Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times

Advertisements

I think there was certainly negligence by the maid service. It's not like the owner left the dog sleeping on the living room couch and no instructions.
I have Brazilians (local group of cleaning services) who come to the house once a month. I can't put my six dogs anywhere, so I put the two who are very fearful in the mudroom, and make sure to tell the ladies not to bother with the mudroom (sometimes they put recycling in there). I take the other dogs outside, if the weather is nice, or upstairs, where I only use the desk and don't need cleaning there much.
I have been very touched with how courteous they are about the dogs, like when one runs into the house before they're finished. That happened the other day, where my playful youngest, Dodger, decided to play with the swiffer one woman was using. Every time she pushed it, he pounced on it. They were hysterical with laughter. They are lovely ladies, and their English gets better and better.
I would never be able to leave the dogs with them, except maybe one or two seniors locked upstairs.
I think I will build stairs to the basement one of these days.
I wonder how much English the housecleaner in that case knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, this was negligence. The maid had been told exactly what to do to prevent the dog from getting out of the house and agreed to do it. The total lack of any effort to get help for the injured dog is unconscionable.

"Before she left, Lohre said she told the woman that when she was finished, she should leave the house through an enclosed mudroom in back. That way, Ruthie would not be able to get out.

At 12:22 p.m., Lohre said she received a call that the cleaning service had finished early, since an extra maid had come to help."

So the maid service called the owner, but did not think it was necessary to say, "By the way, we let your dog get out because we did not do what we promised to do, she got hit by a car, and we left her in the house."?

The dog was alive when the maid left. What she did was cruel. Veterinary care may or may not have been able to save Ruthie, but she deserved a chance or at least the option of euthanasia.

On top of it all, the maid left the house unlocked.
I wonder if she would leave her Child in the care of a maid she apparently just met? I mean if this dog was as important to her as she seems to portray, why wouldn't she have used one of those other options?

I'm not as dog crazy as this person seemingly is but I absolutely would not leave my dogs in the care of a maid or someone I don't know.

Seems this woman was looking for a big payday and seems unwilling to accept responsibility for her own action.

I agree that the maid did not handle anything regarding the dog well, but she is in fact a maid. Not someone I would trust with something as important as a member of the family.

Again, ridiculous and frivolous lawsuit.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I agree that the maid did not handle anything regarding the dog well, but she is in fact a maid. Not someone I would trust with something as important as a member of the family.

Again, ridiculous and frivolous lawsuit.
And the employer takes the responsibility for hiring such an irresponsible employee. Employers vetting and training process should definitely be improving after this. Without the lawsuit it would be business as usual. Sometimes you have to take drastic measures to get attention on a problem.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
And the employer takes the responsibility for hiring such an irresponsible employee. Employers vetting and training process should definitely be improving after this. Without the lawsuit it would be business as usual. Sometimes you have to take drastic measures to get attention on a problem.
I guess the way I interpret it as a dog lover, the owner is absolutely 100% responsible for their own pet. Not the maid, not the lawn guy, not the plumber.

I just think this will be sad if this maid service closes because of this judgement.

I feel really bad for the family that lost their pet, I know how hard it is but I think they have turned their anger into something much worse that is hurting people is all.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
Quote:
I guess the way I interpret it as a dog lover, the owner is absolutely 100% responsible for their own pet. Not the maid, not the lawn guy, not the plumber.

I just think this will be sad if this maid service closes because of this judgement.

I feel really bad for the family that lost their pet, I know how hard it is but I think they have turned their anger into something much worse that is hurting people is all.
If you read the courts opinion, the basis of the award wasn;t really some value of the dog, its more on the emotional distress the owner and family suffered because the maid service wasn't forthcomming in what happened. Had the maid service called the owner and said the dog got out and got hit by the car and took steps tio deal with it, it appears the judge wouldn;t have awarded anything but maybe the cost of getting another dog and possibly a refund of the cleaning charges. But the actions after the event was really what cause the award because thats what caused all the emotional distress.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:

if they didn't have liability insurance to cover an event such as this, then they probably shouldn't have had employees entering client's homes in the first place.... i say this as a former business owner who had employees in people's homes all day long.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If you read the courts opinion, the basis of the award wasn;t really some value of the dog, its more on the emotional distress the owner and family suffered because the maid service wasn't forthcomming in what happened. Had the maid service called the owner and said the dog got out and got hit by the car and took steps tio deal with it, it appears the judge wouldn;t have awarded anything but maybe the cost of getting another dog and possibly a refund of the cleaning charges. But the actions after the event was really what cause the award because thats what caused all the emotional distress.
as it should be....

Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,192 times
Not chiming in about the court's decision but rather the last part of the article: They adopted a new pet.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
So in Denver they award a huge sum of money because a dog was killed, regarding more than just some property.

On the flip side they don't think twice about killing your dog because it has muscles in Denver. I love the irony.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Tonight I drop my dog off at the groomer. While they are in possession of it they accidentally let it run outside and it gets killed. I would expect what I paid for her, plus all my vet costs since I've owned her, plus a couple of thousand bucks for my grief for sure. But 65K for a dog? Only if it's a service dog or something. I don't know if you can even be awarded that much for a death of a child in Minnesota. I don't think you can.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM

725 posts, read 3,016,185 times
Pullmyfinger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificflights View Post
if you read the courts opinion, the basis of the award wasn;t really some value of the dog, its more on the emotional distress the owner and family suffered because the maid service wasn't forthcomming in what happened. Had the maid service called the owner and said the dog got out and got hit by the car and took steps tio deal with it, it appears the judge wouldn;t have awarded anything but maybe the cost of getting another dog and possibly a refund of the cleaning charges. But the actions after the event was really what cause the award because thats what caused all the emotional distress.
this.

The arbitrary amount of $65k was not over the dog's worth. It's based on the negligence on the part of the maid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs