Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,250 times

Advertisements

Switched to Walmart's Ol' Roy dog food temporarily due to financial hardship. Not long afterwards Hobbs, our lab mix, developed frequent urination and started licking his penis (unusual for him). Thinking he might have a UTI, took a urine specimen to the vet. Result: high alkaline, probably due to dog food. Anyone else have problems with Ol' Roy food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Just for fun, can you list the first 10 ingredients?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Just for fun, can you list the first 10 ingredients?
Discarded the bag. Looked up the ingredients online: Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt,

Not good, is it. And what is ANIMAL DIGEST? Have rejected cat foods containing that. Bought Ol Roy just as temporary food and now sorry we did it. Which ingredient(s) would screw up the urine PH? Have a friend who has always fed her 3 dogs Ol Roy and they did well on it or seemed to.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I rest my case, yer honor. As far as the UTI goes, well... I'm not a vet so I won't even hazard a guess. But I do know this: Dogs react individually to cheap food. My last Doberman got diarrhea and refused to eat it, and my current dog lost half her fur, got horrible scaly skin, AND had diarrhea until I settled on some decent food for her.

By the way, you probably DON'T want to know what "animal digest" is.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
The question this begs, for me, is what DOES a responsible pet owner opt to feed a pet if they come into financial issues? What's the cheapest way to feed your dog without compromising health, realistically?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The question this begs, for me, is what DOES a responsible pet owner opt to feed a pet if they come into financial issues? What's the cheapest way to feed your dog without compromising health, realistically?
This is a tough one. Won't buy Ol' Roy again--will at least buy Iams, Purina, or similar. Sure glad I don't own a Great Dane! Guess its time to do regular searches for online coupons.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:01 PM

374 posts, read 759,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I've heard good things about both Sam's (Exceed) and Costco (Kirkland) brands of dog food. I think they are around $29 for a 40 lb bag. Also, Petsmart has a store brand (Authority) that is probably less expensive.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Decent food at a decent price? Taste of the Wild. If there is a Costco near you they carry TOTW under their own brand.

I bet if you read the ingredients of Iams or Purina you won't like what you see.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times
Iams and Purina are just as bad as Ol'Roy. Not one ingredient in Ol'Roy is actually a real meat, it's all by-products! To answer your question, no, I've never had an issue with Ol'Roy because I would never in a million years give that to my dogs. I'd cook before I resorted to that!

As several pp mentioned, Costco's new Nature's Domain is the generic version of TOTW. If you don't have a Costco, TOTW is a much better food. Because it's grainless, you'll feed a lot less and save in the long run.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:18 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,434,961 times
We feed Caesar Wellness Core but there are a lot of other good dog foods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs