Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,772 times

Advertisements

Someone posted this on FB recently and it really touched me. Perhaps it's already been posted here before but in case you missed it:

Baggage

Now that I'm home, bathed, settled, and fed,
All nicely tucked into my warm new bed.
I would like to open my baggage Lest I forget,
There is so much to carry - So much to regret.
Hmm... Yes there it is, right on the top -
Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my leash hides Fear and Shame.
As I look on these things I tried so hard to leave -
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.
I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough - for they didn't want me.
Will you add to my baggage? Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things and take me right back?
Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage, To never re-pack?
I pray that you do - I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage - Will you still want me?

-Evelyn Colbath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,477,311 times
Thank you for sharing this. I have never read it before, and like you, gave. Me a lump in my throat.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:32 AM

884 posts, read 1,173,107 times
Aww, I have never read this either, but it is very touching. I teared up. It makes me want to give my dogs a big hug!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Sigh... I feel weepy now, especially because Artie was abused as a puppy and, really, has not gotten over whatever crap he's been through.

Honestly, I hope his issues are just simple reaction; I hope that Artie doesn't truly REMEMBER what he's been through. I hope that no dog who's been hurt or abandoned or scared or anything bad really remembers it. That would rip my heart out.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
I feel the same way. I consider my dogs' "baggage" to be "tender spots," things that I must tread gently around while I let them be the dogs they are meant to be. That might mean not looking at Eloise when I get too close to her, not touching Dodger's hindquarters when he's not looking, letting George just not interact but be happy sleeping on the laundry.
I so hope dogs don't cogitate "they don't want me" as that is so sad. A lot of us want you!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 AM

884 posts, read 1,173,107 times
I have a dog rescued from the pound, and a dog found on the street. I have no idea how long he was on the street, but it seems to have had the opposite of the stereotypical effect on him. He constantly wants attention and pets...always...he's forever in our laps, giving kisses, etc. (he also needs obedience training, working on that). My pound dog is pretty aloof, but he likes to snuggle with me on the couch sometimes. I have no idea who could have given up my babies, because they are wonderful. I hope they don't remember the bad times and only think about the times with us!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I feel the same way. I consider my dogs' "baggage" to be "tender spots," things that I must tread gently around while I let them be the dogs they are meant to be. That might mean not looking at Eloise when I get too close to her, not touching Dodger's hindquarters when he's not looking, letting George just not interact but be happy sleeping on the laundry.
That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I tread very gently around Artie's tender spots. Some people feel that I'm not actually training him to react properly by doing this. And they're probably right. And some people say that I'm not "showing him who's boss." And they're definitely right.

BUT...

At this point in his life -- after all the hell that he's been through -- I only want him to know happiness. I don't want him to know gruff voices -- I only want him to know my soft voice. I don't want him to know pain -- I only want him to know my gentle touch.

I have a dog walker who is a "great proponent of Cesar Milan's methods" (her words). I told her before she came the first time:

"As much as I admire Cesar Milan, Artie does not respond well to tough love. He responds much better to positive reinforcement, rather than being shown who’s boss. Cesar’s alpha roll is a definite no-no for Artie -- his belly is his gift to you and not something that can or should be forced."

I love what you do -- or don't do, as the case may be -- for Eloise and Dodger and George. "Tender spots" -- such a perfect phrase to use. I'm weepy again now.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
I have a dog rescued from the pound, and a dog found on the street. I have no idea how long he was on the street, but it seems to have had the opposite of the stereotypical effect on him. He constantly wants attention and pets...always...he's forever in our laps, giving kisses, etc. (he also needs obedience training, working on that). My pound dog is pretty aloof, but he likes to snuggle with me on the couch sometimes. I have no idea who could have given up my babies, because they are wonderful. I hope they don't remember the bad times and only think about the times with us!
Dogs are such interesting people, aren't they? And all so different.

I also hope that they only think about the good times with you. They say -- whoever "they" are -- that dogs live in the moment. Let's hope that "they" are right.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM

2,107 posts, read 3,017,572 times
thank you for posting that.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Thank you for the post......

It took me three tries to get all the way though it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs