Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM

560 posts, read 539,689 times

Advertisements

So, I have 2 boxers; a 9 year old male and 6 year old female whose diet based on Pedigree. To improve their overall health & considering their ages, I decided to research to switch different brand.

Innova Evo kept coming up as one of most consistently reliable all natural brand for my dogs, so I've been feeding them for the past 9 days with this new brand.

Couple of observations I've noticed from them is the constant flatunce and bowel movement is sometimes soft in the morning to firm later on in the day.

Have you guys tried Evo for your dogs and were you happy ? I'm debating whether to keep up with the new food or switch to something else now? Feedback please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
EVO, particularly the red meat formula, is VERY rich...many dogs cannot handle the richness of that food. I personally wouldn't feed it, since it's now made by Procter & Gamble, maker of Iams which is a not so good food full of recalls.

Have you considered Orijen or Acana? It's made by Champion Pet Foods and comes from local sources, so all ingredients can be traced to its source. It's one of the best foods on the market.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
EVO, particularly the red meat formula, is VERY rich...many dogs cannot handle the richness of that food. I personally wouldn't feed it, since it's now made by Procter & Gamble, maker of Iams which is a not so good food full of recalls.

Have you considered Orijen or Acana? It's made by Champion Pet Foods and comes from local sources, so all ingredients can be traced to its source. It's one of the best foods on the market.
MAK, do you know if the Evo changeover to P&G really has taken place yet? My cats' bag of food (bought a few days ago) still says Naturapet for the manufacturer, no mention of P&G anywhere on the label, and I couldn't find recent info on the internet.
To the OP, Taste of the Wild is a great food too, and the flavor with venison and bison gave my dogs gas and loose stools, but the ones with duck or lamb have worked well. (I have to change their food up so the spoiled brats don't get bored).

Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
i also wanted to say 9 days is not long enough to get a good idea of tolerance, it can take a month and even longer for the body to adapt to the better food...

given their ages and how long theyve been eating meat flavored corn (pedigree) it can take quite a while for the stomach to adapt to a richer food.

evo in general though does tend to be incredibly rich, and i dont usually suggest owners switching to a red meat based diet imediatly when commng form a low quaility food, instead id try a lamb, duck or chicken based food then slowly moving to red meat if you want to.

if you want to continue with the evo though...thats fine its a great food

try adding about a teaspoon of dried parsley to their meals (twice a day) parsely helps with gas.
i generally suggest, if you feed only dry food, using about 1/4 a cup of warm water mix the parsely n and pour it on the food, the water helps it stick to the kibble
if usng wet food however it can just get mixed right in.

ive suggested the parsely frequently to bulldog owners whos dogs tend to be gassy no matter what food they are on lol

also given they are boxers and boxes can be prone to bloat make sure to keep some gas-x on hand as a just in case.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
MAK, do you know if the Evo changeover to P&G really has taken place yet? My cats' bag of food (bought a few days ago) still says Naturapet for the manufacturer, no mention of P&G anywhere on the label, and I couldn't find recent info on the internet.
Yes, it has. Natura now operates under P&G Pet Care division, meaning you will still see Natura on the label but it is made by P&G. Kinda sneaky, if you ask me! My friend, who owns a pet store here, said that the sales of Natura products have dropped so significantly since this announcement that he had no choice but to drop the line all together.

You can find more info here:

Natural Pet Food FAQs – Pet Feeding, Organic Pet Food Topics – Natura Pet Products

Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM

560 posts, read 539,689 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for the feedback and more infomation! to MAK: it is quite sneaky indeed and am pretty annoyed by that, cuz I researched extensively as i really wanted to avoid the pedigree, Iams, science diet kinda of diet completely.

Since I'm stuck with a full bag of Evo, I'll finish that up but not use evo wet food so much to go with the kibble. Loved the other op suggestion of using dried parsley, as that's what my vet told me this morning.

I'm between acana or wild of the call, as you're right about being on pedigree for years then jumping to completely red meat diet was probably bit too much for them. Will look into salmon or vegetable grain free brand of the two I was recommended. My vet did say to give it more time, as i felt 9 days just wasn't enough to really evaulate the effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs