Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

I don't know what I'm going to do.

This is my basset, my baby! I adore this dog!

I'm beside myself! I think it might be all my fault!!!!

I'm hoping he pulled a muscle and it's not his hip joint.

Early this morning he yelped out three different times. Twice when he tried climbing up on the sofa. Once when he was climbing into our back door. He can jump on the sofa and into the backdoor fine. He can climb the stairs fine. It just seems to be when climbing something a tad taller than a step.

I've been keeping an eye on him today. He took to bed under my nightstand. Not unusual. I decided to take a nap and invited him in with me. I picked him up. He burrows under covers. While under the covers, I could tell he was uncomfortable. He kept slightly switching positions.

When we got up from our nap, I decided to keep him inactive, not let him climb stairs, etc., to see if giving it a rest helped. Since he's my young dog, I didn't want to give him pain meds because he'd go bonkers and hurt himself. I can't contain him just yet since I have nowhere to contain him. He has been doing fine ever since the yelps in the early morning and the nap in the late morning.

Now hubby is fixing dinner. The dogs were standing in the kitchen watching him. The basset stretched out his back legs, like he was going to lay down. That's how he lays down. I was watching him. I saw the whole thing happen. His back legs just colapsed into a split. And he yelped. He came running to me and over to the dog bed and laid down. He was so upset by it. Then he got up and started walking again. When I fed them, he didn't dance like beagles do. Just hopped up part way.

I'm angry at myself. In hindsight, there were signs yesterday. He kept stretching. He doesn't do that alot. Like when he would be outside in the yard, he'd pause to stretch. And when he was in the attic with us last night, he was in a super happy mood. He kept stretching out. While he was in a stretch, I rubbed his back.

I FEAR I injured him! I FEAR I pressed down too hard on his back while he was in a stretch!

I have the 16 year old lab with the arthritis in his spine. Now my basset! It's easier to handle when it's the 16 year old lab. His time is coming. But not my baby! I'm not ready for my baby to have problems!

I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow. I just needed to vent. I feel so terrible about this. Even if it's not my fault, I'm not ready for this. I just adore this dog! He's fillng my heart during my empty nest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM

94 posts, read 204,548 times
Can you crate him to keep him still until vet visit? I hope it isn't anything serious. My friend swears by her canine chiropractor if xrays don't show any tendon issues or luxating patella, etc.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Breathe......

Slow down.....

Nothing was done to cause harm.....

Get though the night and call your vet in the AM.

Good thoughts are being sent your way from all of us.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
Can you crate him to keep him still until vet visit?
We don't own crates. I gave my lab's crate away to a neighbor when he was 5. The basset has never been in a crate because he was house trained when he came to live with us. I doubt he would take to well to it. He would probably be more active in one freaking out.

Now that he has eaten dinner, I can keep him calm and inactive. He mostly lays around in the evening. It would be similar to being in a crate---going outside only to do business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
I hope it isn't anything serious. My friend swears by her canine chiropractor if xrays don't show any tendon issues or luxating patella, etc.
Thanks! I hope it isn't serious too!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Breathe......

Slow down.....

Thank you!!!!

I'm going to hang out with him now!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I'm sure OP didn't hurt the dog by rubbing his back. Of course it's distressing to see your dog in pain, and are doing the right thing by taking him to the vet. He could have an ACL problem, or who knows what, but only the vet can reassure you and suggest whatever treatment is necessary. It's never a good idea to give a pain pill without knowing the source of the pain, which is why it's good to go to the vet as soon as possible, to figure out the problem and address the pain.
I love those bassets- maybe his ears got too heavy for him. Best wishes, and please keep us posted.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I love those bassets- maybe his ears got too heavy for him.
Funny!

My sister said he probably looks even sadder with those sad eyes! So true!

He's sleeping now. He'll be inactive for the night, except for going out before bedtime.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Breathe......

Slow down.....

I second what Driller said...and would only add that your pup will feel what you are feeling. As soon as you calm down, it will help you pup to calm for the evening, too.

Crossing our paws for a good report tomorrow. Please let us know!!!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
All of us pet lovers know how you are feeling...we will be thinking of you, best of luck.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM

He's not doing good. He stayed calm and rested all night. Except he tried to jump up on the sofa before I could stop him and he failed miserably. A couple hours later, when I carried him outside to go to the bathroom, he spread his legs to pee (he always pees like a girl), and was doing fine but then suddenly yelped out in pain. He ran over to me. Then he turned around and went to the patio, like he was heading back to go inside because he didn't want to stay out, stopped at the patio edge and didn't want to go up onto the patio. The patio is only 4" higher than the grass. I carried him inside and he's on the sofa with hubby until I carry him to our bedroom tonight.

It seems like his back leg slides backwards on him when he's walking. He'll be walking fine and then he pauses as his back leg is stretched out. It doesn't look painful. It just sort of looks like he is pausing to stretch it. But now I realize he is pausing because it gave out on him. He's pausing to catch it up.

NEWS. I think I figured out what happened to him. Hubby only now tells me that he jumped the retaining wall in our yard to see a neighbor at 7am this morning. The wall is 3-1/2 feet high. That has to be what caused this. Hubby denies saying he cleared the wall effortlessly, didn't cry out in pain and seemed fine. I think something was up with his back end before he jumped on the retaining wall, but the jump like that pushed it to the limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs