area even when sick! How often have you had to suddenly jump up & go & missed the Comode??? Same idea! You know even before humans had inside plumbing they had chamber pot BUT the poor dog Now Confined inside has No Where to go!! Not Fair!!

OP thanks for being considerate & responsible towards your dogs!
I trained a house cat the very same way, using the transfer method to the outside, she used to go to the door when she wanted out, of course, that was years ago, we lived deep in the woods, very few cars up and down the road. I wish more breeders would start training their pups to either litter or paper train them.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs